Accutane & Fin/Duta

outlawtas

Will Finasteride/Dutastride prevent hairloss caused by accutane? I'm not sure as to the reason why you lose hair on accutane and if it can be prevented by either med?

outlawtas2 said:
Will Finasteride/Dutastride prevent hairloss caused by accutane? I'm not sure as to the reason why you lose hair on accutane and if it can be prevented by either med?

I would seriously doubt either fin or dut would prevent any hair loss caused by accutane as both only help to block the conversion from test to DHT, and the mechanism by which accutane can cause hair loss is totally different.

Accutane is essentially megadosed Vitamin A. This high dose Vitamin A basically shuts down the oil glands and cures any acne problems one may suffer from. Unfortunately, it's this high dose of Vit A which is responsible for any potential side effects.

The one positive note is that any hair loss resulting from accutane use is generally reversible (unlike MPB). If you did happen to experience the dreaded hair loss side effect, you could discontinue use and have a great chance of growing back any lost hair.

HeHateMe said:
I would seriously doubt either fin or dut would prevent any hair loss caused by accutane as both only help to block the conversion from test to DHT, and the mechanism by which accutane can cause hair loss is totally different.

I thought it might be different.

Is hairloss on accutane dose dependant or individual? Also, what's the most common dose and duration?

outlawtas2 said:
Is hairloss on accutane dose dependant or individual? Also, what's the most common dose and duration?

I would think it would be more of an individual thing as you should start off at a low/mid range dose to begin with so early on you'll be able to tell if hair loss might possibly become a concern.

As for the dose, I know that it varies according to bodyweight. A 200 lb person would start off somewhere around 40mg/d in divided doses. It is usually run for a duration of 4-6 months I believe.

Have you already tried topicals such as clindamycin or benzamycin or internals such as tetracycline or doxycycline? I've used just topical clindamycin for quite some time and I find that it works extremely well. No acne whatsoever (well part of that is the fact that I haven't cycled in well over a year...LoL)

even if you are prone to mpb, i highly doubt you have anything to worry about with accutane brolly. I don't think i ever heard of anyone thinning or even losing small amounts of hair on it. I wouldn't run dut/propecia just for the sake of running accutane cause the side affects of dut and so forth out way any effects from accutane in imo.

According to my dermatologist, dose is 1 mg per kilogram body weight, split dose AM and PM with food. Run for 5 month then two months off and decide if a second cycle needs to be run. Hair loss is a possible side effect but less common. Almost everybody get chapped lips and dry skin. Other sides vary with individual.

outlawtas2 said:
Accutane cuts off the oil glands in your body; in your eyes for example, will make them dry because there is no oil production, in the hair I'm assuming similar. I doubt you can offset the accutane hairloss with anything.

outlawtas2 said:
I thought it might be different.

Some people get hairloss on accutane within one week, and others dont at all. But it will grow back once you stop use. I used it at 40mg per day for 6 months and then cycled it 2 weeks here and there if I ever had anymore trouble. Now if I ever get acne I do 20mg for a week and that takes care of it for a while.

Back