Affliction 2: January 24, 2009

Big difference between making a mistake and blatantly making shit up so that you sound like you know what you're talking about, which you obviously don't. Now let's address some of the other stupid shit you've said. What heavyweights would you rank above Arlovski besides Fedor, Nog, and Barnett? I'm sure you've got a much better top 10 than Affliction's stupid ranking system. I'd also like to hear why you prefer the cage to a ring.

Big difference between making a mistake and blatantly making shit up so that you sound like you know what you're talking about, which you obviously don't.

You most certainly are the authority and I bow down to your superiority. I don't care if you believe me or not but rest assured I'm not making shit up and it was an honest mistake. With not enjoying the July event, having seen other fights on the internet that I had not seen on the PPV, plus because the UFC has so many events I assumed that Affliction must have had more since then as well and that these fights were from those event. I was wrong in assuming this but I wasn't lying or tying to mislead. But your personality of being a prick has blown this out of proportion.

What heavyweights would you rank above Arlovski besides Fedor, Nog, and Barnett?

Arlovski, are you kidding me? This guy has not fought anybody of consequence since Tim Sylvia in 2006 who he lost to twice; and I don't put Sylvia any where near a top HW. Arlovski back then was toted as an exciting and strong fighter and then to be caught in 2005 and knocked out by Sylvia and then the subsequent rematch in 2006 that was the snooze fight of the century. Who's better then Arlovski in the Heavy Weight Division? How about Randy Couture? How about Brock Lesnar? How about Gabriel Gonzaga? How about Cheick Kongo? How about Mirko Cro Cop? Heath Herring could probably beat Arlovski and at least would be an exciting fight.

Right now Affliction does not have the calibre of fighters as the UFC. Don't get me wrong, they have some excellent fighters that I'd like to see fight but they are going up against has beens and wannabees, and why Fedor crushed Sylvia so easily and so quickly. There may be some diamonds in the rough that will come out of this but as new it is too early to tell. And will it last? Look at EliteXC as a prime example, some exciting fights but no where near the callibre of fighters as the UFC. But the nice thing is you can take less then calibre fighters and have them fight each other because they are on the same playing field so can still be exciting but would have their butts handed to them against top fighters like GSP, Silva and the like.

And the thing with both the EliteXC and Affliction, their shows had to have bands cranking out tunes and other flashing things to sell them as the fights were just not enough.

I'd also like to hear why you prefer the cage to a ring.

That is just my preference, nothing more. I've seen a lot of ring fights watching K-1, Pride and our local venue the MFC. I've seen some exciting fights for sure but I just like the cage. I like that people cannot fall out of it. I like the fact that you can pin your opponent to it to pummel, strike or deliver the clinch and knees. I like that you can use it to help you get up. There is an ominous feeling of the cage especially when you get into it and the door closes. While I've never had a MMA fight and don't plan to, for a no-gi submission grappling tournament I had several matches in the cage where it could be used to your advantage. And like I said, when the door closes for the first time you just get a sense of it. I can only imagine what it feels like when you do go to fight knowing somebody is trying to beat you down.

So please with your superiority please tell me how I'm out to lunch and that since you are the authority on everything what is right and what is wrong. Be careful with what you write because I'd hate to find that you made an mistake and that somebody jumps on you calling you a liar. Did your mom not give you enough love as a kid and why you are such a grumpy ass?

Last edited:
You most certainly are the authority and I bow down to your superiority. I don't care if you believe me or not but rest assured I'm not making shit up and it was an honest mistake. With not enjoying the July event, having seen other fights on the internet that I had not seen on the PPV, plus because the UFC has so many events I assumed that Affliction must have had more since then as well and that these fights were from those event. I was wrong in assuming this but I wasn't lying or tying to mislead. But your personality of being a prick has blown this out of proportion.

Arlovski, are you kidding me? This guy has not fought anybody of consequence since Tim Sylvia in 2006 who he lost to twice; and I don't put Sylvia any where near a top HW. Arlovski back then was toted as an exciting and strong fighter and then to be caught in 2005 and knocked out by Sylvia and then the subsequent rematch in 2006 that was the snooze fight of the century. Who's better then Arlovski in the Heavy Weight Division? How about Randy Couture? How about Brock Lesnar? How about Gabriel Gonzaga? How about Cheick Kongo? How about Mirko Cro Cop? Heath Herring could probably beat Arlovski and at least would be an exciting fight.

Right now Affliction does not have the calibre of fighters as the UFC. Don't get me wrong, they have some excellent fighters that I'd like to see fight but they are going up against has beens and wannabees, and why Fedor crushed Sylvia so easily and so quickly. There may be some diamonds in the rough that will come out of this but as new it is too early to tell. And will it last? Look at EliteXC as a prime example, some exciting fights but no where near the callibre of fighters as the UFC. But the nice thing is you can take less then calibre fighters and have them fight each other because they are on the same playing field so can still be exciting but would have their butts handed to them against top fighters like GSP, Silva and the like.

And the thing with both the EliteXC and Affliction, their shows had to have bands cranking out tunes and other flashing things to sell them as the fights were just not enough.

That is just my preference, nothing more. I've seen a lot of ring fights watching K-1, Pride and our local venue the MFC. I've seen some exciting fights for sure but I just like the cage. I like that people cannot fall out of it. I like the fact that you can pin your opponent to it to pummel, strike or deliver the clinch and knees. I like that you can use it to help you get up. There is an ominous feeling of the cage especially when you get into it and the door closes. While I've never had a MMA fight and don't plan to, for a no-gi submission grappling tournament I had several matches in the cage where it could be used to your advantage. And like I said, when the door closes for the first time you just get a sense of it. I can only imagine what it feels like when you do go to fight knowing somebody is trying to beat you down.

So please with your superiority please tell me how I'm out to lunch and that since you are the authority on everything what is right and what is wrong. Be careful with what you write because I'd hate to find that you made an mistake and that somebody jumps on you calling you a liar. Did your mom not give you enough love as a kid and why you are such a grumpy ass?

First off, please stop with the mistake line. If you were ignorant enough to think that the undercard of the first event was a second event, fine you can have that. But you went as far as to say you had SEEN not two but three or more Afflictions when making your point. You have been called out, you have been shut down. Moving on.

I hate to break it to you, but MMA rankings are not made by "who I think is better". They are based on fights won and lost in a given time period. Now let's look over the last few years. Arlovski has emerged from his threepeat horror story against Sylvia with five wins in a row against Marcio Cruz, Werdum, Jake O'brien, Ben Rothwell, and Roy Nelson. All of which are solid and dangerous opponents, two of whom were ranked in the top ten when he fought them (Rothwell, Werdum). He finished four of the five by KO or tko. Now let's take a look at the other guys you mentioned. In that same period Randy was KO'ed by Lesnar, a nearly unranked fighter with three fights under his belt. Not only that, but two years prior Randy was ko'd by Liddell. That puts him at 2-2 in his last four. Both of them are out. Gonzaga lost two straight to Couture and Werdum (who Arlovski easily beat) so no way he's breaking top 5. I'm not even going address the last guys you've listed because the notion of them being ranked above Arlovski is simply retarded. Kongo? Herring? You really must have no understanding of what a ranking system is.

As far as the ring vs. cage goes, the average fan like yourself tends to favor it simply for the visual appeal. However people who have seen many different promotions understand that a ring (and more specifically a ring with Pride rules) promotes a more MMA oriented fight, with striking on the feet and the ground being the primary mode of offense, as opposed to the cage which unnecessarily favors American wrestling by giving fighters the ability to fat each other against the cage for three rounds.

i liked the ring in pride, but i never thought of it that way

A ring has corners. This is extremely important in facilitating striking exchanges because it allows one opponent to "trap" another and force an exchange. When you combine that with the allowance for knees to downed opponents you create a scenario where shooting against someone is ill advised if a takedown is not scored immediately.

well do knees on the ground and the box ring go hand in hand....i mean i just figured pride allowed it and the ufc didn't...and yeah i can see where that can make it more of an exciting/stand up atmosphere

UFC vs PRIDE
Cage > Ring
No knees to downed opponent < Knee to downed opponent
No kicks to Opponent on ground < Kicks to downed opponent
Elbows on the ground > No elbows

The shitty part in regards to the ring is the ability to fall out. With the cage, there is no out of bounds. I understand there are also no corners, but how often are guys being pinned in the corner anyways? Usually they get trapped in the corner, fall to the ground and hide under the turnbuckle (that's what it was called in the WWF), then get reset in the middle of the ring.

and instead of getting pinned up against the side of the cage, the ref pulls the fighters off the ropes, which i guess is another stand up benefit

Knees are allowed in the UFC to a downed opponent, just not to the head; to the rest of the body is game. As well kicks are allowed to a downed opponent in the UFC, again just not to the head. You see this all of the time when a guy is on his back with his feet up protecting himself from his opponent that is kicking his legs, butt or trying to stomp him. There is probably more to these rules and probably more for protection of the downed person so can understand this.

I do dislike the ring for that same reason, opponents get under the ropes and have to be stopped and restarted. I've seen too many times them not being set up the same way; and I have also found this takes away the momentum of the aggressor in many cases.

Some thing I like about the roped ring; you can see the fight better in a live match. While I've never seen the UFC live I have KOTC and a few other events held locally that at certain angles it is difficult to see the fight and you have to rely on the video screens; if they have any. However I have also found if you are sitting low at ring side or level on the floor it is also difficult to see; again screens are need otherwise you miss too much of the fight.

Head kick and knees to the head of a downed opponent are good. There were some sick knockouts in Pride that way

I agree but you have to admit not a good thing for the downed fighter and could result in more injuries; more serious injuries. As a sport I think they made the right choice in the UFC to not allow this. Probably a good thing as well as in the U.S. with the earlier UFC being banned in so many States that this kind of thing might not be looked on as good. Pride being in Japan mostly this could fly easier.

I've never heard of a serious injury from someone getting soccer kicked. Kicking someone on the ground is the same as kicking them standing.

I don't agree. Lay on the ground and let me wind up and kick your head. That "is" different then me trying to take your head off while standing up. I can generate more force while you are on the ground with me kicking at a lower level. I can take advantage of my hip torque more because I don't have to stretch like I would if kicking you higher.

the-many-moods-of-fedor-mma-ufc-fedor-affliction-fight-fight-demotivational-poster-1216879860.jpg

hate to break it to you, but MMA rankings are not made by "who I think is better". They are based on fights won and lost in a given time period. Now let's look over the last few years. Arlovski has emerged from his threepeat horror story against Sylvia with five wins in a row against Marcio Cruz, Werdum, Jake O'brien, Ben Rothwell, and Roy Nelson. All of which are solid and dangerous opponents, two of whom were ranked in the top ten when he fought them (Rothwell, Werdum). He finished four of the five by KO or tko. Now let's take a look at the other guys you mentioned. In that same period Randy was KO'ed by Lesnar, a nearly unranked fighter with three fights under his belt. Not only that, but two years prior Randy was ko'd by Liddell. That puts him at 2-2 in his last four. Both of them are out. Gonzaga lost two straight to Couture and Werdum (who Arlovski easily beat) so no way he's breaking top 5. I'm not even going address the last guys you've listed because the notion of them being ranked above Arlovski is simply retarded. Kongo? Herring? You really must have no understanding of what a ranking system is.

I do have to agree with this. Congo and Herring are the new Evan Tanner/Chris Lytle. Sometimes ok to watch, but will never be in the top tier.

affliction should be airing their events on free television not PPV if they want to grow fast.

i hesitate to buy many UFC events, im not going to pay for an affliction event with a few big names with a bunch of UFC rejects mixed in.

Back