Am I a Candidate for TRT?

My results say...

LH 7.1 mIU/mL
FSH 6.3 mIU/mL

Yikes. You definitely qualify.

I honestly feel that it's best to start things one step at a time. While the guys are right that the extras may not be necessary, you may see a benefit if you still feel that "something is missing". Start the testosterone, get a blood test in a month to ensure its the proper dose and whether or not an AI is needed - then start reassessing the situation one step at a time.

My .02c :)

I can also speak to the Semorelin. I took it off and on for a couple of years. Studies have shown you need to take it in excess of four months for it to start showing positive effects. I personally did not think it was worth the money. IMO if your going to spend the money and dose yourself every day, your better off just using HGH. All those positive effects you stated from Semorelin sound great, but you will notice more of a difference with TRT than you will with Semorelin.

Sounds like you don't get the best bang for the buck there. Thanks.

It sounds like you're definitely dealing with one of the antiaging clinics? They like to sign you up and dump lots of money because they make money off the prescriptions. I tried this route at the beginning, and after becoming more informed I went to my primary care physician for my TRT. As many can attest to, finding a good knowledgeable doctor about TRT is not easy.

Yeah, Boston Testosterone Partners.
My PCP is not one of those doctors who would recommend TRT. I haven't told him yet.

Reference range?
For me, ref range for B12 is 211-946. I'm at 537.

Most doctors use IGF-1 to gauge your growth hormone levels.

Sermorelin may have some benefits, but I've read plenty of stories from men who've noticed no difference besides a lighter wallet from using it. If your natural IGf-1 is low it might make sense, but if yours is normal I don't see much reason to use it...especially at that price tag.

My IGF-1 was fine before TRT, but testosterone has done plenty to drive mine up since then. Mine is at the top of the range without the use of Sermorelin.

According to my bloodwork, my Insulin-Like Growth Factor I is 164 ng/mL with ref range 75-216.

If I start TRT and later wish to stop, possibly due to lack of positive effects or not wanting to pin anymore, is it a big deal to stop?
Are there any ramifications I need to be aware of?

If I start TRT and later wish to stop, possibly due to lack of positive effects or not wanting to pin anymore, is it a big deal to stop?
Are there any ramifications I need to be aware of?

You will not only go back to where you started, but probably even lower levels of testosterone. Of course this depends on how resilient your pituitary gland is, how long you're on, and if SERM therapy is used to assist recovery.

Given your ample LH, I think things will only continue to deteriorate for you.

For me, ref range for B12 is 211-946. I'm at 537.

According to my bloodwork, my Insulin-Like Growth Factor I is 164 ng/mL with ref range 75-216.

Yea, neither the B12 or Sermorelin are a necessity for you.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with being treated by a TRT clinic, but you have to keep in mind that some of these places are trying to get as much money from you as they possibly can. They do this by telling you that you need a bunch of extra stuff, and then charging you a pretty penny for it. Many people just agree because they are desperate to feel good again.

The tried and true "must haves" are testosterone and hCG, and that's it. Perhaps an AI like Anastrazole if the there is a need, but most are able to get on a protocol that doesn't require them to use one.

All the other extras are just kinda gimmicky, or there for people who have lots of extra money laying around.

HW, boy that sounds depressing. :)

Do you mean that with respect to me going on TRT, then off?

Or did you mean if I don't go on TRT.

Both.

You have to remember that this is for a medical reason, which could stem from trauma to the testes, drug interactions, a genetic disorder, or a number of causes that we don't fully understand yet.

Instead of thinking how this is depressing, think about the fact that you caught it before it wrecked you. I went a very long time with low testosterone, and my health seriously deteriorated along with any aspirations to do do anything in life. TRT is a godsend when needed. ;)

Both.

You have to remember that this is for a medical reason, which could stem from trauma to the testes, drug interactions, a genetic disorder, or a number of causes that we don't fully understand yet.

Instead of thinking how this is depressing, think about the fact that you caught it before it wrecked you. I went a very long time with low testosterone, and my health seriously deteriorated along with any aspirations to do do anything in life. TRT is a godsend when needed. ;)

Hmm.... much better perspective. Thanks.

Sounds like this is a no brainer for my situation.
Time to go on TRT and stay on.

Perhaps an AI like Anastrazole if the there is a need, but most are able to get on a protocol that doesn't require them to use one.

Hmmmm.... if I take say 200 mg test cyp, I will most likely need to take the AI, versus if I take say 140mg, I might not?

Also, if I get pinned twice a week instead of once, does it reduce the chance to need an AI?

Dont forget to take a second blood test to confirm the numbers..

Good point Lenex. The doc said his patients usually get labs twice a year (at $228 a pop), but I definitely want to go again after starting to make
any necessary adjustments so that I'm dialed in. I would think 1 month in should be about right, yes?

Hmmmm.... if I take say 200 mg test cyp, I will most likely need to take the AI, versus if I take say 140mg, I might not?

Also, if I get pinned twice a week instead of once, does it reduce the chance to need an AI?

I just started TRT in June so all this is fresh in my mind.

1. Pinning 2x a week will help to stabilize your T levels. use an insulin syringe - they are almost painless and the needle is very small. I pin my thigh in 3 different areas on each leg. This gives me 6 pinning spots - the more the better.

2. Once you start TRT, you will want to wait AT LEAST a month - 6 weeks is better before you get blood work. It will take around 30 days for the serum to saturate your system. I say "around" because this is different for everyone. For me It was closer to 5 weeks. Your real Total Test and estrogen (and need of an AI) can't be determined until your system is FULLY saturated. At first you will want to get a blood test every few months to get dialed in. For example, If you end if needing an AI, you will want to ensure you are taking the right amount. Crashing your estrogen will bring about a number of bad things.

3. Start of with just Testosterone injections and nothing else (like HCG). It's very important to add one thing at a time so you can determine how it affects you (physically AND mentally). Iv'e read that HCG can made some guys moody / anxious. You will want to understand "is this the test making me feel this way or the HCG or the AI dose, etc"

Like I said I started TRT in June and am still getting dialed in. I'm 5'9" 160lbs and fit / low body fat but still needed a small AI dose. (.25mg 2X a week).

good luck!

Both assumptions are correct. A dose of 200mg/week isn't unheard of, but most of us do not need nearly that much for hormone replacement.

Good point Lenex. The doc said his patients usually get labs twice a year (at $228 a pop), but I definitely want to go again after starting to make
any necessary adjustments so that I'm dialed in. I would think 1 month in should be about right, yes?

Give it 6-8 weeks before getting your first labs.

Why does it cost $228? Are you not in the US?

Back