Am I hypothyroid? Sorry, wasn’t sure where to ask

Bone Jeff

Hi. I’ve had extreme fatigue, depression, muscle weakness and pain, erectile dysfunction, stopped having dreams, dry skin and hair, gained 8 lbs suddenly, BP spikes, constipation, back and joint pains, etc... for a year now.
Turned 50 ironically at this same time and was in best physical and mental shape of my life.
I’ve been on trt for 7 years and 6 of these years have been the best era of my life.
Well, that came to an immediate halt a year ago and turned into the worst period.
During this time got diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency at 15.2. Got that to 44.9 in 2 months. Was hoping that was the problem. Doesn’t seem like it.
Scheduled to see an endo in two weeks but am continuously trying to figure this out because my “life” has pretty much ended and would really like it back.
I’ve been wondering if my thyroid is the issue.
Here’s my labs:
T3 free-3.2(2.8-5.3)
T4 free-.6(.7-1.9) looking back 5 years this is always under range even when feeling “great”
TSH-3.02(.40-4.70)has been gradually rising
T3 reverse-13(10-24)
Thyroperoxide-1.0(<9.0)
Thyroglobulin-1.8(<4.0)
Anyway, it’s been really aweful and am looking for help and advice.
I’m having a sleep study done soon too but I’m 90% sure that’s not it. Don’t snore and am not obese.
My symptoms have many hypothyroidism related ones.
People have suggested this is my problem. GP doesn’t think so. He referred me to endo as I said to hopefully figure this out.
Sorry for the long post but you guys seem really smart and I am trying to narrow this down so this year doesn’t turn out like last year.
Thank you
Jeff

I am not a thyroid expert but your numbers look fine to me. TSH and Free T3 look to be in the normal range.

Have you checked your hormone levels recently? Let's see TT, E2, SHBG, Prolactin, etc. Maybe check your cortisol as well.

Everything looks in range as far as your thyroid labs go. However, this does not mean there is not a problem. You could have adrenal fatigue, or a number of other issues. Have you ever blasted/c***sed? Or have you ever added another compound?

Get complete labs done to get a bigger picture. What is your dose/frequency of TRT?

Last edited:
Everything looks in range as far as your thyroid labs go. However, this does not mean there is not a problem. You could have adrenal fatigue, or a number of other issues. Have you ever blasted/c***sed? Or have you ever added another compound?

Get complete labs done to get a bigger picture. What is your dose/frequency of TRT?

my trt dose is 80mg/every 5 days.
is adrenal fatigue real? how bad can that be? treatable?
thanks.

Read a thyroid primer on another website, and they said in a nutshell you are not hypothyroid if your free T3 is in range. Yours is, so that's good news.

TSH is pretty unreliable, but again yours is in range. Free T4 is low, that would be one place I would focus on.

Do you have any other symptoms, like changing body temp throughout the day, or intolerance for cold?

Regarding adrenal fatigue - do you take any HCG? There is a doc on here that posted long term TRT without HCG will eventually fry your thyroid and/or adrenals. Might be worth starting HCG, it is cheap and effective.

Last edited:
Great points Tankmanbob. Yes you can fry your adrenals. HCG is definately a good idea if you are not on it..

have you ever done a cycle? what else did you take in your trt? hcg, deca? and once again tankman said it that long term trt without hcg will damage your thyroid.

Thanks guys. No cycles. Just trt.
I all of a sudden get cold easily. I’m always cold and never was before coincidentally during this bad time. Also skin and hair are dry now. Way different.
T4 is pretty much what I’ve been looking at as well as getting cortisol checked.
Either hypo thyroid or Cushings or Addison’s makes the most sense.
Thanks again.

thanks again guys.
I can't see endo til Jan 4 but I guess they have discussed Cortisol levels first either high or low after looking at my symptoms. I guess they want me to do the testing after appointment.
My GP said he wouldn't run that cuz he doesn't feel comfortable with it? is there a reason why he'd feel like that?
are these conditions hard to treat?

Last edited:
Your Cortisol will be whatever your Cortisol is. Running labs/pulling your blood first thing in the morning/fasted is essential. This gives you a baseline. This is why you should be consistent in when you get your labs done.

To answer your question, your Cortisol will be lower in the morning, than it would be in the afternoon.

What are the most common problems regarding cortisoll and men on moderate trt? Just trying to get an idea what I may b facing. Thanks.

Cortisol is released from the adrenal glands and is the stress hormone. Too high of cortisol is not good, also too low cortisol is not good. When you have high Cortisol levels, things such as wound healing can be affected and take longer. Amino acid uptake among other things can also be affected.

From Web MD..
Cushings syndrome, which involves having too much of the hormone. Addisons disease, which is caused by having too little.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, just wondering what did you find out, did you rule out the thyroid?

Thanks for asking.
Endo thinks I have Cushings. AM blood test was real high. Now being worked up for further tests.
This is pretty much what I thought even though it’s pretty rare.
I have felt so bad for over a year and now his one made the most sense symptom wise and now numbers are adding up.

Your thyroid looks fine. You probably have lower levels of binding protein that accounts for lower t4.

Cushings huh? interesting. They did use multiple means of testing correct? Will need to r/o pituitary adenoma etc.

Keep us updated and take care

Dr. B .

Your thyroid looks fine. You probably have lower levels of binding protein that accounts for lower t4.

Cushings huh? interesting. They did use multiple means of testing correct? Will need to r/o pituitary adenoma etc.

Keep us updated and take care

Dr. B .

thanks a lot. doing a few more tests to confirm. actually look forward to hearing I have it and go from there and cut it out and hopefully recover not too long from now.
what does r/o mean?
doing 24 hour urine today and two nights of saliva at 11. Wednesday will be dexamethasone.
thanks again. this has been Hell, especially not knowing why.

Back