Anyone here on TRT and Thyroid replacement hormone(s)?

Alpin

Just wanted to know if anyone on here is on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and/or on TRT?
How has it worked out for you?

Just wanted to know if anyone on here is on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and/or on TRT?

I am. Nature Thyroid and Levothyroxine. Not sure what you mean about how its worked out. The thyroid meds address my thyroid issues, the TRT addresses well...those issues.

I definitely feel better on thyroid meds than off,that's for sure. But getting my thyroid levels in check didn't fix my hypogonadism.

-Jim

I am as well. When I first got my blood work done for TRT, they tested my TSH. It was a little high but not to bad. It appears that there is some debates about what the high end of normal levels are. My Dr. recommended that I do thyroid meds. I was a little hesitant because I wanted to research it first before making a decision. About six months later and better informed, I decided to try it. I really cant tell a difference per say except I think my metabolism is faster. I have found it easier to loose weight and maybe have a little more energy. I am 39 years old. I've been on TRT since April of this year- 200 MG of test cyp a week and started Armour 30mg everyday in the am in Sept. From what I have read, that is a low dose. I cant say any negatives in my case. I do think that it can jack up BP in some people.

I am. Nature Thyroid and Levothyroxine. Not sure what you mean about how its worked out. The thyroid meds address my thyroid issues, the TRT addresses well...those issues.

I definitely feel better on thyroid meds than off,that's for sure. But getting my thyroid levels in check didn't fix my hypogonadism.

-Jim

Thanks for reply. ...
did you have anxiety and fatigue off thyroid meds?
How do you feel off thyroid meds and on TRT?
(If you tried it)

I am as well. When I first got my blood work done for TRT, they tested my TSH. It was a little high but not to bad. It appears that there is some debates about what the high end of normal levels are. My Dr. recommended that I do thyroid meds. I was a little hesitant because I wanted to research it first before making a decision. About six months later and better informed, I decided to try it. I really cant tell a difference per say except I think my metabolism is faster. I have found it easier to loose weight and maybe have a little more energy. I am 39 years old. I've been on TRT since April of this year- 200 MG of test cyp a week and started Armour 30mg everyday in the am in Sept. From what I have read, that is a low dose. I cant say any negatives in my case. I do think that it can jack up BP in some people.

Thanks for getting back to me. What were your free t3and free t4 levels?
any anxiety or irritable feelingd starting ouy the meds?
Do they make u hyper combined with the TRT ?

-Jim

What was your TSH, FREE T4 And FREE T3 before going on thyroid meds?

Thanks for getting back to me. What were your free t3and free t4 levels?
any anxiety or irritable feelingd starting ouy the meds?
Do they make u hyper combined with the TRT ?

My TSH was 2.73, My T3 was 3.1, not extreme number but enough that a mild dose would be beneficial. No anxiety or irritability. I had been doing the TRT for 6 months before starting it so I really didn't notice an increase above what I experience with irritability with the TRT which wasn't much. I am a naturally busy body so I haven't noticed any anxiety. I work nights so my schedule can be jacked up- I take my dose at 8 am even on days that I get off work at 7am and go to sleep at 9am- I haven't noticed any issues with sleep either which was my big concern taking it in the am on days that I sleep after work.

My TSH was 2.73, My T3 was 3.1, not extreme number but enough that a mild dose would be beneficial. No anxiety or irritability. I had been doing the TRT for 6 months before starting it so I really didn't notice an increase above what I experience with irritability with the TRT which wasn't much. I am a naturally busy body so I haven't noticed any anxiety. I work nights so my schedule can be jacked up- I take my dose at 8 am even on days that I get off work at 7am and go to sleep at 9am- I haven't noticed any issues with sleep either which was my big concern taking it in the am on days that I sleep after work.

How nice I been at TSH of up to 3.47 and plenty in the 3.33 and 3.12 range and no one ever gave me F all.
Free T3 was 4.6 last month off TRT. That's shitty too.
Free T4 was 12.9....
All my youth its been 17-19. So def. Things are comibg down.
I eat plenty iodized salt too for months now....

I've been on Levothyroxine for about 4 years. My TSH was over 6.00 at the time. I can't remember my T3 & T4 levels. I started at a dosage of 25mcg per day and have steadily increased it over time to keep everything in the normal ranges. The last blood test was back in early September. Here was my lab results:

TSH 6.08 -------------Normal .45-4.5 HIGH
T4 8.6 ----------------Normal 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 31---------Normal 24-39%
Free Thyroxine 2.7----Normal 1.2-4.9

It's kind of odd that my TSH is high but everything else is fine.The doc increased my dosage from 112mcg to 150mcg.

I have never really felt any difference from the Levothyroxine, even when all the numbers were in the normal range. I didn't feel much of anything until I started on TRT about 6 months after having been on thyroid medication.

I've been on Levothyroxine for about 4 years. My TSH was over 6.00 at the time. I can't remember my T3 & T4 levels. I started at a dosage of 25mcg per day and have steadily increased it over time to keep everything in the normal ranges. The last blood test was back in early September. Here was my lab results:

TSH 6.08 -------------Normal .45-4.5 HIGH
T4 8.6 ----------------Normal 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 31---------Normal 24-39%
Free Thyroxine 2.7----Normal 1.2-4.9

It's kind of odd that my TSH is high but everything else is fine.The doc increased my dosage from 112mcg to 150mcg.

I have never really felt any difference from the Levothyroxine, even when all the numbers were in the normal range. I didn't feel much of anything until I started on TRT about 6 months after having been on thyroid medication.

You aren't getting proper treatment. Like me, they started you on T4 only, and it shows. You aren't converting enough to T3, the one you feel. TSH is essentially your brain screaming for more T3. On T4 only I never got TSH down, on dessicated meds like Armour and Nature, whick are combination T3/T4, you can get your TSH down.

My pre med TSH was like 5 I believe. After proper treatment it hovers between .1 and .4.

Its hard to tell how I felt when I started... A lot of things were really off at the time. When I started thyroid meds I also had a TT of like 97 so who the hell knows.

I was on thyroid meds for years before TRT. Don't notice any conflict between the two.

-Jim

I might be on Thyroid meds and TRT after this next week. Going into the Hormone Clinic I started with to review my labs and put together a plan. My TSH started at 3.7, as I've raised my test levels, my most recent TSH was 2.14. He believes in getting TSH under 2. However, I'll see what he thinks this week.

I might be on Thyroid meds and TRT after this next week. Going into the Hormone Clinic I started with to review my labs and put together a plan. My TSH started at 3.7, as I've raised my test levels, my most recent TSH was 2.14. He believes in getting TSH under 2. However, I'll see what he thinks this week.

My TRT doc says 0.35-1.5 is optimal for TSH.
My recent results were: TSH 2.12 Free T4 12.9
Years ago and much fitter, slimmer etc. TSH was 1.96 and Free T4 was 19
Big difference.

My TRT doc says 0.35-1.5 is optimal for TSH.
My recent results were: TSH 2.12 Free T4 12.9
Years ago and much fitter, slimmer etc. TSH was 1.96 and Free T4 was 19
Big difference.

Funny how all Drs differ on ideal TSH levels. As long as you don't expierence hyper symptoms, I remember my doc wanting me between .1 and .4.

-Jim

This TSH thing puzzles me... I have had the following values since starting TRT (they are roughly 3 months apart):

By some measures, these would be a bit high... but I can't see myself as hypothyroid in any way... always been skinny fidgety and have lots of nervous energy. Only put on some fat in abdominal region when T declined in my 40s... that is gone now.

TSH is only part of the equation.

Important to note that us TRT guys cant really get therapeutic amounts of iodine in our diet cause reg salt raises b.p. in TRT guys....
Its wise if TRT guys consume salt substitutes that are iodized or 66% less sodium iodized salt. Thyroid needs that stuff. Not enough to wait on diet alobe to get ample iodine.

Important to note that us TRT guys cant really get therapeutic amounts of iodine in our diet cause reg salt raises b.p. in TRT guys....
Its wise if TRT guys consume salt substitutes that are iodized or 66% less sodium iodized salt. Thyroid needs that stuff. Not enough to wait on diet alobe to get ample iodine.

Doesn't salt affect TRT and Natty guys the same?

Thats what I thought as well Megatron. My BP used to be high before TRT and cleaner eating and salt was no good. For helping control it thats for sure. I would say yes its the same, on or off it raises my BP.

Back