Are steroids considered a relapse to a recovering opiate addict? Advise-a-noob.

I've got 14 months clean from a bad oxycontin addiction and ran a cycle this past summer no prob. Don't consider it a relapse at all, but for what its worth i don't agree with everything NA preaches to begin with as some of it is very contradicting like nicotine and caffeine as already mentioned

I credit CA for helping me get clean, but I've learned a lot since and don't have any use for the twelve step programs anymore. I love the people I met there but the program itself can turn into an addictive, vicious cycle. I would sincerely urge anyone to at least read this book with an open mind and form your own opinions:

AA: Cult or Cure? Preface

I hit 2 meetings a week and try to be a better person, but I'm never gonna buy into everything NA preaches

I totally agree. Thinking NA was a cult though allowed me to pat myself on the back and continue a viscous path of addiction. It wasn't until I found hit my bottom and found the humility to make a decision that I did not have all the answers, shut up and listen and put the advice that was given into action. I think the steps are great for getting your life back on track, and its medicine for the soul being able to go somewhere and talk about your struggles without being judged or having to pay someone a ridiculous fee just to listen. At the same time, a lot of people do become addicted to the program itself, and I think a lot also outgrow the program as well. I did develop a wonderful appreciation for my God, and that is more than I could have asked for in itself. They say some people feel the rain and others just get wet. I feel like its time to continue on, using the principles recovery teaches you of openness, honesty, integrity, and willingness to accept you don't have all the answers within yourself. Once you overcome that barrier, life changes and interests and activities take on a renewed beauty. These are powerful concepts of self discipline I think really coincide and benefit a structured workout regimen. Its a way of life, much bigger than just drug addiction; everyone has an addiction of some form, its all the same monster just a different head. Some addictions just have worse outcomes than others.

I still will continue to hit meetings at least twice a week to humble me and remind me where I started. The biggest reward of working a recovery program is being able to carry on the message and help other addicts. I am advanced past the steps at this level, but I still apply them in my life and will continue to work them. They work if you work them. I do not really like the culture, but I like the message.

As for my weight loss, what are some great supplements that can really give me an upper hand and actually work with a structured cardio routine? I was never a big fan of cardio unless it is a bicycle, swimming, or elliptical. Plus I have HBP so I always am fearful my heart is going to pop or something... lol. Any suggestions to get down from my BF% quickly, in a healthy way, would be great. There are so many diet trends its hard to decipher which ones ACTUALLY get best results.

I totally agree. Thinking NA was a cult though allowed me to pat myself on the back and continue a viscous path of addiction. It wasn't until I found hit my bottom and found the humility to make a decision that I did not have all the answers, shut up and listen and put the advice that was given into action. I think the steps are great for getting your life back on track, and its medicine for the soul being able to go somewhere and talk about your struggles without being judged or having to pay someone a ridiculous fee just to listen. At the same time, a lot of people do become addicted to the program itself, and I think a lot also outgrow the program as well. I did develop a wonderful appreciation for my God, and that is more than I could have asked for in itself. They say some people feel the rain and others just get wet. I feel like its time to continue on, using the principles recovery teaches you of openness, honesty, integrity, and willingness to accept you don't have all the answers within yourself. Once you overcome that barrier, life changes and interests and activities take on a renewed beauty. These are powerful concepts of self discipline I think really coincide and benefit a structured workout regimen. Its a way of life, much bigger than just drug addiction; everyone has an addiction of some form, its all the same monster just a different head. Some addictions just have worse outcomes than others.

I still will continue to hit meetings at least twice a week to humble me and remind me where I started. The biggest reward of working a recovery program is being able to carry on the message and help other addicts. I am advanced past the steps at this level, but I still apply them in my life and will continue to work them. They work if you work them. I do not really like the culture, but I like the message.

As for my weight loss, what are some great supplements that can really give me an upper hand and actually work with a structured cardio routine? I was never a big fan of cardio unless it is a bicycle, swimming, or elliptical. Plus I have HBP so I always am fearful my heart is going to pop or something... lol. Any suggestions to get down from my BF% quickly, in a healthy way, would be great. There are so many diet trends its hard to decipher which ones ACTUALLY get best results.

I'd be glad to point you in the right direction. This Isn't related to the thread but i feel like your post contributed a lot to it and since you got your cardio down i think you deserve a good answer.

EC stack(ephedrine/caffeine) Yohimbine(fasted) and green tea. Those four compounds are very effective on a caloric deficit and with cardiovascular exercise in improving fat burn/caloric expenditure/appetite supression. Research all three, if you have any questions, i would be glad to answer if you start a new thread. Good luck :D

Last edited:

Best thing is to figure out your personal TDEE, and consume approximately 500 fewer calories each day. Avoid liquid calories, they won't fill you up as much as real food and you'll have a harder time keeping a calorie deficit. For supplements, once you've sorted out your diet do some research on Albuterol, Clenbuterol, ECA stacks - they can help but aren't magic, they won't do shit all actually if you're eating above your TDEE.

Looks like most of your questions have been answered.

I will make this point though. And I think you really need to think about this the most, maybe while you're on the treadmill burning some calories ;)

AAS in itself is not addictive. However, neither is gambling. Gambling isn't a drug, you don't drink it, smoke it or inject it. But the act of gambling, the rush it brings, thinking the next hand is gonna be the one... is... to one with an addictive personality.

AAS use is no different, if you have an addictive personality, AAS use could easily become an addiction.
Longer cycles, more compounds, saying F it, and deciding to blast and cruise, then just 6 month blasts....
Most people never get this bad, but some do. But most people can go out and have a few beers, and not end up on a three day bender, but some do.

Think long and hard, very hard, before you jump into a lifestyle that is not only illegal, but is something you have to hide, and lie about... Which are probably things that are quite familiar with from your past life.

Good luck friend.

If AA is a cult then so is steroidology. If you don't have something positive or helpful to say then go somewhere else.

Totally agree. If you take time the to understand the program and to do the steps you'll see it's a blue print to a miracle ! We first have to ask God or a higher power for help cause we can't do it ourselves other wise you wouldn't need the program ! AA, na, ca is all God based. Most of you guys sound like you have no foundation under yourselves and that's not a good thing.

I'm 63 days sober today in CMA... When I started recovery, I thought I was only putting down Crystal... I soon found out it's so much more.... I would be putting down everything not perscribed by a doctor. I have a TRT perscription, but I'm an addict... If some is good... Then more is better... And if more is better.... A lot more is fuckin awesome! A gram of test anyone?
I asked my sponsor about this immediately and he was willing to give me a pass for a year... He said I'd probably feel different about roids by that time.
Well, he was not at all ready for a sponsee on a gram of test plus tren plus decca. My cycle made me a perpetual horn-dog looking for his constant fix of ass! He soon threatened to fire me if I didn't at least drop my test levels to a manageable level.... It was too hard to work with me with this constant sexual distraction. I stomped my feet... But ultimately surrendered. I'm slowly going off cycle now.
Whatever you are willing to put down ultimately leaves more room in your life for the gifts of sobriety... Which you deserve... We all do.
That being said, this is a matter for you and your sponsor... The self confidence which keeps you sober, today, needs not come from a vial of test. Also, it sounds like you have some work to do before this is really an issue. Your BF should be closer to 10 percent before steroids make sense. Do the work first!
As for me, I went from a year reprieve to a goal of abstinence. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, today. My sponsor says after a year of sobriety we can talk about a moderate cycle!

Very nice bro!!!

As someone with a very serious previous history of opiate addiction, a thorough knowledge the AA/NA & the 12 steps, several years of experience working in a recovery hospital, and extensive experience with steroids, here is my opinion.

1.) Most of the people in AA and NA know little to nothing about steroids. Their opinion regarding any cause an effect relationship between AAS and opiate addiction is patchy, at best. Do not go to these people for advice. How can you expect someone who has little to no knowledge of the primary subject matter (steroids) to render sound advice in this area? You can't.

2.) There is no set rule for steroid use post-addiction. Some people have no problems with it and miantain their recovery without any problems at all, while it causes struggles for others. Steroids activate some of the same regions of the brain that opiates do, which has caused some people to claim that it is a doorway to actuve addiction. I do not believe this is the case, as the receptprs that are activated by AAS are quite different than those activated by opistes. the fact is that each region of the brain can be activated by MANY different tings. For example, eating a piece of chocolate will activate the same regions of the brain as opiates do, but no one would ever claim that chocolate consumption is a doorway to active addiction. The point is that this theory is based on an inadequate understanding of how the brain works, but those who lack the education to refute the claim often think there is some validity to it, when in reality there is not...at least not any more than saying chocolate (or 100 other things) increases the possibility of relapse.

3.) Does this mean I condone steroid use in recovering addicts? Not necessarily. With AAS being mentally and physically gratifying, newly recovering addicts are more prone to abuse AAS in the same way they abused opiates than are non-addicts, strengthing the addictive behaviour they are trying to break. While resolving these behavious are a matter of resolving internal conflict, it does not help to put an outlet for this addictive behaviour right on front of them.

4.) Now, AAS are NOT the same as street drugs like cocaine, pot, heroin, etc. The reason addicts want to quit using opiates, aside from potential health issues, is because the drug often causes the user to make choices which can severely damage his life. Generaly speaking, steroids do not cause this type of behavior. When is the last time you saw a steroid user whoring himself out for a tab of d-bol...or stealing from loved one to pay for their vial of testosterone? When was the last time you saw a steroid user give up his rent money for some winny..or spend his child's grocery money on some deca?

5.) I advise againts those who are new in recovery using steroids. They should wait until they are firmly established in their recovery and they have resolved the majority of the internal reasons which caused the to use in the first place (at least a couple years). At that point, I am not necessarily opposed to one proceeding with caution, so long as others in their support group are fully aware of their decision and actions. This will help prevent the user from slipping back into his old ways unnoticed. Each situation should be decided on a case by case basis. Some recoverung addicts should probably never use AAS, while for others it is OK. I don't know you, so I can't advise you one way or the other--I can only provide information. Keep in mind that not everyone in recovery or those who work in the field of recovery agree with me. I have come to my conclusions based on my knowledge of these 2 classes of drugs, as well as my experiences with myself and others, but I will readily admit I don't have concrete answers. I don't think anyone does, but I strongly believe some recovering addicts are able to engage in steroid use at some point on their recovery without significantly endangering their recovery. I have seen it happen, so I know it can occur.

As someone with a very serious previous history of opiate addiction, a thorough knowledge the AA/NA & the 12 steps, several years of experience working in a recovery hospital, and extensive experience with steroids, here is my opinion.

1.) Most of the people in AA and NA know little to nothing about steroids. Their opinion regarding any cause an effect relationship between AAS and opiate addiction is patchy, at best. Do not go to these people for advice. How can you expect someone who has little to no knowledge of the primary subject matter (steroids) to render sound advice in this area? You can't.

2.) There is no set rule for steroid use post-addiction. Some people have no problems with it and miantain their recovery without any problems at all, while it causes struggles for others. Steroids activate some of the same regions of the brain that opiates do, which has caused some people to claim that it is a doorway to actuve addiction. I do not believe this is the case, as the receptprs that are activated by AAS are quite different than those activated by opistes. the fact is that each region of the brain can be activated by MANY different tings. For example, eating a piece of chocolate will activate the same regions of the brain as opiates do, but no one would ever claim that chocolate consumption is a doorway to active addiction. The point is that this theory is based on an inadequate understanding of how the brain works, but those who lack the education to refute the claim often think there is some validity to it, when in reality there is not...at least not any more than saying chocolate (or 100 other things) increases the possibility of relapse.

3.) Does this mean I condone steroid use in recovering addicts? Not necessarily. With AAS being mentally and physically gratifying, newly recovering addicts are more prone to abuse AAS in the same way they abused opiates than are non-addicts, strengthing the addictive behaviour they are trying to break. While resolving these behavious are a matter of resolving internal conflict, it does not help to put an outlet for this addictive behaviour right on front of them.

4.) Now, AAS are NOT the same as street drugs like cocaine, pot, heroin, etc. The reason addicts want to quit using opiates, aside from potential health issues, is because the drug often causes the user to make choices which can severely damage his life. Generaly speaking, steroids do not cause this type of behavior. When is the last time you saw a steroid user whoring himself out for a tab of d-bol...or stealing from loved one to pay for their vial of testosterone? When was the last time you saw a steroid user give up his rent money for some winny..or spend his child's grocery money on some deca?

5.) I advise againts those who are new in recovery using steroids. They should wait until they are firmly established in their recovery and they have resolved the majority of the internal reasons which caused the to use in the first place (at least a couple years). At that point, I am not necessarily opposed to one proceeding with caution, so long as others in their support group are fully aware of their decision and actions. This will help prevent the user from slipping back into his old ways unnoticed. Each situation should be decided on a case by case basis. Some recoverung addicts should probably never use AAS, while for others it is OK. I don't know you, so I can't advise you one way or the other--I can only provide information. Keep in mind that not everyone in recovery or those who work in the field of recovery agree with me. I have come to my conclusions based on my knowledge of these 2 classes of drugs, as well as my experiences with myself and others, but I will readily admit I don't have concrete answers. I don't think anyone does, but I strongly believe some recovering addicts are able to engage in steroid use at some point on their recovery without significantly endangering their recovery. I have seen it happen, so I know it can occur.
Great post and I totally agree. Especially about if you are going to go down this road you should only try after you have some time in recovery and your foundation built underneath yourself. It's a general rule of thumb in recovery to not start a relationship untill you have completed the steps and actually start recovering. The first 6 month to a year souls be consumed with just working on self ! We cannot even begin to start making major decisions like using aas until are thinking and are mind is in better shape. Or how the big book would put it " once the fog has lifted ". Just because we stop using drugs doesent mean we're sober, we're just dry drunks/ addicts. It's not untill we have worked the steps and fixed inside of are minds is when we are sober.

I've been sober for over 4 years.

the OP question has gone through my head a lot. especially using orals like dbol, anadrol and quick acting injects like TNE. the i
near instant gratification of those hormones exited the junkie within. it feels so good, the pump, strength boost, libido boost and the physical look are all off the chart.

with most if not all gear more equals bigger better results
the ceiling on diminishing returns is very high (at least it is with me and my experience)
this can be another risk for us as recovering addicts.

Coming off a cycle can be very tough mentally. especially if the cycle brought great gains and or was long and high dosed.

my last PCT was very tough mentally because I was on for 20+ weeks.
my sobriety was tested hard for a couple months. a handful of pills and a few beers hadn't sounded so good for years.
relapse had not been so close ever

I'm only sharing experience here. no way am I telling anyone how it is or what to do.

using gear has changed me for the better.

I am now on TRT through a legitimate doctor. I will continue to cycle(blast)

I have been to AA. (never NA). the program works, the 12 step works for those who want to make it work.
I went on and off for about a year I wouldn't bash any of it.
it saves many people from a hellish existence.

I have been clean for over three years now, it may sound weird but fitness probably saved my life. I look at steroids as my reward for staying clean. I will never drink again, but then again I can't wait to do tren.

I agree with meathead, as I am 2 years clean from alcohol, trt as well but blast and cruise myself, I did cstch myself not wanting to dropbsck down to 200mg a week and ran a blast for about 6 months, but now I do 3 months blast and 3 months cruise, like people said because we got an addictive mindset u gotta remind yourself aas could lead to the same shit abusing it like we abused alc or drugs
But aas doesnt lead me down to wanting my drug of choice if thats what u mean bro, but everyone is dif exspecially if u poked shit into your stream to gt that high, amd aas might trigger u if u used needles for your opiates

Last edited:
Back