Best base for MMA

A

Alpha17

Hi all

I want to start training in various techniques so that some day I can move into MMA fighting. I do boxing and im starting BJJ and Muay Thai next week. Would this be a good start or would you advise I train in other disciplines.

Thanks

Stick with your boxing and BJJ for now. Here is a good article to read...

Boxing for MMA competition

By admin on Dec 3, 2006 in Boxing

Boxing skills are absolutely essential for anyone who wants to compete in mixed martial arts. You simply cannot step into the ring or cage with the well rounded fighters of today if you are missing this important part of the mixed martial arts puzzle.

BoxingNor can you simply take that piece of the puzzle and expect it to fit into your MMA game without a little bit of tweaking on your part.

Ideally you would have the expertise of a coach that knows both sports and knows how to integrate them together.

You can use this article as a supplement to the training you will receive from a qualified coach.

Let’s take a look at the difference between the way a boxer boxes and the way a MMA fighter boxes.

The main differences are…

* How to cover up and absorb punches to the head - The gloves that are used as a boxer are quite a bit bigger than the gloves used in MMA. This gives you a larger shield to hide behind when your opponent attacks. Also the impact the fighter receives is not transferred to the head as much with the large gloves of a boxer as it is with MMA gloves. So where as a boxer may cover up by putting his gloves directly in front of his face and letting the impact be absorbed by the gloves, a mixed martial artist needs to defend differently. The preferred cover up method for MMA is to use the forearms and elbows. For a straight punch the hands are placed palm down against the top of the forehead, which puts the forearms in the correct position in front of the face. For hooks, the palm of the hand is slid to the back of the head, which brings the entire outside of the arm into position to protect the side of the head.
* How to duck under punches - In a fight, a boxer will commonly duck under a punch by bending forward at the waist. In MMA your opponent is allowed to knee and/or kick you in the head. So if you duck a punch by bending at the waist while in a MMA fight, you could be asking for trouble. It is a much better idea to keep your body upright and bend your knees to duck under the attack. This will protect you from eating that unwanted knee to the face.
* Why you pinpoint your strikes - In both sports it is important to throw accurate strikes. If you hit a vulnerable area of an opponent’s body, you will cause more damage and that is the ultimate goal of throwing your strikes in both sports. But with the lighter MMA gloves on, there is one other reason to throw your punches accurately. They don’t offer your hand as much protection as a heavily padded glove does. If you miss your target and hit the forehead for example, it could result in a broken hand a lot easier than if you had larger gloves on. So when you throw your punches, aim.
* How hard of a punch you can take - A professional boxer wears gloves that are usually around 10 oz, but the gloves used in MMA are only 4 oz. This drastically changes how hard of a shot you can take without going down. Now this does not mean you should be passive and not engage the opponent out of fear of taking damage. It only makes the instruction all fighters are given “Protect yourself at all times” that much more important. Hit and don’t be hit.

Although there are many differences between how you would regularly box and how you would box in MMA, they do remain small differences. For the most part you can take the skills you learn as a boxer and directly apply them to mixed martial arts. There only needs to be a little tweaking.

Some things that are universal regardless of whether you are stepping into a ring to just box or stepping into a cage for a MMA fight are…

* Hands up and chin down - Always protect yourself by keeping your guard up. A chin tucked down next to your shoulder is a lot harder to hit than one that is sticking out.
* Circle to the opponent’s blindside - This ensures that you stay away from his power hand and/or power leg. It also gives you less weapons to deal with because he can only reach you with lead hand/leg attacks.
* Stay light on your feet - Mobility is vital for both kinds of fighter. This is what keeps you in range to strike and what keeps you out of range to not be struck. The ability to use your techniques effectively is largely determined by how good your footwork is. Staying mobile also makes it harder for your opponent to set up a planned attack.
* Throw your punches in combination - Very simple, one punch is easier to defend than two, three or four. It also makes it harder for you opponent to counter strike, because he is on the defensive.
* Punch with your whole body - By coordinating the movement of your body correctly, you can put the power of your entire mass behind each punch. This is done by using they legs to power the rotation of the hips and shoulders, which in turn puts more power into your arm and the punch.
* Be well conditioned - If you are in a fight and you run out of gas, whether you are a mixed martial artist, boxer, wrestler or submission wrestler, you will be finished. Literally.

This should give you a good start in learning the basics of boxing for mixed martial arts and in knowing how to tweak your training of this important art to better suit a MMA fight.

Cheers, great info..Ill try to adjust or alternate my training

BJJ and Boxing are great bases for mma. I have boxed at the college level for a couple years. i would reccomend getting your footwork down and blocking and also slipping punches. Defense is always very important, i would also reccomend wrestling for explosiveness

To be totally honest the replies in this thread are innaccurate.

The single best base for MMA is wrestling.

How many times has a world class kickboxer gotten ihs ass handed to him in an MMA match in the firsdt round to a decent wrestler.

Mayweather would get his ass kicked by any collegiate wrestler in an MMA match.

That being said my preference is BJJ for subs, and wrestling for the ability to stuff takedowns and keep it standing with Mui Thai for staning.

Take a look at The Ultimate Fighter. The guys who do the best are the guys with strong wrestling backgrounds.

Learn takedowns and takedown defense. If you can control a fight on the ground you don't need black belt level BJJ. You just need to be able to hold a guy down and hit him (Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes are perfect examples)

I also think I would want to learn kicks as well as punches, so MT or kick boxing might be more well rounded for MMA.

But I still love BJJ :D

wrestling is a good base, but so is bjj and even judo.

a huge part of why wrestlers do so well is because they tend to be extremely hard working gifted athletes. lot of guys get into the fight game who haven't wrestled have no idea about how hard you have to work to be a good fighter. wrestlers do, and once they pick up the other needed skills, that work ethic pays serious dividends.

Well grappling arts are a good base period, to say wrestling is best is FALSE, it all depends on what bodliy movements come natural to one, I compete professionally, and the one thing I can tell you is that each individual and their arts carry their advantages. From experience, STRIKING makes a huge difference in the fight.......

I have to agree with wrestling and some sort of hand skill... Look at Randy Coture and Chuck Liddel.. one has mad wrestling the other kick boxing/kempo.. Simply put If one could be well versed in the big 3 hed be mean..... Wrestling / kickboxing / ju jitsu or Judo.. Look at the champs Anderson Silva gorge st pierre. etc... But wrestling is one of the tops fo sho.

I have to agree with wrestling and some sort of hand skill... Look at Randy Coture and Chuck Liddel.. one has mad wrestling the other kick boxing/kempo.. Simply put If one could be well versed in the big 3 hed be mean..... Wrestling / kickboxing / ju jitsu or Judo.. Look at the champs Anderson Silva gorge st pierre. etc... But wrestling is one of the tops fo sho.

Wrestling Hands Down. Your first two examples were Randy for wrestling and Chuck for Kempo/kickboxing. Chuck wrestled D1 for Cal Poly, his original base was wrestling and GSP is the best wrestler in MMA period. He didn't have a backround before his Karate but he has proved that he is best by making former D1 wrestler (Koscheck, Fitch, Sherk, Hieron) look absolutely ridiculous. Silva is definitely an exception, that guy is a beast in the stand-up game, he throws lasers. However, I think if he ever gets beat it will be by a great wrestler.

Well grappling arts are a good base period, to say wrestling is best is FALSE, it all depends on what bodliy movements come natural to one, I compete professionally, and the one thing I can tell you is that each individual and their arts carry their advantages. From experience, STRIKING makes a huge difference in the fight.......

i would have to respectfully disagree with you there, while striking is a good skill, a striker WILL fall to the ground. Hell, lots of boxers loose balance and fall by themselves. Once a striker falls to the ground, he has nothing left. DONE. A wrestler with a not so good striking ability will always find a way to bring you to the ground and once he does the fights over. I would have to agree that in the MMA world wrestling is #1

If you have superior stand up skills a wrestler wont be able to take you down. Meaning you have a great sprawl, all around movement, and distance management. I fight semi pro and used to teach jujitsu and self defense. I also wrestled in high school.

If you have superior stand up skills a wrestler wont be able to take you down. Meaning you have a great sprawl, all around movement, and distance management. I fight semi pro and used to teach jujitsu and self defense. I also wrestled in high school.

That is good wrestling. I also fight and coach wrestling and my wrestling has helped me beat guys much better than mean overall. I also am a BJJ practitioner now, but when I first started I was beating guys light years ahead of me in BJJ just by dominating position and using very basic subs (americana, kimura, chokes). If I ever was losing stand-up exchanges I just would hit singlesor tie up and throw.

Matt Hughes (who I hate) made Royce look awful with his superior wrestling and broke his arm with a kimura (Royce didn't tap but stated afterwards that his arm was broken)

That is good wrestling. I also fight and coach wrestling and my wrestling has helped me beat guys much better than mean overall. I also am a BJJ practitioner now, but when I first started I was beating guys light years ahead of me in BJJ just by dominating position and using very basic subs (americana, kimura, chokes). If I ever was losing stand-up exchanges I just would hit singlesor tie up and throw.

I guess that is a good point. Its really not that hard to get in close even if you take a shot or two getting there.

Wrestling is far and away the best base for MMA. Someone who has great wrestling can get by on just that skill while they improve the other areas of their game, Brock Lesnar for example.

A good wrestler can dictate where the fight takes place, this is such an important aspect of MMA.

GSP is an exception due to the fact that he never wrestled before MMA and has turned himself into the best MMA wrestler out there. Most of these kids have been doing this and developing that work ethic since very early childhood, like even 5-6 years old.

Its this work ethic that almost all wrestlers have, that helps them develop into top tier MMA fighters. This work ethic is applied to learning striking and submission grappling that they pick it up much faster.

I never wrestled yet still acknowledge that it is the best base. I have always been partial to BJJ and Muay Thai, If you dont come from wrestling or dont have top notch instruction available to you, you better become very good off your back because make no doubts about it, a wrestler will take you there. Case in point was this last weekends Marquardt/Sonnen fight. Nate is a great MMA fighter who was made to look sub par by a superior wrestler.

Most of the top pros will tell you that wrestling and boxing are the top two diciplines you need to be good at to be successful. That being said, regular boxing training is going to help but you need a coach that recognizes the needs for tweaking the instruction towards MMA. You need a different stance in boxing for MMA because the traditional stance is far to upright and will leave you vulnerable to take downs.

I absolutely love Muay Thai and it is no doubt effective in MMA, Joe Rogan described it best when talking about watching Anderson Silva fight. He said its liking watching a ballet of violence, great quote. The thing is with Muay Thai, the kicks will a lot of times, leave you open to takedowns if your opponent is a wrestler. If he is a striker/bjj guy with minimal wrestling, then is when Muay This really shines.

Ok, thats enough ranting for me, lol. I am very passionate about this stuff and love to talk about it.

Back