Best Cardio ?

JRL

What is the best cardio to mantain muscle mass ?

How many days ?

How intensity low or high ?

My goals is lose some fat and mantain my muscle mass

Thanks for all

JRL ....... :)

i always go for lower intensity cardio. Lately i've been doing the elliptical on level 1 for 45 minutes. I think the key to burning off the fat is time not intensity. Or you could walk on an incline for same amount of time.

I've reworked my routine where i want to get around 4 days of cardio. 2 days during the week after i lift at about 25 minutes, then sat and sun for 45 mins a piece.

I have a treadmill in my house This my cardio plan 3.0 speed and 4.0 incline for 45 min 4 days a week is good ?

evansss said:
i always go for lower intensity cardio. Lately i've been doing the elliptical on level 1 for 45 minutes. I think the key to burning off the fat is time not intensity. Or you could walk on an incline for same amount of time.

I've reworked my routine where i want to get around 4 days of cardio. 2 days during the week after i lift at about 25 minutes, then sat and sun for 45 mins a piece.
thanks for your comment dude ;)

Drako said:
I like a good old smash about the bag or some light sparring seems to do the trick.

i used to go to a boxing gym on the weekends back in the day....hell of a workout.

JRL said:
I have a treadmill in my house This my cardio plan 3.0 speed and 4.0 incline for 45 min 4 days a week is good ?
Just a brisk paced walk.

A level that you can carry on a conversation while doing. About 65-70% if using a heart monitor.

Double3 said:
Just a brisk paced walk.

A level that you can carry on a conversation while doing. About 65-70% if using a heart monitor.
Thanks for the idea ;)

sprinting dude...2 days a week 15-20 mins, approx 100yds each sprint is the best thing you can do while still maintaining mass

the best cardio????

something that u can do for a long time.

again, i cannot stress this enough, running is not for everyone. if you can't run, find an alternative..MMA, walking, swimming, basketball...stuff like that

Your fat burning rate depends entirely on your heart rate. Strictly to encourage low intensity fat burning, I would recommend a range slightly lower than JRL, 60% - 65% of max for people who are not particularly interested in increasing cardio output. Pick any exercise you like, buy a cheap HRM that beeps when you hit your target zones, and you will slowly siphon off your fat. You can use the age formula (220 - age) to determine max heart rate but a more accurate number would be to buy your HRM, warm up for 10 minutes and then sprint to failure - an exercise bike works well for this. The peak rate on your HRM is where to get your 65% number. Get into the 80% - 90% max range and you will start burning insane calories but you will tax other systems not conducive to gaining muscle mass.

20 minutes HIIT Cardio for me, 2 or 3 times a week...Honestly if your diet is spot on you can almost get away with not doing cardio at all. I like to hit the VO2 max though occasionally and get the internal furnace going

bump for HIIT!

Alot of people talk of LSD because of the predominant energy system used and how fat is the main fuel source.

What some fail to recognise is the volume of fat and total calories burnt from HIIT is superior to LSD for fatloss I would say by far.

Preserving muscle would all come down to your diet.

enigm@tic said:
bump for HIIT!

Alot of people talk of LSD because of the predominant energy system used and how fat is the main fuel source.

What some fail to recognise is the volume of fat and total calories burnt from HIIT is superior to LSD for fatloss I would say by far.

Preserving muscle would all come down to your diet.
In general I would agree with you and I normally do workouts in the 90% of hr max range (cycling). I was a collegiate cyclist and I used to be a spin instructor. I gave 90% of max advice to regular people who were looking to lose weight. After the initial waves of nausea passed, it worked well for a lot of people.
Hard core body builders, on the other hand, could only handle that intensity for around 10 minutes and always ended up leaving class early. Maybe I'm off here, but I thought the focus was on retaining mass and that simply does not work terribly well with high intensity cardio workouts. I have trouble with gaining mass myself because I refuse to entirely give up cycling. For burning huge calories, high intensity wins far and away, but the serious or semi-serious mass gainer needs to be away of the extra glycogen depletion issues as well as other effects that are not part of their overall goals.

Yeah well if I wanted to add mass then I wouldnt do cardio unless it was for general fitness purposes, but then you'd have to make sure you ate even more calories to be able to afford it/make up for it.

I suppose those bodybuilders in your class were either unfit or lazy, but I really doubt you would lose any considerable amount of muscle from high intensity cardio sessions unless you were malnourished from a poor diet.

Not trying to slam either cardio method, but they do produce very different effects. As I said, I actually prefer the puke-inducing effort of high output aerobic efforts because that's the kind of sport I got started in. Too often, I think there are some body builders who ignore the aerobic side of their overall fitness, but I always assumed this was a choice made in favor of gaining mass. After all, serious weight lifters do seem well educated about their sport enough to know the trade-offs they are making.

basically it's debateable...When "my" diet is absolutely perfect "I" need minimal cardio all together. HIIT burns more fat...wether or not it protects muscle or not I don't know. I also believe that long term steady state cardio takes you into a catabolic state...beyond 45 minutes. All training methods are simply theories with research to back them up. Cliche: "There's more than one way to skin a cat." I can only tell you from my experience. I have been using hiit for all my cardio, which I don't consider to be a lot of cardio, and my bf% has been going down, waistline going down, and shoulders, chest, arms, and thigh measurements going up.

Back