Best way to sterilize equipment without an autoclave

Ligand

I am not able to use an autoclave at the moment, are there any alternatives to autoclaving? I have heard about using heat and isopropyl but I would like to hear what you guys do.

Thanks

I've heard people using a pressure cooker heated between 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit with some distilled water and a metal shelf to keep items from directly sitting in water.

I've heard people using a pressure cooker heated between 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit with some distilled water and a metal shelf to keep items from directly sitting in water.

I vaguely remember hearing about this. Thanks for the idea, this is what I'll probably use

A pressure cooker will do the job just fine, you can buy autoclave bags from ebay and then once blasted in the pressure cooker for 20 min stick in over at 120c until the vials/stoppers are dry.

I don't know but i'm sick of getting dirty vials from RLS (i know they have new name)
I've been boiling them in distilled water then rinsing the vials in distilled water
then baking them in oven to get clear. Fucking takes forever.

I use a pressure cooker brother!! At 250F, 15 psi for 30 mins. Never had an issue with it. Works great and is cheap as hell. Just get the pressure cooker, put a wire rack about 1/4 way up, used about an inch or two of water in the bottom and start cooking. Just you dont want the equipment touching the water.

well go pro that really sounds much faster and cleaner. does it come with a wire rack or did you fab it up?

and distilled water correct?

well go pro that really sounds much faster and cleaner. does it come with a wire rack or did you fab it up?

and distilled water correct?

Yeah, distilled water. I know a lot of UGL's that use the same process. Its how i home-brew. And the rack came with it, Its all stainless steel of course.

well i'll try it and report back cause the glass vials are fucking extra dirty now.

thx for the info. I love this place :)

I don't know but i'm sick of getting dirty vials from RLS (i know they have new name)
I've been boiling them in distilled water then rinsing the vials in distilled water

Was it dirty? Or was it crashed/out of suspension? if its dirty inside then you cant clear it up by cooking it. You have to use a syringe filter and sterile already sealed vials and transfer everything. I know other ways to clear up cloudy gear to using BB or BA depending on mgs/ml dosages.

this +10

A pressure cooker at 15psi is an autoclave. Avoid aluminum pressure cookers mine always leaves a small amount of al oxide coating everything, but it doesn't matter at all for sealed vials which is all i ever do. For quick jobs on glass or metal i just use methanol and a toaster oven, let stoppers air dry. Note that all kinds of contaminates are floating though the air, your body sheds 1 million flakes of skin every hour each with microorganisms on them. So when you are all done autoclave the product or make sure to let the BA work for 24h. The body can fight off quite a bit, but still best to be absolutely safe.

Last edited:
Back