blood donation complete

No it does nothing. your idea is to dilute the blood?

With all due respect... since hematocrit is ratio of RBC to liquid volume, and blood liquid volume varies with hydration state, yes, of course measured hematocrit will vary with hydration state. A web search of "dehydration hematocrit" will make this very obvious. Yes, it's temporary in the sense that once hydration reverts to average the reading will too, but that's not the point.

If you are close to the reading where they will turn you away at the blood bank ( my reading was 17.7 and they don't accept over 18.2 g/dL ), then it will be a good idea to arrive as hydrated as possible to minimize the chances that they will send you home for excessive hemoglobin.

Another thought. My Red Cross had a list of meds that will prevent from being able to donate. One of those meds was finasteride. I know some of the guys on here are using it for hair loss prevention. I wanted to mention this, as i never found that information previously during my research.

With all due respect... since hematocrit is ratio of RBC to liquid volume, and blood liquid volume varies with hydration state, yes, of course measured hematocrit will vary with hydration state. A web search of "dehydration hematocrit" will make this very obvious. Yes, it's temporary in the sense that once hydration reverts to average the reading will too, but that's not the point.

If you are close to the reading where they will turn you away at the blood bank ( my reading was 17.7 and they don't accept over 18.2 g/dL ), then it will be a good idea to arrive as hydrated as possible to minimize the chances that they will send you home for excessive hemoglobin.

You and I are on the same page, but we're not thinking the same way so our 'outcome' varies. MP, if water solved the problem, therapeutic phlebotomies would have never existed. testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patients would never have blood donations as part of their protocol. hCT, hGB, RBC are all related. This is like the "drink grapefruit juice" myth.

So what you're telling me is, hydrating gives me plenty more plasma, and adds ZERO RBC's, correct? If that's true, wouldn't you suddenly suffer blood pressure issues? Water dilution is negligible. Blood is there to stay until you remove it. There's no other way around it. The amount of water you'd have to drink to make a real impact would be fatal. Millions of patients, including myself, would love to resolve this issue with water.

Hydration does play a role in Hematocrit levels.

Dehydration will, in fact, raise hematocrit.

Again, it won't make a difference. The altitude of where you live also plays a role. If you're at 55%, there is not a safe amount of water that will bring you down to a reasonable level. Donations are still recommended today and were discussed at the ENDO2013 show among the highest level and most up to date endocrinologists and urologists.

We are not yet advanced enough to resolve the issue without bloodletting. We do not possess the science to make it happen safely.

Last edited:
Again, it won't make a difference. The altitude of where you live also plays a role. If you're at 55%, there is not a safe amount of water that will bring you down to a reasonable level. Donations are still recommended today and were discussed at the ENDO2013 show among the highest level and most up to date endocrinologists and urologists.

We are not yet advanced enough to resolve the issue without bloodletting. We do not possess the science to make it happen safely.

Nobody (certainly not me) argued against donating, or suggested that drinking water can permanently solve the problem or that hydrating can bring 55% down to 45%.

My point was simply that being well hydrated COULD make the difference between being accepted or rejected for blood donation IF you are borderline.

I get it. That's why I said were on the same page. The repetitiveness was seemingly indicative that the idea of hydration is a solution.

I get it. That's why I said were on the same page. The repetitiveness was seemingly indicative that the idea of hydration is a solution.

Hydration is critical for so many things but the point is we need to stay well hydrated to get an ACCURATE Hematocrit reading brother.

I live at high altitude so high Hematocrit is more common as well as dehydration.

Hydration is critical for so many things but the point is we need to stay well hydrated to get an ACCURATE Hematocrit reading brother.

I live at high altitude so high Hematocrit is more common as well as dehydration.

I don't really see the point at all. We are supposed to be well hydrated at all times. This is like saying you must breathe regularly for accurate oxygen readings.

No need to overthink this really, your hydration level, regardless of what it is, will not vary your result by several points, ever. If the range was 0.01 to 0.03, I would see your point, but that's not the range. Its 38 to 52. These fractional differences from hydration are negligible.

Simple. Hydration is a MUST for human. hydration IS NOT a solution for lowering hematocrit levels to a safe zone. Never will be.

I'm mind boggled at the repetitiveness in this thread. Really has nothing to do with the topic of LOWERING hCT to a safe level.

Guys that train are commonly dehydrated so they go in and get checked and freak out when its really no big deal.

Anyway I have had 3 draws in the last 3 weeks. One was a blood donation. The first draw my Hematocrit was 49 BEFORE the donation at Bonfils blood center. I gave a pint of blood that day. About a week later I got labs and my Hematocrit was 47.5. Then I went to see my Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) doc a week later for a draw and it came out a 51. LOL!

At my Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) doc I have to be cool and stay on true testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) so my Test dose was actually lower than previously plus I had given blood and my Hematocrit came out a 51! Guess what the nurse told me when she called to give me the results?

Guys that train are commonly dehydrated so they go in and get checked and freak out when its really no big deal.

Anyway I have had 3 draws in the last 3 weeks. One was a blood donation. The first draw my Hematocrit was 49 BEFORE the donation at Bonfils blood center. I gave a pint of blood that day. About a week later I got labs and my Hematocrit was 47.5. Then I went to see my Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) doc a week later for a draw and it came out a 51. LOL!

At my Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) doc I have to be cool and stay on true testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) so my Test dose was actually lower than previously plus I had given blood and my Hematocrit came out a 51! Guess what the nurse told me when she called to give me the results?

Let me guess, she said you're dehydrated? If so, what does that prove? Keep in mind our discussion is in reference to lowering hCT to reasonable levels.

Dr. Richardson said:
Dehydration will, in fact, raise the hematocrit. Intracellular water losses also occur with dehydration, but the net result is still a temporary relative increase in one***8217;s overall hematocrit.The dehydration issue was actually addressed by the UCI when they establishedthe hematocrit monitoring rule in 1997.

Ask the Doctor, with Dawn Richardson: Hydration and hematocrit - VeloNews.com

Dehydration***8212;this is the most common cause of a high hematocrit. As the volume of fluid in the blood drops, the RBCs per volume of fluid artificially rises; with adequate fluid intake, the hematocrit returns to normal.

Hematocrit: The Test

Everything points to hydration being a temporary "fix" for hematocrit levels. When one considers how much AAS use can increase hematocrit levels and the fact that many cycles will go into the 12-14+ wk length, how can hydration be a true solution to high Hct levels? If you're on an EQ cycle for 14+wks, would hydration be enough to balance out the raise in Hct levels? My Hct went up a little over 2% from baseline in 4-5wks on a basic test E cycle WITH a blood donation to the Red Cross in between the two test dates. Now my baseline HCt levels were right in the middle of the reference range with adequate hydration. Imagine someone starting a cycle closer to the upper limit who hasn't yet donated blood and how high their HCt levels could possibly climb. Would hydration alone be enough to effectively lower levels? I wouldn't think so if even with a blood donation my Hct levels climbed 2+% in about 3wks while on cycle and drinking plenty of fluids. That's not to say hydration isn't important, it obviously is for many more reasons than just hematocrit, but I just don't see it as an effective solution to bringing down Hct levels for someone near the "danger zone".

^ Thanks for that, Dre. Everyone is arguing that hydration and dehydration is related to hCT. Well, that's no secret, I think we learned about hydration in grade school. But to think that water will bring my hCT down from 56 to 49 or whatever, is just shocking.

Let me guess, she said you're dehydrated? If so, what does that prove? Keep in mind our discussion is in reference to lowering hCT to reasonable levels.

She said don't worry about it and take an aspirin, keep well hydrated and wait 4-6 weeks next time after donating blood because Hematocrit will bounce around a bit and take a while to adjust to the donation.

Anyway, like I've stated previously if a guy is dehydrated he will have a false reading so drink your fluids before getting tested.

lol. Aspirin won't do anything for you but thin your blood a bit.

If anyone wants to show me how water can bring my hematocrit level down from 55%+ to under 50 without removing my blood, AND without death occuring please show me the magic trick and the science behind it. If possible, please don't hop around the actual topic here.

This debate is ridiculous ad continuously missing the point.

What abnormal results mean

Lower-than-normal hemoglobin may be due to:

Anemia (various types)
Bleeding
Destruction of red blood cells
Leukemia
Malnutrition
Nutritional deficiencies of iron, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6
Overhydration
Higher-than-normal hemoglobin may be due to:

Congenital heart disease
Cor pulmonale
Dehydration
Erythrocytosis
Low blood oxygen levels (hypoxia)
Pulmonary fibrosis
Polycythemia vera

Hemoglobin - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health

What abnormal results mean

Lower-than-normal hemoglobin may be due to:

Anemia (various types)
Bleeding
Destruction of red blood cells
Leukemia
Malnutrition
Nutritional deficiencies of iron, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6
Overhydration
Higher-than-normal hemoglobin may be due to:

Congenital heart disease
Cor pulmonale
Dehydration
Erythrocytosis
Low blood oxygen levels (hypoxia)
Pulmonary fibrosis
Polycythemia vera

Hemoglobin - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health
Fantastic. Now can you show me how to bring 55% to 49 with water? Stop bouncing around the topic please, we're not getting anywhere.

She said don't worry about it and take an aspirin, keep well hydrated and wait 4-6 weeks next time after donating blood because Hematocrit will bounce around a bit and take a while to adjust to the donation.

Anyway, like I've stated previously if a guy is dehydrated he will have a false reading so drink your fluids before getting tested.

Of course dehydration can give a false reading and so can over hydration, but what does it do for someone who is in the danger zone or near the upper limit and needs a way to drop Hct to acceptable levels? Would you recommend drinking more water, taking an aspirin, and letting that bring someone down from dangerously high levels? Of would you recommend blood donations and/or therapeutic draws?

You're saying hydration state does not affect hematocrit reading? Please explain.

No it does nothing. your idea is to dilute the blood?

Of course dehydration can give a false reading and so can over hydration, but what does it do for someone who is in the danger zone or near the upper limit and needs a way to drop Hct to acceptable levels? Would you recommend drinking more water, taking an aspirin, and letting that bring someone down from dangerously high levels? Of would you recommend blood donations and/or therapeutic draws?

My response was to the member stating hydration does nothing brother.

I'm sure we are all on the same page I just don't want guys getting a draw and freaking out because they have a reading of 52% when they may need to just adjust fluid intake. Saying hydration does nothing is a bit inaccurate.

Anyway, good night to you all.

Back