Bodybuilders psychology. Question for you guys.

I dont know what your doing but somebody holding the door while trying to flex lol, looks kinda stupid to me
Can I give u a haircut beach boy.

Okay Mr. Constipated face, that was not directed at you in any way. Seems like you have some insecurity problems going on... Im sure not everyone is out to get you at first, you bring it on yourself like you just did here. While im at it, when you do a back double bicep spread your shoulder blades a little. The only visible definition in your profile pic just looks like your skin folding, not muscle, because your shoulder blades are squeezed together. If you don't have any definition with your back opened up a little more I have some bad news for you...

Lmao. I love it. The need to feel included trumps the constant pointing out of one's flaws.

T bone, it's the same for me at work. I am even injured and I still get asked to move and lift everything, and with one arm at that. Guess if I'm stronger than everyone only using one arm then I'm doing something right.

im gonna take a dive here and try to this thread back on track lol. I have the same issue to some extent. I always feel that i am smaller than people who I am bigger than. I started out small. 160 lbs soaking wet. I am 220lbs now which is big for my small frame and no matter how big i get i always feel like i am still the 160 lb me. I have trouble guaging how big I am compared to people around me. It helps though to look at pictures and/or videos of yourself around other people. It helps when you are able to see yourself from a third person view and compare it to those around you. I know I am getting bigger but I don't see it the way my peers do. Its just motivation to keep going. its that never satisfied attitude that makes monsters. Once your satisfied, you lose the game imo.

Exactly^^

I started out at 130 and I'm 6'2". That's small, and I still feel small. Stay hungry, cuz those are the ones that succeed.

I personally think you lack confidence and you tend to worry to much about what other people think.. Me and my training partner (my best friend) get a lot of crap at our gym.. Yes we are on test but a low dose, just enough to have athletic builds..(that's what we shoot for) this is some of the shit that people say not directly but indirectly for example= they are on high doses of steroids, they walk around thinkin they are the shit, they think they are hulk smash style, they are just tools and sex slaves.. When in all reality we don't think we are big guys, we love to work out (WE LOVE TO WORK OUT)intensely.. That means we put our head phones on and mind our own.. I do notice that they take our comfort at the gym as thinking we think we are the shit, (they walk around like they own the place) when in fact if you have been a member of a gym for over 10 plus years it becomes a second home for that 1 and a half hour.. My point is don't care to much about what people think, you should know where you stand.. And if someone give you a complement just say thanks don't put to much on it.. And I have noticed that some people have seen mass monsters and some have not.. That might be the reasoning to why you seem bigger to some and smaller to others..

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts but I love how a teenager can post on here and start a shit fight amongst the boys! I love you guys!

To the OP, it's called body dysmorphia and we all have it. It is essentially a majorly warped perception of one's self.

People make comments about my size at work every week, normally my response is something modest. Compared to your average guy I'm big, but who the fuck wants to be average. I agree with most of what LetsGoHeavyBro said, maybe because I see guys like Phil Heath or Rhoden pretty regularly on the internet it makes me think I'm small. I don't spend time thinking about it though, I like to think about all the gainz I'm making. Think positive

Interesting thread, i dealt with these kind of thoughts for many years when I first started lifting. I was 6'3 145 10 years ago. In the first 5 years of lifting I gained 50 pounds and every time Id look in the mirror all Id see was the 145lb guy. Everyone around me would comment on the size i had gained and whatnot but i was fuckin delusional, lol. Today I weight in at 230 and now when I look in the mirror there is no trace of the 145lb guy. Im not sure what it really is, might be something that goes away with maturity, who knows. Might be something to do with the pressure for younger kids to look a certain way, or for some reason they feel they have to to obtain certain things. Ive heard the term bigorexia thrown around, like anorexia but the opposite obviously, either way though its all mental and not the actual way it is.

I got a another twirly dysmorphia or what you wanna call it..... I am merely 78kg, 181cm.... and worked out regularly for the last 6months now.... Amongst some of the people at the gym, I am definitively the smallest. BUT sometimes I see these 85-90kg ripped guys pushing weights and grunting like hell.... and I realise that I actually lift more THAN THEM!!! At least in some excersies (tricep pushdowns, leg pulls, cable cross).
Makes me think that either they are doing something wrong, or I am totally wrong about my own progress.

And no we are not talking about them being tired because having done 5sets already and so... I observe their workout rigourously.

Interesting thread, i dealt with these kind of thoughts for many years when I first started lifting. I was 6'3 145 10 years ago. In the first 5 years of lifting I gained 50 pounds and every time Id look in the mirror all Id see was the 145lb guy. Everyone around me would comment on the size i had gained and whatnot but i was fuckin delusional, lol. Today I weight in at 230 and now when I look in the mirror there is no trace of the 145lb guy. Im not sure what it really is, might be something that goes away with maturity, who knows. Might be something to do with the pressure for younger kids to look a certain way, or for some reason they feel they have to to obtain certain things. Ive heard the term bigorexia thrown around, like anorexia but the opposite obviously, either way though its all mental and not the actual way it is.
I still have it most days, especially if I don't wear a tight shirt, gay right? I wear tight shirts to make me feel bigger, I can't wear loose clothing or I'll feel even smaller

Almost exact same story and stats here...I started to lift at 31yo, I was 144lbs then (I'm 6.2 too):

View attachment 556891

And reached 205lbs almost 3 years later:

View attachment 556892

I was still seeing the walking skeleton in the mirror, it took me some times to get over it and have an accurate idea of my "actual" size...Everybody, friends, family, GFs, were telling me than I was getting too big but I still had the feeling to be a twig.

The funny thing is that I expected to be done with this dismorphia syndrom, but it's back with a vengeance...I had to completely stop lifting for more than 3 years and obvioulsy shrinked down again, although not as skinny as before, but still down to 175lbs.
I'm back to the gym for the past 8 months, the last 6 of them really full-on, and thank to muscle memory I'm actually back to 205 (but with a higher BF), natty except for GH at anti-aging doses. I got the "I'm a twig" syndrom again, I feel like a midget although my colleagues who haven't seen me for months recently asked me if I was on gear.

To control it I take a pic of myself under the exact same light, same unflexed pose, every month. It helps to see the progress.
That's also why I tend to train for strenght (although I'm by no mean strong), numbers don't lie, 4 plates are 4 plates whatever the mindest or the time of the day. I always carry a notebook at the gym where I religiously write down my workouts, weight, reps, etc...Tracking tools like pics and notes are of a great help.

What's your stats now? When I started lifting to "fit in" I am 6'2" just like you and weighed 160, it took me 22 months to feel normalView attachment 556888

I'm about 220,10%bf. It took me two years to go from 130 to 208, and that was completely natural. I injured my back twice since then and my shoulder recently(still in physical therapy). Thus is why I haven't gotten much bigger, but I'm getting there.

If I drop under 205 I freak out a bit, but it's been awhile since I've been that small. I always see my flaws in the mirror. Where I need to fix my proportions and what should be larger. It keeps me going.

Back