Brew question on oils.

MS1605

ChiCompton
I have a question mainly out of curiosity. I have looked through a LOT of brew tutorials the past few months. Almost all of them have one same step when brewing any kind of test. They seem to all call for measuring out your liquids then taking a certain percent of it and putting it off to the side. then taking the remanding mixture, brewing as normal then at the end before filtering mixing your new brew with the oils you set aside earlier. What is the point of not brewing your powder with all of the liquid?

The only thing I can come up with is maybe something with vaporizing but that's a complete guess.

It's to purge out the powder that gets stuck in the filter when running it through. You filter all of your product/brew, then run the excess oil through the filter afterward (not BEFORE filtering)

Last edited:
It's to purge out the powder that gets stuck in the filter when running it through. You filter all of your product/brew, then run the excess oil through the filter afterward (not BEFORE filtering)

That doesn't make sense. You filter after you completely dissolve your powder in the liquid. Therefor if you have powder getting stuck in the filter, you didn't do the previous steps right. There should be no powder by the time you get to the filtering stage...? Correct?

Last edited:
This is an extra (final) step used to avoid losing some of the product.

After you are completely finished filtering all of your product, you then use the oil that was set aside to purge the filter and needle.

If you don't purge, the liquid left inside the filter and needle is product. It will obviously be wasted when you discard this filter. If you purge with the oil that you set aside, the liquid left inside the filter and needle will be oil.

Does that make sense?

This is an extra (final) step used to avoid losing some of the product.

After you are completely finished filtering all of your product, you then use the oil that was set aside to purge the filter and needle.

If you don't purge, the liquid left inside the filter and needle is product. It will obviously be wasted when you discard this filter. If you purge with the oil that you set aside, the liquid left inside the filter and needle will be oil.

Does that make sense?

yes that makes sence but the best way to do it is just use air to purge ,just draw air into what ever size syrine your useing and push it thu the filter ,this will push any oil thats left in the filter out ,hope that helped.

Last edited:
yes that makes sence but the best way to do it is just use air to purge ,just draw air into what ever size syrine your useing and push it thu the filter ,this will push any oil thats left in the filter out ,hope that helped.

i just use air.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Makes much more sense now. I like understanding the steps Im taking instead of just doing things half hazardly :yesway:

Back