Brown Rice Vs. White Rice

ProteiNeed

Is it true that brown rice consists of mainly complex carbs, and white rice consists of simple carbs? What are the advantages of eating one over the other?

Complex carbs burn slower, throughout the day as simple carbs are processed quickly and either used or stored.

White rice is processed and stripped of what nutritional value it had prior too.......brown rice better, eat it.

Basmati rice isn't too bad and it's a white rice.

brown rice has more fiber, and a little more nutrional value due to the hull being left on. it also tastes better IMO.

it has no significant advantage over white rice.

brown rice has more fiber, and a little more nutrional value due to the hull being left on. it also tastes better IMO.

it has no significant advantage over white rice.

agreed. eat whatever you think tastes better.

its one of those things where people like to make it like they are eating so healthy because they choose brown rice as if the difference between the two really matters. its too small to matter.

its one of those things where people like to make it like they are eating so healthy because they choose brown rice as if the difference between the two really matters. its too small to matter.

to a point but the whole concept is that if you make 4-5 choices throughout the day that are "slightly" better, it adds up. Now add all that up over the course of a month and your that much closer to your goal. Just my thoughts.

Brown rice has more protein...when u add it up its quite a significant amount.... Thats simply a solid fact, and the biggest reason I choose brown rice.

If you eat 10 cups of rice a day, youll get a whopping 12 more grams of protein from the brown rice. Significant maybe in a third world country where every gram of a macro counts, not so much in developed countries.

Brown rice has more protein...when u add it up its quite a significant amount.... Thats simply a solid fact, and the biggest reason I choose brown rice.

i'm sure when i cover my white rice in soy sauce...it's about the same protein intake as the brown rice.

I would choose whatever i like better because life's about more than nutrition.

true dat! white rice isn't going to kill you. if you like it more, eat it. if you are competing, then you can choke down the brown for 16 weeks.

The Rice Rats Test...

Background: The present study was designed to investigate the influence of natural brown and black rice consumption on serum lipid parameters and hepatic enzyme activities in rats fed different combinations of grains. Methods: 50 male rats were divided into 4 groups and raised for 8 weeks on diets containing white rice (WH), white rice and brown rice (WHBR), white rice and black rice (WHBL), brown rice and black rice (BRBL). Blood samples were collected for lipid measurements, and the oxidant and antioxidant status of liver was evaluated. Results: Plasma triglyceride, total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in rats fed the WH diet were higher than in other groups. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol was significantly higher in rats fed diets including black rice such as WHBL and BRBL compared with WH and WHBR. The level of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in liver is shown to be higher in rats in the order of those fed WH, WHBR, WHBL and BRBL. While superoxide dismutase and chloramphenicol acetyltransferase did not differ among the 4 groups, glutathione and glutathione peroxidase in WH were significantly lower than in other groups. Conclusion: This study demonstrates that brown and black rice have cardioprotective effects.

Copyright © 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel

So the moral of the story is, who gives a rats ass...

Last edited:
I went to China Town in Paris to buy the freshest harvest of brown rice and white rice (not pre Cooked as in supermarkets)

Brown rice taste awesome and it has more nutrient, also i can germinate it for GABA.
My rice cooker (cuckoo) has the option Gaba.
Brown rice has Medium GI

White rice is awesome! but less nutrious and has higher GI, if you use broken rice GI will be higher than Long grain.
Jasmine Rice has Very High GI!

Back