Can I put whey protein in my coffee?

ROAD DOG

I workout first thing in the morning(5:30am),for me,drinking a large black coffee is a must to get woke up and have a good workout.I was thinking about throwing a couple scoops of vanilla flovored whey in my coffee wich would be like a healthy way of adding creamer to your coffee.My concern is that the hot coffee might mess up the whey,do you guy's know if hot temperatures affect the properties of whey?

If it's hot enough, it could denature the protein. But, it take 80c to really do much damage and it would have to stay at that temp for a little while. Coffee is cooler than 80c usually and cools off quickly

It just sounds like it might not taste too good, I only have chocolate mint and I am not sure if that will taste good in coffee.

I mix my prteon with my coffe all the time. It tastes great. I add a little skim milk to cool it down slightly then I add either chocholate or vanilla protein giving it an awsome taste.

MotownMuscle said:
Dam bro I think that would taste like shit. I also think the heat would be bad for the protein.
I don't know,I think vanilla would taste similar to adding creamer to your coffee.I might call the manufacturer(PRO LAB) tomorrow and see what they say.I will let you know tomorrow what they say,as far as if it's bad for the protein,and also I will let you know how it tastes.

I called PRO LAB today,and the guy on the phone said he does not recomend mixing it with anything hot,because it could damage the properties of the protein.So I guess I will have to keep drinking it with cold water.:(

My whey shake takes less than 10 seconds to finish, and too often it clumps up if you try to put very much at ALL into hot coffee temp water.

Instead of taking 2 scoops of chocolate protein. I buy 2 flavors and I mix 1 vanilla and 1 chocolate with crushed ice and milk. Taste great!

Not very many people can handle putting anything 80 degrees C or higher in their mouth. I don't hesitate to put an ice cube in very hot coffee when I'm in a hurry. Just do that, or as Pipes suggested, add a small amount of cold milk.

I don't see how any reasonable amount of heat could hurt it.

Even if it's enought to "break down" the protein, what does this mean? It means it's doing some of the work that would otherwise be done by your liver.

Unless it's getting burnt up, you're ok. Supplement company employees, sometimes even the companies themselves, aren't the most scientifically well-versed folk.

Who sells that shit which is "designed for cooking" anyways?

I remember one brand I bought had some pancake recipe recommendations on the side :)

Insane_Man said:
I don't see how any reasonable amount of heat could hurt it.

Even if it's enought to "break down" the protein, what does this mean? It means it's doing some of the work that would otherwise be done by your liver.

Unless it's getting burnt up, you're ok. Supplement company employees, sometimes even the companies themselves, aren't the most scientifically well-versed folk.

Who sells that shit which is "designed for cooking" anyways?

I remember one brand I bought had some pancake recipe recommendations on the side :)
That's what I was thinking,I have seen recipe's where people bake with it.It seems weird you can bake with it at over 400 degrees,but you can't put it in your coffee.:confused:

I put about 35g of protein in my coffee, well used to, whatever it amounts to about 1 scoop protein of whatever you use, add a few scoops of ice (just enough to cool a little), drop it in the drink mixer, and down it. I used to do this about 3x a week when I would workout AM, but now do cardio AM, and workout PM, so don't do this too often.

Just remember not to use alot of powder, otherwise it becomes too thick.

Also, when you all talk bout thickness, I used to have a roommate mix protein powder with his Slimfast morning drinks he drank for vitamens before working out, and you talk about drinking maple syrup, ha.

I tried Mass Quantities protein in hot chocolate and coffee. The protein clumped as a layer above the liquid. I tried drinking it and it was gross. I wound up dumping both coffee and hot chocolate. I now only use protein powder in cold liquids.

franmidi said:
I tried Mass Quantities protein in hot chocolate and coffee. The protein clumped as a layer above the liquid. I tried drinking it and it was gross. I wound up dumping both coffee and hot chocolate. I now only use protein powder in cold liquids.

Use a blender.

protein in your coffee solution

Check out Rippedcream.com. You can add protein to your coffee and it tastes great!! Dissolves instantly. First All natural, Whole foods compliant, Vitamin D-3, 11 amino acids, complete protein. Chizzeled Chocolate, Cut Caramel and Lean Vanilla bean.

Back