Critique my training program & diet...

mXs

Hey just signed up the forum, looking for some good advice & tips so straight to the point:

- 19yrs old
- 5ft 11"
- 190lbs
- 15-17% BF
- 15.5" Biceps

(pics at bottom)

After taking advice from various sources etc I've come up with a training program which I'm going to be doing for 12 weeks (almost 2 weeks in already)

The Workout
Monday – Chest & Triceps
Bench Press/Dumbell Press 5 x 6-10
Incline Press 5 x 6-10
Flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline Flyes 5 x 6-10

Pushdowns w/ cable 5 x 8-12
Reversed grip pushdowns w/ cable 5 x 8-12
Dips 5 x 10-15
Skullcrushers 5 x 8-12

Tuesday – Shoulders & Legs & Abs
Seated Military press behind neck 5 x 6-10
Seated Military Dumbell press 5 x 6-10
Upright rows 4 x 10-12
Dumbell Shrugs 3 x 10-15

Squats 3 x 20
Front Squats 3 x 20-25
Standing leg curls 3 x 10-15
Seated calf machine 5 x 15

Thursday – Chest #2
Bench Press/Dumbell Press 5 x 6-10
Incline Press 5 x 6-10
Flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline Flyes 5 x 6-10

Friday – Back & Biceps
Deadlifts 4 x 6-10
Barbell Rows 4 x 8
Pulley Rows 4 x 8
Chins 3 x 8-10
Hyperextensions 3 x 15

Barbell curls 4 x 8-12
Dumbell curls 4 x 8-12
Concentration curls 4 x 8-12
Preacher reversed grip EZ curls 4 x 8-12

I play football saturday & sunday roughly 90 minutes cardio over the weekend, although it is stop start.

------

As you can see I try & do chest twice a week as my chest at the moment isnt as big as I'd like, so I'm giving it 48 hours rest before re-training. (some people have said dont some people say its fine.. opinions?)

My Diet & Supplements

Wake up - Whey Protein Shake & Creatine & Omega-3 capsule.
Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs (4eggs 1 yolk)

--train--
postworkout - Whey Protein shake & Creatine

Lunch - High Protein meat, sweetcorn, other vegetables

Tea - High Protein meat, vegetables & small amount of complex carbs, boiled potatoes, coush-coush(sp?), brown rice etc

Before bed - Whey Protein Shake only.

-------
What im training for
My goal is to increase as much lean muscle mass in the next 12 weeks as possible whilst dropping maybe 3-5% BF.

From your experience looking at my training & diet what am I heading for? is it all wrong or am I on the right track.. any suggestions or help would be great, so far I can feel gains although small noticable, strength increase and really looking forward to the end of the 12 weeks.

Looking forward for feedback thanks.

(just took some photos)
Jan04.jpg

Jan05.jpg

My goal is (dude on left)
438347025fUetzN_ph.jpg

Just a random photo but that shape I'd die for or something close to it by summer.

Last edited:
good thing you didnt say the dewd on the left LOL..not laughing at you theres was a joke in the convo forum about pics f that very guy on the left...

anyway...i dont really like that routine its got way too much volume for the average person..if you still want to try it go ahead and give it a solid 8 weeks but if you dont really see nay results i would get on another routine...

we have a ton fo stickies at the top oif this forum giving examples of routines that you can use or tweak to suit your needs..

the routine you have:
too much chest work
never do anything behind the neck
delts the day after pressing not a good idea
to much volume for bis

a good routine will be built around the Squat/Bench/Dead
throw in some bodybuilding work for biceps, tris shoulders and back and youve got a complete routine

pull your pants up too dude, maybe up to your arm pits. that way you only have to do arms, delts and calves

just kidding, what bb said worked for me. good luck

B.Reel said:
pull your pants up too dude, maybe up to your arm pits. that way you only have to do arms, delts and calves

just kidding, what bb said worked for me. good luck

haha,

After week 4 (2 weeks I'm going to give the double chest a rest as suggested I just want to see what results I get from it)

I'm about to start a ECA stack this week and cycle that 2 weeks on 2 weeks off till the end of the cycle too, what results should I expect from this? I'm hoping to keep if not gain a little lean muscle mass whilst cut up a little from doing this.

or am i wrong...

having tried, failed, tried, failed and then finally suceeded to nail down my training i have seen some fantastic results, especially on my chest which was the weakest of my body parts.

i really think you have too many sets in your chest workout and i really dont think you will see any real improvement the way you have it set out for yourself.

everyone is different but 20 sets really is too much, for your chest i'd say cut the number of sets down to maybe 12 sets max (3 each) and go heavy 8-6-4. id also say train it once a week or youll end up overtraining it.

i'd also say to train shoulders on a different day than legs cause if ur training your legs properly you wont have the energy there to hit your shoulders properly.

chest/tris
legs
rest
shoulders
back/bi's
rest
rest

check some of the training sticky's and see what best suits you. this has worked wonders for me. im sure some will love it and some hate it but you'll only know by experimenting until you find whats right for you.

hope this helps, good luck!

way too many sets, you're all over the place. and the diet is bad, you should be eating aleast twice as much, otherwise you will not grow not matter how good your training routine is.

eat big, lift big, rest big

you have as many shakes as you do meals, that is awful IMO.

i pretty much ate that shitty in highschool and lifted like that (way too much) and didnt grow a bit, just got a little ripped. force food down, force so much down that you have to lay down or you will throw up. you have to get used to that and eventually it will be a normal thing to eat so much. gaining muscle natural is hard and you have to be discplined. you prolly are eating just enough calories to maintain yourself, start counting them.

Tafman said:
way too many sets, you're all over the place. and the diet is bad, you should be eating aleast twice as much, otherwise you will not grow not matter how good your training routine is.

eat big, lift big, rest big

you have as many shakes as you do meals, that is awful IMO.

i pretty much ate that shitty in highschool and lifted like that (way too much) and didnt grow a bit, just got a little ripped. force food down, force so much down that you have to lay down or you will throw up. you have to get used to that and eventually it will be a normal thing to eat so much. gaining muscle natural is hard and you have to be discplined. you prolly are eating just enough calories to maintain yourself, start counting them.

Thanks for the advice, I've changed my workout accordingly, shoulders are now on the thursday & the chest has been dropped & changed to the 8-6-4 rep as suggested, as for the next 2-3 weeks I want to cut as much BF% as possible as I've still got the fat around my waist and I want my ab's to show. after that I'm going to change my diet; increase the calories & then go for some lean mass with putting as little BF on as possible. I'd prefer to get cut up as much as possible right now then begin a bulk to early as I've just lost alot of weight (16.5stone to 13.5stone) in around 8 months and dont feel like going back that route so quickly.

As far as Ab workouts go do I treat AB's the same as any other muscle with a 48-72 hour rest peroid? or can I work these on the same day as Legs (tuesday) and then again on shoulders (thursday)?

Started ECA stack yesterday, I'll post the changes in a couple weeks, defiantly suppressing appetite I could probably go a whole day on 1 protein shake & 1 meal but I'm force feeding the diet I put above.

Back