deadlift grip, why over and under

yomama

Junior Bodybuilder
Why grab with one hand over and one under. Why not grab the bar the same. I just want to know why. Is it better grip? And wont that work one side of the back more than the other? I know it's a stupid question but I've never done deads.

the bar will roll out of your hands if you grip both hands the same . it cant roll in both directions which is what it would have to do with the over/under grip . you can definately hol more weight with the over/under , just load up some heavy weight at about knee level in the squat rack and do some lock outs with your hands both ways and you will see what im talking about .

Agreed. Most people find it impossible to pull a good weight with a double over grip.

I have always used a mix grip and I always will.

When I first started deadlifting, I had this same question. As the weights got heavier, I realized why that grip was necessary pretty fast.

a lot of people pull double overhand. all olympic lifters do and they are pulling some serious weight at a lot faster pace than PLer or average joe lifters. its called a hook grip an it is very effective. only problem is that it is very painful to the thumb until the nerve endings are killed it that area. after that no more pain. I pull double over hand up to about 405 or so then i switch to over under.

here's a pic of me pullin deads. 650 for reps also note the over under grip. 6' 295 at time of pic . its about a year old. im 305 now and a litle leaner.
cc020.jpg

pullinbig said:
a lot of people pull double overhand. all olympic lifters do and they are pulling some serious weight at a lot faster pace than PLer or average joe lifters. its called a hook grip an it is very effective. only problem is that it is very painful to the thumb until the nerve endings are killed it that area. after that no more pain. I pull double over hand up to about 405 or so then i switch to over under.

here's a pic of me pullin deads. 650 for reps also note the over under grip. 6' 295 at time of pic . its about a year old. im 305 now and a litle leaner.
cc020.jpg

That's a big lift man.

the guy standing beside me has a 665 bench to his credit at a BW of 211 done under strict judging at a meet. he is training for the arnold now and wants ot break halberts all time world record in the 198s of 683. he just missed 685 saturday at a meet by about 2 inches at lock out. BW at meet was 193.5.

I like to do double overhand whne I can, but when I'm working around my max for 3 sets, 3X a week, it's pretty tough, especially at 15 reps. Not so bad at 5 reps.

I just did my first deadlifts sets lol Now I know what I've been missing out on lol My lower back is killing me and so is my traps.

Way to go bro.

When I do a reverse grip, I like to switch it up half way because holding overhand works the back differently.

pullinbig said:

You carry your weight very well for only being 6' tall. Bodyfat appears to be quite low, which is very impressive at that size. Impressive!

Insane_Man said:
I like to do double overhand whne I can, but when I'm working around my max for 3 sets, 3X a week, it's pretty tough, especially at 15 reps. Not so bad at 5 reps.

you pull deads 3 times per week?

pullinbig said:
you pull deads 3 times per week?

Some weeks. Some times I'll do squats instead.

No more than 3 sets, 2 sets at higher reps.

DADAWG said:
the bar will roll out of your hands if you grip both hands the same . it cant roll in both directions which is what it would have to do with the over/under grip . you can definately hol more weight with the over/under , just load up some heavy weight at about knee level in the squat rack and do some lock outs with your hands both ways and you will see what im talking about .

I agree:)

DADAWG said:
just load up some heavy weight at about knee level in the squat rack and do some lock outs with your hands both ways and you will see what im talking about

Sorry to go kind of OT with this, but o you guys feel lockouts are necessary for bodybuilders?

I usually do them on my first set then layoff because they just really put extra starin on the lower back.

Opinions?

Insane_Man said:
Sorry to go kind of OT with this, but o you guys feel lockouts are necessary for bodybuilders?

I usually do them on my first set then layoff because they just really put extra starin on the lower back.

Opinions?

My friend swears by them for trap development. He's about 5'9, 255 lbs and lean.

Back