Different Biceps Training idea

PowerBuilder

I believe that biceps can be worked much more frequently than once a week.
It is well known that different muscles can recover at different speeds and respond to differnet types of training. I've been having problems with my biceps and am starting this routine:

I bought some 45 lb dumbells and some elastic bands so I can do a little working out at home. Im going to try doing 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps every other day. I believe that defferent muscles recover at different speeds, for example, calves and abs can be done every day. I think that biceps might respond best to every other day workouts. Im thinking about doing dumbell curls like this every other day in addition to my 2 major once a week workouts:

Chest/Shoulders/Tris

Legs/Lowerback/Lats (lats could be on a bicep day, unless I do only pullovers)

I'd just like to experiment a little with something different. Maybe I can build up some decent size bis while I work on my strength for my major lifts.

you do your back after legs, that is almost impossible to do effectively. Your bis will get alot of their growth from heavy rowing and back movements. Doing curls eod will not do much if you don't put weight on.

PowerBuilder said:
I believe that defferent muscles recover at different speeds, for example, calves and abs can be done every day. I think that biceps might respond best to every other day workouts.

i dont think calves and abs should be done everyday . every muscle needs its rest and recovery time

I disagree with that. Your abs and your core are responsable for probably about 70% of your movment in a day, and your abs have about 3 or 4 different parts you can use. For example: upper abs, lower abs, obliques, etc.

Your calves are used constantly, tip toeing, walking, running, goin up steps, going down steps, etc. etc.

I personally feel that training these on lift days consistently (everyday) should be no problem as long as you eat correctly and get a good night's sleep

GatorFB21 said:
I disagree with that. Your abs and your core are responsable for probably about 70% of your movment in a day, and your abs have about 3 or 4 different parts you can use. For example: upper abs, lower abs, obliques, etc.

Your calves are used constantly, tip toeing, walking, running, goin up steps, going down steps, etc. etc.

I personally feel that training these on lift days consistently (everyday) should be no problem as long as you eat correctly and get a good night's sleep

With that reasoning i should be squatting everyday since i am on my feet everyday.

I guess I see where you could say that. However, comparing squatting to ab exercises is like oranges and apples. You don't see people doing max effort lifts for abs as they do squats. They do abs to get a nice 6 pack, and some serious definition. They may use a 45 plate or a crunch machine with weight to do about 12-15 reps. You usually don't see people doing abs for about 2-8 reps. If you were to squat everyday the way people USUALLY(I can't speak for everyone here) do abs, which would not be a near max effort lift, would actually be ok.

Also what I was trying to get at, was that it would be ok to train one part of your abs one day(such as raised knee curls for the upper part) and balboas (for your lower abs) the next day.

i dont see the point at all of doing bis EOD...
like JCP said your bi's will grow WHEN you add Muscle to your frame..
and remeber you are missing out on 2/3 of the arm-its called the Tricep

I understnad your quest for big biceps and i really dont know why people assume more is better..its like saying i want the biggest brachialis ever and im gonna work them ED-i guarantee that you may see some results in 3 weeks..after that you will be spinning your wheels..but everyone needs to figure things out for themselves and waste a little time in the process

blackbeard said:
i dont see the point at all of doing bis EOD...
like JCP said your bi's will grow WHEN you add Muscle to your frame..
and remeber you are missing out on 2/3 of the arm-its called the Tricep

I understnad your quest for big biceps and i really dont know why people assume more is better..its like saying i want the biggest brachialis ever and im gonna work them ED-i guarantee that you may see some results in 3 weeks..after that you will be spinning your wheels..but everyone needs to figure things out for themselves and waste a little time in the process

I think you are misunderstanding me. What I believe is that not all muscles are created equally. I also don't agree with the myth that smaller muscles need fewer sets. I believe that through evolution, nature has given us some muscles that recover faster because we use them more often. This is obviously true in other animals such as chickens. Chickens use their pecs(breast meat) for intense fast twitch movements because they fly their heavy body a short distance to escape predators. You can see that their breast muscle is fast twitch (white). Their legs that they use all day to walk around on are dark meat because they are slow twitch and therefore need to recover more quickly but are worked less intensely.

For a human example, our calves are a muscle we use almost all the time. Legs are a little more complicated. Although we flex and extend them slightly when we walk, we don't squat all the way up and down all day - which is why I think that legs can respond well to both very low rep and moderately high rep training.

I actually am quite happy with my triceps size - I am specifically looking to increase my bicep size, not my arm size in general. I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on recovery speed of different muscles because I don't believe that blasting a muscle group once a week necessarily works best for ALL muscles in our body. I read this in a book and I think that the results were from an actual study. Now I know that things can get complicated when you are doing compound movements so the simplest thing is often working all muscles at the same frequency. I’m just trying curls every other day as a little experiment. I'll let you guys know the results in a few months.

Personally man i wouldn't see why you coultn work bi's every other day. I never have the soreness in them as i would my chest if benched or the burn in my legs if i squatted.

My bi's are sore for 2-3 days after I do back with maybe 2-3 sets of direct Bi work. Compared to EOD bi training I pretty much neglect my biceps, yet they are right in line with my physique. Ive been rowing heavy (dorians grip - palms up), pulling heavy and squatting heavy for years. Your bi's have no choice but to grow with the rest of your body.

I agree that different muscle groups recover at different speeds, but I dont think youd be giving your biceps nearly enough time to repair the damage and then hypertrophy. I could be wrong though, just keep track of progression in weight used/reps.

I would agree that everyone's body reacts differently. You always hear the cliche "Your body is a science." Everyone has to figure out what works for them. However, you also have to take into consideration overtraining. Overtraining can actually have the opposite effect of what you want (gaining muscle). It all comes down to whatever you see the most results from, trial and error.

why try and rewrite a science that people who have kinese degrees have analyzed time and time again. do a google search, im sure youll be able to find the approx. time it takes EACH muscle to recover. I understand that each person has different genetics, but when it comes down to it muscle tissue is mucle tissue, and 2 plus 2 will always be 4.

muscle + workout - proper_recovery = waste_of_time

faze said:
why try and rewrite a science that people who have kinese degrees have analyzed time and time again. do a google search, im sure youll be able to find the approx. time it takes EACH muscle to recover. I understand that each person has different genetics, but when it comes down to it muscle tissue is mucle tissue, and 2 plus 2 will always be 4.

muscle + workout - proper_recovery = waste_of_time

I can't find and study like that. I searched every educational site for " kinese study site" and got 6 results.

DougoeFre5h said:
My bi's are sore for 2-3 days after I do back with maybe 2-3 sets of direct Bi work. Compared to EOD bi training I pretty much neglect my biceps, yet they are right in line with my physique. Ive been rowing heavy (dorians grip - palms up), pulling heavy and squatting heavy for years. Your bi's have no choice but to grow with the rest of your body.

I agree 100%. I don't do direct work for arms and they grow with the rest of my body.
As a small muscle, bis are difficult to make them grow if you're not gaining general mass.
I think that training EOD would turn into not growing at all for your bis(overtraining). After heavy back work, my bis remain sore for 2 days.
I understand everybody is diferent, but as a general rule, the majority of people needs more time for resting (and growing during that rest). Of course, some people have "elite" genes, but that's a few minority.

PowerBuilder said:
I think you are misunderstanding me. What I believe is that not all muscles are created equally. I also don't agree with the myth that smaller muscles need fewer sets. I believe that through evolution, nature has given us some muscles that recover faster because we use them more often. This is obviously true in other animals such as chickens. Chickens use their pecs(breast meat) for intense fast twitch movements because they fly their heavy body a short distance to escape predators. You can see that their breast muscle is fast twitch (white). Their legs that they use all day to walk around on are dark meat because they are slow twitch and therefore need to recover more quickly but are worked less intensely.

For a human example, our calves are a muscle we use almost all the time. Legs are a little more complicated. Although we flex and extend them slightly when we walk, we don't squat all the way up and down all day - which is why I think that legs can respond well to both very low rep and moderately high rep training.

I actually am quite happy with my triceps size - I am specifically looking to increase my bicep size, not my arm size in general. I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on recovery speed of different muscles because I don't believe that blasting a muscle group once a week necessarily works best for ALL muscles in our body. I read this in a book and I think that the results were from an actual study. Now I know that things can get complicated when you are doing compound movements so the simplest thing is often working all muscles at the same frequency. I’m just trying curls every other day as a little experiment. I'll let you guys know the results in a few months.

i know what you believe-im jsut realying mine as well as countless others gym experiences..youre just going to spin your wheels but youll have to find that out for yourself..your bi's will not grow unitl you start adding weight (muscle/some fat is always a biproduct of getting bigger) to your frame

believe it or not adding 50# to your deadlift will more for your biceps then doing curls EOD...

please document this take pics now as well as all measurements and BF if you can..and then when youre ready report back to us your results

PowerBuilder said:

i know what you believe-im jsut realying mine as well as countless others gym experiences..youre just going to spin your wheels but youll have to find that out for yourself..your bi's will not grow unitl you start adding weight (muscle/some fat is always a biproduct of getting bigger) to your frame..

MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER

believe it or not adding 50# to your deadlift will more for your biceps then doing curls EOD...

please document this take pics now as well as all measurements and BF if you can..and then when youre ready report back to us your results

I reckon go for it and see how it pans out for you.

i agree that some muscles recover quicker than others, but I believe that stressing these muscles Ed or EOD may have a negative effect on your overall growth due to overtraining, and not letting your whole body recover.

the reason I feel calves abs and probably low back can be trained more frequently is because they are primarily made up of slow twitch, type 1 postural fibres.

i wouldn't hit my bis more than twice a week, and as previously mentioned, heavy back will more than likely give you the results you are after.

bu the only way to find out is to do it. keep us posted on your progress!

i'm going to side with powerbuilder on this one, based on my recent experiences.

i simply can NOT get my biceps sore. i used to think i just wasn't working them hard enough, but I can train them until total fatigue (ie can barely curl a 20lb dumbell) and the damn things are good to go usually in 24 hrs, but DEFINITELY in 48 hours. i plan on implementing an EOD and eventually ED plan for them when I am done cutting to see what happens.

SCG2 said:
i'm going to side with powerbuilder on this one, based on my recent experiences.

i simply can NOT get my biceps sore. i used to think i just wasn't working them hard enough, but I can train them until total fatigue (ie can barely curl a 20lb dumbell) and the damn things are good to go usually in 24 hrs, but DEFINITELY in 48 hours. i plan on implementing an EOD and eventually ED plan for them when I am done cutting to see what happens.

soreness doesn't mean shit. i could do a 100 reps of some bullshit lightweight squats, and I would be pumped as fuck after the workout and probably have some bad arse DOMS the next day.

but I would get much bet growth and strength from doing some heavy arse low rep shit

Back