do deadlifts thicken waist

manzanilla

training for power to increase mass (Re-title)

ive heard deadlifts can thicken your waist ive also heard squats can to but ive never believed it so ive continued doing them i figured that might happen to bb's tht juice but im natural so i figured im safe wht opinions are out there on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
heavy core movements IE squats and deads will thicken and widen youy abs. most big squatters have a belly but it is usually hard as a brick.

Squats will cause a much wider waist than deadlifts because of your center of gravity. With the weight balanced on your shoulders your center of gravity is moved way up requiring your midsection to perform alot more stabilization, therefore leading to a thicker waist. With Deadlifts on the other hand, the weight remains relatively low requiring much less stabilization from your core muscles.

They can thicken your waist but it is a small price to pay for what they do to your legs and back.

Heavy squats and deads are a MUST if you want to make gains, real gains in size and strength.

If you are natural they are even more important.

pipes said:
Squats will cause a much wider waist than deadlifts because of your center of gravity. With the weight balanced on your shoulders your center of gravity is moved way up requiring your midsection to perform alot more stabilization, therefore leading to a thicker waist. With Deadlifts on the other hand, the weight remains relatively low requiring much less stabilization from your core muscles.

you got it backwards. deads require more core strenght than squats. why? becuase you are bent over to start with and not upright. thats why.

Maybe this is all true to an extent...but look at Needsize. He squats and deadlifts huge numbers and I believe the contest width of his waist was 29 inches.

string_bean00 said:
Maybe this is all true to an extent...but look at Needsize. He squats and deadlifts huge numbers and I believe the contest width of his waist was 29 inches.

go to a PLing meet and look at the guys puttin up big niumbers and look at thier wastes. look at coleman's. I am squatting over 8, pullin 7 or so and benching high 5s and over the years my waste has continued to grow as has the rest of my body. just cause a guy has a small waste doesnt mean anything cept for thats his genetics. it would be smaller if he didnt squat or pull deads. I dont know needsize or what his training looks like. I am a personal trainer as well as a holder of many master's state, national and world records in PLing. do some research and dont base everything on one guy.

pullinbig said:
go to a PLing meet and look at the guys puttin up big niumbers and look at thier wastes. look at coleman's. I am squatting over 8, pullin 7 or so and benching high 5s and over the years my waste has continued to grow as has the rest of my body. just cause a guy has a small waste doesnt mean anything cept for thats his genetics. it would be smaller if he didnt squat or pull deads. I dont know needsize or what his training looks like. I am a personal trainer as well as a holder of many master's state, national and world records in PLing. do some research and dont base everything on one guy.

I wasn't basing anything on one guy.

Just throwing an example out there.

pullinbig said:
you got it backwards. deads require more core strenght than squats. why? becuase you are bent over to start with and not upright. thats why.
At the bottom of the squat, by no means are you upright. Your but kicks out backwards and your upper body leans forward. In both exercises the only thing from letting you fall forward are your erector spinaes. Looking at simple biomechanics of both exercises, you will realize that the resistance arm during squats is much greater than that of deadlifts. This equates to a larger amount of torque your body must resist in order to prevent any unwanted movement from front to back or side to side. Just take a look at the posistion in the bottom of your sqaut video. See any similarities to the position during a deadlift?

pipes said:
At the bottom of the squat, by no means are you upright. Your but kicks out backwards and your upper body leans forward. In both exercises the only thing from letting you fall forward are your erector spinaes. Looking at simple biomechanics of both exercises, you will realize that the resistance arm during squats is much greater than that of deadlifts. This equates to a larger amount of torque your body must resist in order to prevent any unwanted movement from front to back or side to side. Just take a look at the posistion in the bottom of your sqaut video. See any similarities to the position during a deadlift?

how much you squatting and pulling? do you squat and pull? the bottom of the squat is similar to the dead with one exception in the dead you are moving from a dead stop. in squats you get a bounce out of the hole. it takes much more back and ham strength to complete a dead of equal weight. i feel deads much more in my abs and low back than i do when squatting. but hey if you get more core work from squatting than you do pulling deads then have at it. deads envolve more muscle groups and make it a more compound movement as well. the two exercises are the kings of core development. we can agree on that.

With back squats, I invariably lean forward at the bottom. Can't seem to correct it. Front zercher squats let me go deep and stay upright.

I would like to know this too, as the zerchers have been ALL I do now.

I think there will be some thickening of the waist, but nothing that extreme. I've noticed over the years mine has gotten thicker, but it was still under 30" come contest time. Obviously the small waist is part of my genetics, but it hasnt gotten that much bigger, and I do hoist some big numbers for a bodybuilder

needsize said:
I think there will be some thickening of the waist, but nothing that extreme. I've noticed over the years mine has gotten thicker, but it was still under 30" come contest time. Obviously the small waist is part of my genetics, but it hasnt gotten that much bigger, and I do hoist some big numbers for a bodybuilder

coleman hoists some big numbers for a BBer. lolololol :D :D :D :D :D :D no way to avoid getting thicker in the middle as you increase poundages. that is the main area getting worked so it has to grow just as all other muscles grow under stress.

Texas Ranger said:
Could Front Squats be a good alternative to regular Squats without making your waist bigger???

Any opinions on using Front Squats as my main exercise for Legs along with Heavy DB Lunges? Do you think it will still thicken my waist?? Opinions please...

pullinbig said:
coleman hoists some big numbers for a BBer. lolololol :D :D :D :D :D :D no way to avoid getting thicker in the middle as you increase poundages. that is the main area getting worked so it has to grow just as all other muscles grow under stress.

I thick any thickness you add in the waist is proportional to the gain made in the target areas, so its not very noticeable at all. I am no where near coleman ('ve been juicing for just over 2 years, I know hes been at it a lot longer than that), but I've got vids of me deadlifting 500 x 10 raw, 550 x 5, 600 x 3, etc.... But the increase in my waist pales in comparision to the gains in back, quads, etc. For example, for the last 3" I've gained on my quads, I've added maybe 1/2" on my waist

Texas Ranger said:
Any opinions on using Front Squats as my main exercise for Legs along with Heavy DB Lunges? Do you think it will still thicken my waist?? Opinions please...

I dont think either will put enough size on your legs to make it worth while. Like I just said in my last post, the size increase in your waist will be proportional to what you gain everywhere else, dont stress it

Back