do deadlifts thicken waist

pullinbig said:
and do not wear a belt when doing core movements. not until you get where you are squatting over 6 for reps or pulling heavy as well. its like taking a shower with a rain coat on. defeats the purpose

I couldnt agree more, they will set you up for a hernia(this from a sugeon that I saw) and will just keep your core weak. I havent used one in over 5 years and my strength and muscular development is much better for it

needsize said:
I couldnt agree more, they will set you up for a hernia(this from a sugeon that I saw) and will just keep your core weak. I havent used one in over 5 years and my strength and muscular development is much better for it

There's a dude at my gym that goes around telling everyone to use a belt on everything, even on military presses and stuff.

I think he's insane.

string_bean00 said:
There's a dude at my gym that goes around telling everyone to use a belt on everything, even on military presses and stuff.

I think he's insane.
Get buddy in a real life lifting situation and watch him buckle at the midsection. I haven't used a belt for the past 2 years and my core strength has increased considerably.

pipes said:
Get buddy in a real life lifting situation and watch him buckle at the midsection. I haven't used a belt for the past 2 years and my core strength has increased considerably.

not just the strength increases, but at show time my serratus and intercostals were sick, and I;ve never done anything for them other than heavy squats and deads without a belt

pullinbig said:
this is kinda scarrey. BBers and PLers agreeing on some training tips. whats the world coming too?

very scary, but a lot of my background is powerlifting, so I've always believed in the basics

if those BBing mags would catch onto this concept there would be a lot more heavily muscled folks in the gym. some of those routines border criminal. good luck to you. saturday is heavy bench day for me. I'll post results tomorrow.

pullinbig said:
if those BBing mags would catch onto this concept there would be a lot more heavily muscled folks in the gym. some of those routines border criminal. good luck to you. saturday is heavy bench day for me. I'll post results tomorrow.

so true, my favourite bodybuilders where always the ones who started out in powerlifting, like Franco way back in the day

OK here it is. 1st day of a new bench training cycle so the weight is low and volume is a bit high. Warmed up, then.....

set 1 455 x 3
set 2 470 x 3
set 3 485 x 3
set 4 500 x 3
set 5 515, got two and needed help on the third.

next bench i will start at 470 and go until I fail at three reps with 15 lb jumps in weight from set to set. maximum of 5 sets. even if i had gotten the 5th set today i would have stopped. board work and rack presses on tuesday. i'll post results then. appr. 10 minute break between sets.

Last edited:
You have to remember that not every powerlifter/olympic lifter/world's strongest man who can move serious weight with Deads or Squats has huge obliques and/or a distended gut. In addition to the erectors, there are also other lumbar muscles to the sides of the erectors which get developed in these movements ultimately adding inches to the tape measurement. Then you have to factor in that there are different breathing techniques used. And more than a few powerlifters reportedly do hellacious amounts of heavy adjunctive ab and oblique work. So then even if basic Deads and Squats spur some growth in the belly and oblique areas, the breathing techniques and extra core work seems to me like what would shift those changes into high gear. I think it's in part genetic and in part different types of training/technique. Deads will remain my favorite exercise.

OK here it is. if you care, if not dont read it. guess i am just amusing my self. =0)

squats 585 for 1 set of 5, wraps and belt

box squats 405 for 2 sets of 5

leg press 1340 for 2 sets of 5

I normally would have done two sets on squats but was feeling a bit off tonight so i saved it to battle another day. =0(

Last edited:
pullinbig said:
OK here it is. if you care, if not dont read it. guess i am just amusing my self. =0)

squats 585 for 1 set of 5, wraps and belt

box squats 405 for 2 sets of 5

sled 1340 for 2 sets of 5

I normally would have done two sets on squats but was feeling a bit off tonight so i saved it to battle another day. =0(

damn, those are some big numbers, most i've ever squated for a set was 455lbs x 5 ass to the floor, no belts or wraps, but thats a far cry from 585

needsize said:
damn, those are some big numbers, most i've ever squated for a set was 455lbs x 5 ass to the floor, no belts or wraps, but thats a far cry from 585

my best set is 700 for 4. thats with a suit though. my best with wraps and a belt is 650 for 3 or 4 cant remember. usually 495 is my last warm up set totally raw. I always squat as deep as I can go. I havent squatted regularly the last few months due to circumstances beyond my control so I just getting started back. forgot how much loved them. lookin forward to getting back to where i was a few months ago.

pullinbig said:
my best set is 700 for 4. thats with a suit though. my best with wraps and a belt is 650 for 3 or 4 cant remember. usually 495 is my last warm up set totally raw. I always squat as deep as I can go. I havent squatted regularly the last few months due to circumstances beyond my control so I just getting started back. forgot how much loved them. lookin forward to getting back to where i was a few months ago.

nothing like training with a powerlifter to put your own training into perspective. My old partner, whos ranked 1 or 2 in canada now, used to put up some crazy numbers that would just leave me shaking my head. He squats 900 in comp now, at the time was doing close to 800....I remember watching him do box squats, 6 plates a side, 10 sets of 3 reps with only 60 seconds rest in between sets
That would always bring me back to earth when my head go too big

needsize said:
nothing like training with a powerlifter to put your own training into perspective. My old partner, whos ranked 1 or 2 in canada now, used to put up some crazy numbers that would just leave me shaking my head. He squats 900 in comp now, at the time was doing close to 800....I remember watching him do box squats, 6 plates a side, 10 sets of 3 reps with only 60 seconds rest in between sets
That would always bring me back to earth when my head go too big

ten sets of three would correlate to 2 or 3 vomint sessions outside.. lololol a good waste of peanust butter and jelly sandwhiches. :D :D

doin board work and rack presses today. I'll post results tonight. everybody have fun at the gym. it is a privelage that some cannot enjoy. dont take it for granted.

pullinbig said:
ten sets of three would correlate to 2 or 3 vomint sessions outside.. lololol a good waste of peanust butter and jelly sandwhiches. :D :D

it was crazy watching him, not only was that a whole lot of weight, but for a guy 5'7" and around 280lbs, only 60 seconds rest is nuts

needsize where about in canada are you ?? alberta?

im in mississauga toronto :D .. not oakland pullin' lol

what are rack pressses?

find a rack and press on it. lololololol

no not really, rack presses are done in the power rack. set a flat bench in the rack and set the support pins so that you are only moving the bar about 4-6 inches to lockout. Tremendous tricept work and aids in the lock out on flat bench. this is however a specific exercise aimed primarily at shirted benchers.

Back