do deadlifts thicken waist

needsize said:
I dont think either will put enough size on your legs to make it worth while. Like I just said in my last post, the size increase in your waist will be proportional to what you gain everywhere else, dont stress it

agreed. all grows when hitting deads. it is like a complete body workout. if i dont make it to the gym but once a week I will pull deads and do heavy back work. Iwill say that my back deffinatley gets wider than my midsection. but the core does grow as well. plus most guys in the 300+ range need more core stability just to walk around. whats your stats needsize when you are not dieting for as show? BTW 600 for three is respectable.

Last edited:
pullinbig said:
whats your stats needsize when you are not dieting for as show? BTW 600 for three is respectable.

stats right now are just under 5'9", 245lbs at 11% bodyfat, when I hit most of those lifts though my bodyweight was at 215lbs with similar bodyfat
I think rep ranges might have something to do with it as well, powerlifters generally train in a different range than bodybuilders

needsize said:
stats right now are just under 5'9", 245lbs at 11% bodyfat, when I hit most of those lifts though my bodyweight was at 215lbs with similar bodyfat
I think rep ranges might have something to do with it as well, powerlifters generally train in a different range than bodybuilders

A set of six is high reps to me. Occasionally I will hit some 10s or every once in great while a set of 20. Depends on where I am at in my training cycle. The closer to a meet I get the less reps I do. Just after a meet I’ll up reps and drop weight to just to have a break and to heal up a bit. One thing I don’t understand is why BBers would train differently than PLers when for putting on mass a PLing routine works better than the multiple set high rep routine. I can see where cutting for a show upping the reps would help but for normal bulking I am missing something. Once again I use Coleman for an example. Biggest guy out there who trains like a powerlifter. Squats heavy, pulls heavy, benches heavy and does heavy back work all for low reps and 1 or 2 work sets. We have several BBers in our gym but none of them are as big or heavily muscled as the PLers. The only difference I see is the training. My hats off to you for pulling heavy, obviously you understand what I am talking about.

I've always trained more like a powerlifter, my old training partner is ranked I believe 2nd in canada, squats almost 900 and benches close to 600 in competition, so thats the way I was taught. So my reps on the compound stuff was always around 5 reps, but I found that I was able to train too heavy that way, and my small frame couldnt take the really big weights. So for the time being I've dropped to 6-10 reps on the compound stuff, and it seems to be working for now

needsize said:
I've always trained more like a powerlifter, my old training partner is ranked I believe 2nd in canada, squats almost 900 and benches close to 600 in competition, so thats the way I was taught. So my reps on the compound stuff was always around 5 reps, but I found that I was able to train too heavy that way, and my small frame couldnt take the really big weights. So for the time being I've dropped to 6-10 reps on the compound stuff, and it seems to be working for now

yeah everybody is different and has a rep/set range that is more effective for them. overtraining is the biggest problem with most people who compete or even the average gym rat. some of the foks i train respond better to sets of 15 as opposed to 5 but we always keep the work sets limited to 1 or 2 and focus on the compound movements. good luck to you and nice looking abs in the pic.

Heavy compound movements should be the base of any lifting program. I notice that when I powerlift during the winter my muscle look really dense. You need a combination of higher and lower reps. This way you will get the best of both worlds: increased strength and hypertrophy. I always progressively pyramid my weights up while decreaseing my reps. Generally 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 and some times I will throw in some heavy tripples and negatives.

pipes said:
Heavy compound movements should be the base of any lifting program. I notice that when I powerlift during the winter my muscle look really dense. You need a combination of higher and lower reps. This way you will get the best of both worlds: increased strength and hypertrophy. I always progressively pyramid my weights up while decreaseing my reps. Generally 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 and some times I will throw in some heavy tripples and negatives.

I like a combination of rep ranges as well.

pullinbig said:
yeah everybody is different and has a rep/set range that is more effective for them. overtraining is the biggest problem with most people who compete or even the average gym rat. some of the foks i train respond better to sets of 15 as opposed to 5 but we always keep the work sets limited to 1 or 2 and focus on the compound movements. good luck to you and nice looking abs in the pic.

I have found the same thing, so now I limit my working sets for deads to one all out set after my warmup, and it seems to be working much better, size and strength wise

I like a combination of rep ranges as well. [/QUOTE]
It seems to work best for me. I also switch up my training into mini and macro cycles. In the winter I decrease my reps(3-8_ and increse the poundages to build up overall size and strength and in the summer I increase reps (8-12) and drop the wieght slightly. This seems to work as my body is continually getting new types of stress imposed on it; therfore, it never gets a chance to reach a plateau.

I have found the same thing, so now I limit my working sets for deads to one all out set after my warmup, and it seems to be working much better, size and strength wise [/QUOTE]
One all out set should keep up your strength for shure, but in order to induce the greatest amount of hypertrophy you need to full exhaust as many fibers as possible. Don't you think that you would benifit from multiple sets over a single?

pipes said:
I have found the same thing, so now I limit my working sets for deads to one all out set after my warmup, and it seems to be working much better, size and strength wise

One all out set should keep up your strength for shure, but in order to induce the greatest amount of hypertrophy you need to full exhaust as many fibers as possible. Don't you think that you would benifit from multiple sets over a single?
[/QUOTE]

I have found that one all out set to failure with heavy weight is all it takes to stimulate muscle growth and nerve excitation. as of recently i have been doing 2 sets of ten on deads. trying to build up to 585 for said sets. I started with 495 and each week move up if i got the reps/sets the prior week. I am up to 545 now and looking to move up another 15lbs next week. once i hit my goal (when ever that is) i'll cut reps back to 4 or 5 for 1 or 2 sets. 585 is not a lot of weight until you start doing the high rep stuff. I always blow my groceries after each set. I used to do the pyramid stuff until i decided strength is what i was after instead of looks. but you know what? when i made that commitment my body started changing in a more positive way. I remeber when i got certified and all the stuff i had to learn from the data provided and the stuff on the exam. 75% of it useless. i think the people that write that stuff are the same ones writing the articles in the BBing mags. this stuff aint rocket science. eat sleep and train heavy and you will grow. works every time.

On a big compound exercise like deads, I think one all out set to failure is enough for growth, its worked really well for me. Also, those all out sets are very heavy, up to 550lbs for 5 reps

needsize said:
On a big compound exercise like deads, I think one all out set to failure is enough for growth, its worked really well for me. Also, those all out sets are very heavy, up to 550lbs for 5 reps
Of course any form of resistance training is enough for growth. I was referring to optimal growth. I agree 550 lbs is very heavy, but then again so is 135lbs for a beginner. My basic point is that the more stress you impose on the muscles the more they will adapt. Which in this case means grow bigger and stronger. Then again Dorian Yates used the same method. Several progressively harder warm up sets followed by an all out working set.

needsize said:
Just want to agree on this one. Ive made great progress on deads by hitting one, sometimes two all out sets of around 3-4 reps. Im up to about 525 for 3, a year ago it was 405 for 3. Works for me.

pipes said:
Pulling big, do you follow a peroidization program to peak your strength for competition?

yeah as the meet approaches ( about 10 weeks out) I start cutting reps and upping the weight . stop some of the assitance work and focus on the three lifts. the last couple of weeks are singles and dbls. the week of the meet i take off and dont go to the gym cept to tan so i look good in my squat suit.. :D :D :D

dorian and ronnie (two of the biggest) both trained heavy for 1 or 2 work sets. this is a PLing routine up and down. last time i squatted here was my workout.

warm ups 45 for whatever
135 for 10
225 for 10
315 for 6 or 8
405 for 5
495 for 3
545 for a single

then 625 for two work sets of 5 reps.

two sets of box squats with 405 for 5 reps.

tanned and limped out to the truck hoping that MAMA would rub my legs when i got home. takes me about 5 days before i can walk correctly again.

come meet time i will cut reps and start hittin 700 for 4 or so, then 750 for dbls, then 775 or whatever for singles. and to be honest those singles and doubles take a lot out of me if i am hitting weight that is pushing me to the brink of passing out. give it a try sometime and see what happens. try a set of 20 on squats, thats all you need that day if you can only get it for 12 or so and have to rest just to get 2 more then rest again. long ass set that will rock your world. try to start with a weight that you feel good about 10 reps but stretch it into 20. i do these occasionally but not very often. F-ing brutal!!

pullinbig said:
coleman hoists some big numbers for a BBer. lolololol :D :D :D :D :D :D no way to avoid getting thicker in the middle as you increase poundages. that is the main area getting worked so it has to grow just as all other muscles grow under stress.

I guess it's good to have a powerlifter to put us bodybuilders in our place.

BigSickD said:
I guess it's good to have a powerlifter to put us bodybuilders in our place.

come over to the dark side. quit shavin and start lifting heavy. a thick hairy back is not a bad thang. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Iam a shorter guy 5'6 and wondering if doing squates and deads once per week will make me look to stalky becase they will widen my waist and lower back? And waht types of exercises if any can I sub for them thanx.

there is no sub for squats and deads. even if your midsection thickens everything else does also. so proportionally you''ll look the same, cept better. takes a while as well to thicken the gut area. not like its gonna happen over night. just do them and let the cards fall where they may. and do not wear a belt when doing core movements. not until you get where you are squatting over 6 for reps or pulling heavy as well. its like taking a shower with a rain coat on. defeats the purpose

Back