Do I Have A Pituitary Tumor?

stolpioni

Hi,

I have posted here in the past as I've been struggling with low T for the last year or so.

I went off Zoloft 6 months ago and 3 months after I did a full panel test. My testosterone had gone up from 0.4 to 0.5 (ref range 0.3-1.1),
so that should mean getting off the Zoloft probably worked a little bit.

However, it has now gone another 3 months and did another test...here is what worries me:

Testosterone: 0.514 (same as 3 months ago) - I know this could be a lot worse...but still it isn't optimal
Free Testosterone: 8.34 (reference range: 9-30)
Prolactin: 19.42 (reference range: 4-15) - 3 months ago it was 19.14...and now I have eaten 500mg's of Vitamin B6 every day for the last 3 months, this was supposed to lower Prolactin
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH): 4.25 (reference: 0.55 - 4.00...although I hear it should be between 1-2?) - this was 3.25 three months ago!
Follicle Stimulating Hormone: 2.19 (reference: 1.5 - 12.4)

T3, T4 and LH all within range.

My questions:

1. I am worried about the Prolactin and the TSH. Why are they so high?
2. What kind of examination should I do next? MRI?

Thanks

You need an MRI to find out about tumor. Someone with more knowledge will be along to tackle the prolactin and tsh question.

Be careful with the Vitamin B6. The following is from the Mayo Clinic.

Vitamin B6 may cause abnormal heart rhythms, acne, allergic reactions, breast enlargement or soreness, changes in folic acid levels, decreased muscle tone, drowsiness or sedation, feeling of a lump in the throat, feeling of tingling on the skin, headache, heartburn, loss of appetite, nausea, rash, recurrence of ulcerative colitis (an inflammatory bowel disorder), stomach discomfort or pain, sun sensitivity, vomiting, and worsened asthma.

Side effects to some ingredients of high-dose pyridoxine hydrochloride (which is injected into the vein) are possible.

Vitamin B6 may cause low blood pressure. Caution is advised in people with blood pressure disorders or in those taking drugs or herbs and supplements that lower blood pressure.

Vitamin B6 may affect blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in people with diabetes or low blood sugar, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Blood sugar levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Vitamin B6 may increase the risk of bleeding. Caution is advised in people with bleeding disorders or taking drugs that may increase the risk of bleeding. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.

Use cautiously in people who have heart conditions or stomach and intestine conditions.

Use cautiously in people taking agents for Parkinson's disease, as they may interact with vitamin B6.

Avoid in people with known allergy or sensitivity to any ingredient in vitamin B6 products.

Avoid in doses higher than 200 milligrams daily, due to the risk of nerve pain and seizures.

Avoid high doses during pregnancy or breastfeeding. A special product has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use during pregnancy, but it should not be used long-term or in high doses without the guidance of a medical provider, due to the risk of seizures in infants.

Thanks mega!

I actually stopped taking it a few days ago. My gut just told me that it was enough.
Good thing I didn't get any side effects while on it.

Back in the day, I had slightly elevated prolactin (same as yours) and saw a Dr for it. Reluctantly he did an MRI, which came back negative. He said generally, if prolactin is caused by a tumor, he sees values 5-20x the range... not 1 point over the top. Low dose Cabergoline got me fixed right up and it never came back.

The other measure you highlighted is TSH. Half the damn world has a TSH of 4+. I'd imagine a small dose of thyroid meds, via a Dr of course, could get you right back into line. Properly addressed thyroid could also potentially fix the other issues.

I am not a Dr, and not saying you are in the clear, but its a pretty huge leap at this point.

-Jim

Last edited:
1-Kindergarten-Cop-quotes.gif

lol sorry I had too :)

Usually if it is a tumor prolactin will be at insanely high levels. Even hundreds of times the normal thresholds.

As previously pointed out only an MRI can tell you for sure.

At this point i would ask is it necesarry for me to get an MRI if my Prolactin levels are perfectly normal? Can it still be the cause of secondary hypogonadism?

The reason i am asking this is i have low-normal test and low-normal lh and fsh, and perfectly normal prolactin.
because our country isnt up to date with testosterone issues, i am ashamed to just go to the doctor and say i want pituitary mri.

I just got prescribed Levothyroxine by the doc so will get on that to bring my TSH value down to 0,5-1.
This should also help bring the Prolactin down.

We'll see if it will help the testosterone otherwise it'll be TRT later.

Anyone know if I need to be on levothyroxine for the rest of my life or if this can "kick start" my natural thyroid so that I can go off it in a few months?

Levo did nothing for me. Just raised T4 through the roof, which wasn't getting converted to T3. Desiccated thyroid meds fixed me right up, which is combo T3/T4. Try T4 first, but if it doesn't work, request the good stuff.

Jim

Back