Do you think any steroids have a "permanent" effect? after giving them up?

goingtowin

The reason I ask is my friend swears his body has never been the same even after being off cycle for years.

he trained naturally for 8 years and was at his "genetic limit" then began cycling.

He's used just about every cycle imaginable over 5 years and he's been off for 2 years

He even showed me his body before taking steroids and his body now that he has been off for two years and it looks different? Like his muscles just look better shaped and everything looks more solid.

So that brings the question to mind... do you think it was just the additional training over 7 years or is it possible some steroids have a permanent lasting effect on our muscle? Keep in mind he trained for 8 years before even taking steroids and basically stopped gaining anything 6 years in from what he told me. until he cycled of course.

discuss!

I would defiantly say that taking steroids and then coming off and going natural is gonna benefit your strength. I am similar to your buddy I trained till I was 26 naturally and was on weight gainer protein all the stuff....I made it all the way to 220lbs naturally and could not get and more gains or strength. I ran some simple basic cycles for about 5 years off and on and my mass went up to about 250lbs....after about 5 years I took some time off (about 2 years) and I just recently went back about a year ago.... when I first started back I was stronger then I ever was before I started using....muscles looked more full natural....just big mass..... and where before I used to struggle with incline bench at 225 lbs going back just being bigger all natural I could do sets of 8 np..... but everybody different.....I would say the only thing that sucks about steroids and if you decide to come off forever you'll never feel the same mentally and you'll never have that addictive pump again!!! Imo

absolutely changes you permanently . AAS hormones bind to receptors and act on cells DNA . thats why steroids bring your beyond your "Genetic" capability , your altering your genetics. Thats a permanent change.
Also why guys like kevin levrone can quit training for 10 years and drop down to a 170 pound chub, and then come back at 250lbs on the olympia stage within 9 months. His genetics had been altered over years of AAS use.

even the compounds themselves have a 'genetic' look to them that can happen . look at a guy that only runs testosterone cycles mainly over the years, he has a distinct look compared to the guy that runs mainly DHT based compounds or runs Tren primarily over the years.
add in lots of HGH and Slin to this , and you got a whole other 'look' and genetic changes that can happen

Kevin Levrone gave up steroids for years. If they did not have at least some degree of permanent effect all the years that he took them in the 90s, do you think he would of really of been able to get on the olympia stage again this year after only 9 months

Kevin Levrone gave up steroids for years. If they did not have at least some degree of permanent effect all the years that he took them in the 90s, do you think he would of really of been able to get on the olympia stage again this year after only 9 months

That makes no sense had nothing to do with giving them uo such he never gave up test by the way he still needed to tske shit to get in shape again you know if you stopped lime you said there is bothing to brag about after 6 months let alone 2 years

my point is that he had taken AAS all those years , so when he decided to make a come back and take high amounts of AAS again , it only took him a short time to come back . thats because, imo, he had permanently changed his genetics from all the years he had been taking them .
if he would never had taken AAS in the first place and altered his genetics, then no way he could make a come back in 9 months. The AAS is the reason (not his personal genetics only that he was born with).

no steroids = no kevin levrone comeback

and i'm not just talking the steroids he took during his come back, I'm talking the 10 years worth of steroids he took during the 90s as well

It's the same exact reason why muscle memory works.

People like to point to retired bodybuilders who let themselves go as proof that AAS dont have permanent effects and gains are not keepable.

Most of these examples have stopped training with the same intensity and at best, may be taking low trt doses.

Muscle memory happens because when you train, the number of myonuclei increases, this is virtually a permanent change. When you stop training, the myonuclei dont go away, the muscle just shrinks in size.

Most people that shrink when they lower their AAS dose or come off were using AAS as a crutch and don't understand training and nutrition(most people think they do)

I remember at one point I was off aas for several years and got a super physical repetitious job in early fall and all winter I wore bibs and lots of layers then in the spring people were saying I was on steroids I thought it was funny.

So I would say yes they do change you forever.

absolutely changes you permanently . AAS hormones bind to receptors and act on cells DNA . thats why steroids bring your beyond your "Genetic" capability , your altering your genetics. Thats a permanent change.
Also why guys like kevin levrone can quit training for 10 years and drop down to a 170 pound chub, and then come back at 250lbs on the olympia stage within 9 months. His genetics had been altered over years of AAS use.

even the compounds themselves have a 'genetic' look to them that can happen . look at a guy that only runs testosterone cycles mainly over the years, he has a distinct look compared to the guy that runs mainly DHT based compounds or runs Tren primarily over the years.
add in lots of HGH and Slin to this , and you got a whole other 'look' and genetic changes that can happen
That's just muscle memory and nothing else.

Keep in mind that most long time steroid users/abusers never completely come off. Many stay on a trt dose of test which in many cases keeps their levels higher than what they were as a teenager.

So let me try to understand this.... So a long time steroid user can come off potentially not even produce normal amounts of test but miraculously look good because of the permanent changes? That sounds awesome sign me up

Nobody said you will look the same. Read the text. You will permanently have more muscle than someone who was never exposed.

No one ever said you come off completely and look the same. Can you quote me, roush, or anyone else in this thread saying that?

AAS leave you with a muscle memory beyond what you would have naturally. It's okay if some people can't understand the science, just know that it's a real effect.

I mentioned people shrinking earlier when they lower dose or come off, many lose all gains. Those who know how to train and eat will retain more muscle than they would have naturally, especially if their testosterone levels recover naturally or they maintain with optimal levels of testosterone.

I know many people who maintain 90% strength and mass on TRT-moderate test doses. If you maintain training intensity, protein/calorie intake, you won't shrink like a balloon. You are permanently enhanced, doesn't mean it won't go away without optimal training/nutrition.

Last edited:
That's just muscle memory and nothing else.

"JUST muscle memory " , come on man, if you become a 270 pound body builder through the use of steroids, then you have the 'muscle memory' of a 270 pound body builder , NOT the muscle memory of the 170 pound doush bag you used to be before steroid use .
so its the steroids that got you there and made the permanent genetic changes for the 'muscle memory' to go back to

Last edited:
"JUST muscle memory " , come on man, if you become a 270 pound body builder through the use of steroids, then you have the 'muscle memory' of a 270 pound body builder , NOT the muscle memory of the 170 pound doush bag you used to be before steroid use .
so its the steroids that got you there and made the permanent genetic changes for the 'muscle memory' to go back to

Guys I had a long years layoff with the drugs and life. I am on a much lower scale but it happened to me. I think it was more then just muscle memory. Don't bash me, I didn't get all the way back and I'm nothing to brag about but just saying me comparing to me so much came JUST SO FAST.

just my .02 cents

Nobody said you will look the same. Read the text. You will permanently have more muscle than someone who was never exposed.

No one ever said you come off completely and look the same. Can you quote me, roush, or anyone else in this thread saying that?

AAS leave you with a muscle memory beyond what you would have naturally. It's okay if some people can't understand the science, just know that it's a real effect.

I mentioned people shrinking earlier when they lower dose or come off, many lose all gains. Those who know how to train and eat will retain more muscle than they would have naturally, especially if their testosterone levels recover naturally or they maintain with optimal levels of testosterone.

I know many people who maintain 90% strength and mass on TRT-moderate test doses. If you maintain training intensity, protein/calorie intake, you won't shrink like a balloon. You are permanently enhanced, doesn't mean it won't go away without optimal training/nutrition.

Fuck you they are weak as fuck if they can maintain the same strength on trt stop spreading non sense im not some fucken newb kid..... What a fucken insult what the fuck are steroids for if i can be just as strong without them wanna slap your ass lol

Last edited:
Back