Do you think one of them is using gear pt. 2

Except I don't want my lats or delts involved with a shrug. I'm isolating the trapezius muscle and while I do agree that I lose the assisting muscle stimulation to maintain balance; I do have other exercises for them. In fact, I'd dare to say that a SMITH machine (ohhhhh shit, see what I did there?) may even do a better job than a free standing barbell just for the purposes of isolation as you're able to focus on just that muscle. Of course hand strength does come into play, but I refuse to wear straps. :p

Hmm, if you like sand - it's time to bust out the broken glass! :D

OMG BROSCIENCE! I'd like to add doing shrugs behind the back on the smith is 100 times better than free standing. I'd kill myself if I did heavy shrugs behind the back with a free bar.
This argument is invalid. What about DB shrugs? That also takes out the additional free movements that a barbell would have, same with a trap bar, or those hammer strength shrug machines.

OMG BROSCIENCE! I'd like to add doing shrugs behind the back on the smith is 100 times better than free standing. I'd kill myself if I did heavy shrugs behind the back with a free bar.
This argument is invalid. What about DB shrugs? That also takes out the additional free movements that a barbell would have, same with a trap bar, or those hammer strength shrug machines.

I can't do db shrugs. We don't have heavy enough ones for me to play with. :(

I wonder how heavy db's go nowadays. I remember seeing 135 pounders back in the day, but I don't remember seeing anything higher. 150? 200?

Man, fuck ya'll. I'm gonna start doing squats, bench, deads, OHP, curls, rows, lateral raises, leg press, AND dips n pullups on the smith.

Yep, theres a video of Coleman out there pressing 200's.
My gym has DB's that go up to at least 150. I'm not 100% but I think they top out at 175/each.

200's look pretty damned ridiculous:
hqdefault.jpg

I can't do db shrugs. We don't have heavy enough ones for me to play with. :(

I wonder how heavy db's go nowadays. I remember seeing 135 pounders back in the day, but I don't remember seeing anything higher. 150? 200?

I meant it as part of my argument as to why the smith is valid for shrugs. I'll also add that I use straps during my smith shrugs. I'm not going to limit my traps because my forearms fail. Plus it helps keep the bar from locking mid shrug. I HATE THAT SHIT. And no I don't use straps for deads, and yes I hit forearms directly.

I've seen them up to 200. I'm sure they go higher than that though.

Yeah I'm just gonna pretend that I know what it's like to pick up 500 lbs. Hahaha. I've been using the leg press again for a while now as well. I can't go that heavy anymore though. I'm short so I have to keep my feet near the base otherwise I can't unlock it lol. I also try to go deeper and wider than I used to, so it's a lot more difficult. Back in the day I got up to 900 for half reps. Now I'm doin 640 with much better form.
Yeah, I have to be very careful at that weight on the sled as I can literally bruise my ribs when my quads come into contact with my chest. As I can't do squats (knees suck), that's pretty much the only way I can see building up my leg muscles enough to hopefully be able to force my knees into staying in the socket. Something I used to do when trying to compete in deadlift as a younger guy was that I'd intentionally try to lift more than I knew I could. Once you get a feel for that weight (even with assistance), it's far less scary. The only thing that sucks is when your grip strength just can't hold the weight anymore. I used to do a lot of forearm work and hand exercises (spring loaded grips anyone?) to help, but eventually you have to use straps as even chalk doesn't cut it.

Man, fuck ya'll. I'm gonna start doing squats, bench, deads, OHP, curls, rows, lateral raises, leg press, AND dips n pullups on the smith.
Hahaha. When I see folks doing dips/pullups on the smith, my blood begins to boil. I've always wanted to try curls on the smith, but I think it would just be too awkward. As I can curl 250 on the preacher machine (yeah, I know - but I do my concentration/hammers with db's. :p), I'd love to know what I can do with an actual barbell again. Used to do 225 back in high school, but my tendons aren't nearly as strong anymore.

Damn, I can't wait to hop on deca.

Yep, theres a video of Coleman out there pressing 200's.
My gym has DB's that go up to at least 150. I'm not 100% but I think they top out at 175/each.

200's look pretty damned ridiculous:
hqdefault.jpg

Holy shit. That is INSANE looking! I would NOT want to do that without a spotter! As I've taken my fair share of dumbbells to the face, I can't imagine what that would do to the noggin! :eek:

Back