Douche stories from the gym...

BAPilgrims

So I generally try to refrain from complaining but I assume we've all dealt with these types of people so why not

So there's this guy at my gym, real country boy hard ass type who comes in and benches twice a week with all of his fat buddies. Every day he pumps himself up and throws his 475lbs on the bar as he prepares to show up everyone in the gym. He then reaches into his bag, pulls out his bench assist band, and proceeds to wiggle his chubby arms inside the extremely taut bands. He gets under his weight and struggles to get his arms wide enough to grip the bar, tells his three buddies to position themselves at each end of the bar and in the middle to spot him. They grip the bar tight, lift it up, he struggles to pull the weight enough to stretch the bands, does what looks like an inverted shrug, and then they rack it, all the while his friends never stopped clenching the bar.

I see later on facebook that he posts his video stating he is the only one in the gym who can perform such a feat, with his buddies encouraging him all the while.

So the next time I see him performing this maneuver I ask him what exercise he is doing, "bench press" he replies. When I ask why he uses the bench assist and three spotters he replies that he had been using bad form and injured his shoulder accordingly and was using the assistance to help return his form to normal. When I asked why he did not simply do weight that he could manage without assistance and with proper form he explains to me the science of how that is the improper way to build muscle. I smile and walk away as he begins to fasten his hardcore, oversized, rusty chains onto his leg press(the same chains he uses on every exercise that allows him to do so)

I just wanted to share with you the excitement of a small town gym, feel free to add gym horror stories of your own

I don't mind bad form, hell they can do whatever they want if they think it does them some good, but it gets irritating in a small town where they try to take credit undeserved and away from the people who have actually earned it

I saw this one guy stack the bar out with 25lb rubber coated Olympic weights and proceeded to have his buddies take a picture of it. It looked like he loaded the bar out with 7 forty-five lb plates on each side. It looked like 675lbs...but it was really 395lbs. But like they say, if the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending. It was never more true than that day.

we had this guy that didnt think the regular pull up bar was good enough for him so he would strap a barbell on the crossbeam of the cable station and do pull ups there so he could see himself in the mirror

Nothing too out of the norm, but there's this father-son combo that comes into my gym all the time that gets annoying. They both have the same body type... both are obese (Dad ~ 300) (15-16 y/o son ~230) but they do have a decent amount of muscle underlying all the flab. Well they purposely make a scene everywhere they go with loud noises while lifting, weights clanking, and yelling at each other to do more reps. They also load up accessory exercises with as much weight as they can and proceed to use momentum to get each and every rep. HUGE ego lifters

I go to a real "hero" gym. It's not a chain, just a very good gym with loads of interesting equipment to play with. It obviously attracts competitive bodybuilders and yes, there are some big boys who usually train with other units and keep to themselves, but there is also this infestation of groups of 18-21yo kids that seem to follow the leader of the pack around. I'm talking groups of 4+. This "leader" is usually sporting a hilariously gay singlet, or excuse for a singlet, and some short shorts. He coaches them and they all do what he says. Deadlifts in the smith machine? Yes! Squatting with a spotter on each side and behind for all sets and all grabbing the bar at the wrong time to inflict some good back injuries? Yes! It does provide some entertainment for me when I'm in between sets though.

Don't even get me started on those massive headphones.

Back