Eat real food? No protein shake.

MJF

WWPBBD
I have alot of time on my hands right now, working nights so I'm researching and watching youtube videos and whatever else I can. I would love to be able to hire 3J's to set me up on a correct plan, but my wife said no (did you hear that whip cracking?). In her defense, I have without anyone's help lost 34 lbs and gained muscle the last 6 months. But dieting down is relatively easy. Now I want to stay lean but add 10-15 lbs of good muscle.

So I watched a Rich Piana youtube about eating real food and dropping the protein shakes. Is there really a huge difference between real food and a protein shake preworkout? For example, I wake up and have a protein shake and am in the gym lifting within 40 minutes. To eat, I would need to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier. And that's if I prepared the food the night before and just scarfed it down so it would have some digestion time before working out.

I usually eat a little something after the workout, but nothing substantial.

Being lazy and being in shape don't really go hand in hand. Food is by far the best source for nutrition value. If it was so easy to eat rite, everybody would do it.

I have alot of time on my hands right now, working nights so I'm researching and watching youtube videos and whatever else I can. I would love to be able to hire 3J's to set me up on a correct plan, but my wife said no (did you hear that whip cracking?). In her defense, I have without anyone's help lost 34 lbs and gained muscle the last 6 months. But dieting down is relatively easy. Now I want to stay lean but add 10-15 lbs of good muscle.

So I watched a Rich Piana youtube about eating real food and dropping the protein shakes. Is there really a huge difference between real food and a protein shake preworkout? For example, I wake up and have a protein shake and am in the gym lifting within 40 minutes. To eat, I would need to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier. And that's if I prepared the food the night before and just scarfed it down so it would have some digestion time before working out.

it piss's me off people look at shakes liek they are not food, THEY ARE FOOD!!! they SHOULD be a staple in supps IMO!
the issue is when you compinsate for a shitty diet or beng lazy with protein drinks. they are an addition not a substitute in most cases.
I dont even eat meat and I put effort in diet for growth. dont drop the shakes IMO

it piss's me off people look at shakes liek they are not food, THEY ARE FOOD!!! they SHOULD be a staple in supps IMO!
the issue is when you compinsate for a shitty diet or beng lazy with protein drinks. they are an addition not a substitute in most cases.
I dont even eat meat and I put effort in diet for growth. dont drop the shakes IMO

remember that whey isolate is a SUPPLEMENT.. its meant to SUPPLEMENT your diet.. not replace your meals..

so long as you keep that in mind you should be fine..

i try to stick to one shake a day..

remember that whey isolate is a SUPPLEMENT.. its meant to SUPPLEMENT your diet.. not replace your meals..

so long as you keep that in mind you should be fine..

i try to stick to one shake a day..

The value of proting shakes is post work out when you have a 15 minute wind to get protein in the body and converted to glycogen. Whey is the only thing that is absorbed in the lining of the stomach fast enough and able to take advantage of that anabolic window. If you want to grow efficiently you must consume whey protein shakes.

Last edited:
Think they covered your question pretty well.

You won't catch me drinking garbage whey anymore tho.

Hbcd, pepto pro, whey isolate, eaa, bcaa, creatine, and intra-md sums up my list atm

For those that are lactose intolerant, brown rice isolate is a great alternative. Make sure you get it flavored, though...I just bought some unflavored as a test...not good.

In two weeks when I get off this crazy work schedule, I plan to focus in my diet and try to do a slow, lean bulk and also change my workout. I will say I am too "lazy" to measure out each portion and weigh every piece of food I eat.

Once I can cook at home again, should I plan on a meal approx 1 & 1/2 hour before the gym and use my whey protein shake immediately after? In that meal, do I need carbs or mostly proteins? Consider the fact that for the last 6 months I've been on a carb restricted eating plan. I realize I will need to add carbs back in to grow, but I want to be smart about it.

So much bro science here. Anabolic window myth has already been debunked. Supplements are not regulated by any agency. 90% is whey from china. China is fond of selling items with heavy metals including their whey. Studies show that the whey content is under dosed.

So much bro science here. Anabolic window myth has already been debunked. Supplements are not regulated by any agency. 90% is whey from china. China is fond of selling items with heavy metals including their whey. Studies show that the whey content is under dosed.

I get canadian or usa made whey (or other proteins) and usually hae them make me custom blends. I do agree alot of off the shelf stuff or people not doign their research end up with crap.
I also agree with anabolic window comment....
I also want to add spikes in amino acids in the blood is good for growth, I would rec 2-4 shakes a day + good diet IMO at least one of them being after training.

I dont agree 90% of whey is from china. protein makers use cows... cows are in many parts (im sure all) of the world. I have had protein derived from whey from a few countries. now if you mean most of the whey in USA is from china, then who knows. but talking globally ... no I do not agree

Last edited:
For those that are lactose intolerant, brown rice isolate is a great alternative. Make sure you get it flavored, though...I just bought some unflavored as a test...not good.

Whey isolate is lactose free. If you are lactose intolerant seek un pasteurized milk it will make a big difference in how your body is able to absorb nutrient.

Ok I pulled that stat out of my ass. Now, if one where to google heavy metals in whey protein they would probably gain a new perspective of there supplement consumption. More amino acids sounds good for gains. I quit shakes months ago because I want top of the line nutrition so I stick to organic and grass fed and so on. Now, I am still interested in a trusted study that shows the benefit of the whey. I know I have read one, but it was probably funded by a supplement company. Shit hold on I might be going catabolic as I type. I gotta go grab some whey before I lose all kinds of gains

If I'm not terribly mistaken, you burn more calories when you are digesting real food, than a liquid protein shake ((ideal if you looking to cut fat). Plus there are other variables such as aminoacid and nutritional profiles of a shake compared to a real meal.
Mixing 2 scoops in a glass of water or almond milk seems the easy way to go, but grilling or baking a piece of chicken doesn't require much more work.

Whey isolate is lactose free. If you are lactose intolerant seek un pasteurized milk it will make a big difference in how your body is able to absorb nutrient.

By lactose free, it means 99% lactose free - some are even 99.9% free. Sadly for me, that is still too much. :(

I tried a few different brands of whey isolate and all of them gave me terrible gas. When I switched to vegetable based proteins the gas went away.

EDIT: Though if you have a high quality brand you can recommend, I am willing to give it another shot. Worse case is one of my poorer friends who is trying to gain muscle gets a bunch of high quality whey isolate. :)

Last edited:
If I'm not terribly mistaken, you burn more calories when you are digesting real food, than a liquid protein shake ((ideal if you looking to cut fat). Plus there are other variables such as aminoacid and nutritional profiles of a shake compared to a real meal.
Mixing 2 scoops in a glass of water or almond milk seems the easy way to go, but grilling or baking a piece of chicken doesn't require much more work.

I buy 60 pounds of chicken at a shot at Sam's Club (due to the insanely low price on boneless, skinless, chicken breast there). I then freeze all of it but 15 pounds. I remove any excess fat and cartilage they may have missed, then slice the breasts in half long ways, to make them thinner, weigh them out and ensure they are about 7oz, then grill them. Each pack is about 5 pounds of chicken, and that amount fits perfectly on my grill. This means I do 3 cycles of grilling. While the first is grilling, I prepare the second, etc. I always have little pieces left over (that I trimmed off to get the right weight), and I grill them too. The wife uses the little pieces in various means for herself. I keep s6 pieces in the fridge and freeze the rest.

When I get down to 3 pieces left, I grab another pack of six and thaw it in the fridge. When I get down to only three pieces left total I repeat the cycle.

I do recommend the solid muscle whey isolate with raw milk. There aren't any fillers and the it's best price on5 lbs in t he world. Unfortunately they are not shipping now. There are having problems with there shipper.

I buy 60 pounds of chicken at a shot at Sam's Club

How much is it per pound at Sam's? I buy mine from Wal-Mart at 1.99/lb and essentially do exactly as you, only in 20lb weekly purchases.

To the Op, every night, I eat right when I get into my car after work. Always whole foods for that meal, and then an hour to an hour and a half I'm at the gym starting my workout. Right when I get home from the gym I refuel with Whey, Simple Carbs, a fruit, and some PB. Whether the window exists or not, you just lost a lot of energy from your workout.. gonna have to replenish with a nice balance of quick nutrients

Back