FILTER VIALS to replace syringe filtration? Anybody tried these yet?

Hugh Jerection

Just ran across these and they are small (looks like maybe a 5mL vial), but seem incredibly easy to use. Check out the video on this page:

https://htslabs.com/catalog/?d=filtration

There is a handy chart to show which filter vial would replace the common Whatman syringe filters. There must be a reason why no one seems to be using these. According to their chemical list, benzyl alcohol is ok to use in them, but they do not list benzyl benzoate as either ok or not recommended...

That looks incredibly time consuming and tedious. Can you imagine filtering 5ml at a time? What does each little filter cost?

That looks incredibly time consuming and tedious. Can you imagine filtering 5ml at a time? What does each little filter cost?

Well, if you're using bottle top filtration, I'm sure it would seem time consuming and tedious. Were you able to view the video? it didn't seem that bad to me. They say its much quicker than syringe filtration. 15 seconds to filter 5mL, versus 3 minutes thru the Whatman. I'd definitely want to see that with GSO to determine if that's relevant to us, but that's their claim here: Thomson | Cost Benefit Solution

If you think about it, the vials hold about 5mL, so a small 50mL batch would require 10 filter vials. They say 10 filter vials can be filled in under 3 minutes.

The pricing is a case of 24 for about $36, which makes them about the same cost or maybe a little cheaper when you add up one syringe, plus one whatmans, plus 5 10mL vials (from my above example). They have a cost savings breakdown at the link above, but they use a different filter vial and heavily slant the equation based on cost of labtime, so it really isn't much use for our purposes.

I don't know. The quality must be pretty high, and consistent. They are made to filter all kinds of chemo and other IV infusion drugs.

Looks pretty awesome if you wanna whip up a small batch. So the top is crimped with a rubber stopper ready to draw out the filtered product? Can anyone buy them or do you have to have a registered business. Looked a bit tedious to order from their site asking for lab details ect.

Any idea on how long it stays sterile for once filtered and left in the same vial with all the crap that got stuck in the filter.

I think you might be right, Hugh. If that's the cost for 24, then it's not so bad. I was under the impression they'd be MUCH more expensive. The membrane is going to determine whether it's a yes or no.

it is surprisingly cheap; great for novice homebrewer that just need small quantities. good find; Rasta is right @ the membrane; needs to be .22um nylon or pvdf.. I filter with bottletops and nylon does a great job

Back