filterting out binders help

simpllyhuge

i wanted to filter the binders out of spiro tabs. i was told i could put dissolve them in alcohol and then filter through a coffe filter. can i just use a bottle top filter? then i was told to put it in the oven and let the alcohol evaporate? thanks

actually i was just told the alcohol would explode? i know some one can help since you all have used fina and syno pellets in the past. the spiro tabs are like 80% binder.

sorry fold the triple post but also if i want told that the tabs are 80% binder then a 25mg tab still has 25mg not including the binder correct?

simpllyhuge said:
actually i was just told the alcohol would explode? i know some one can help since you all have used fina and syno pellets in the past. the spiro tabs are like 80% binder.

I think you would be fine using 80 proof vodka and heating, wouldnt try it with grain though. The info I gave you in the other post recommended heating the solution to 71C, or around 158F. When distilling Ethanol the target temp is around 173F, which is where it begins to vaporize. Dougoe would probably know for sure but I'd say you should be fine.

simpllyhuge said:
sorry fold the triple post but also if i want told that the tabs are 80% binder then a 25mg tab still has 25mg not including the binder correct?

If the tabs say they have 25mg of a certain drug in them they have 25mg of that drug, binders and fillers don't mean anything.

doc cj suggested that i might be able to use rubbing alcohol. i also have ba thou if that should be used.

so i guess im just gonna put x amount of pills in the rubbing alcohol and let it dissolve, maybe heat it. then pour it through one or two coffe filters and then a bottle top if neccasary. Then put the beaker in hot water intill all the alcohol evaporates.

how many pills do i need to make 3% and 5% and how much alcohol? thanks

simpllyhuge said:
doc cj suggested that i might be able to use rubbing alcohol. i also have ba thou if that should be used.

so i guess im just gonna put x amount of pills in the rubbing alcohol and let it dissolve, maybe heat it. then pour it through one or two coffe filters and then a bottle top if neccasary. Then put the beaker in hot water intill all the alcohol evaporates.

how many pills do i need to make 3% and 5% and how much alcohol? thanks

I wouldnt advise heating rubbing alcohol, which is isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol like in vodka. You did know this yes? I'm pretty sure Iso can ignite pretty easily in air, plus you start heating it and inhaling vapors and that probably aint very good either.

Start off with 1 pill. Dunk it in some vodka, heat it a little bit, little stir action and watch it disolve. If it does there you go problem solved.

The alcohol isn't part of the final product, it serves as an extraction solvent. Follow the steps in my post in the other thread.

I imagine you probably want just enough ethanol to submerge all the tabs, dont fill the beaker. To make 3% or 5% all depends on how much of it you're making. 50g jar of the stuff (just throwing that out there because thats what Benzaclin comes in) at 3% would be

50g x .03 = 1.5g

48.5g mixing solution
1.5g spiro (or in your case 60 - 25mg tabs)

Just make sure not to heat it above 71C as they said in the other post because apparently it degrades the spiro when its heated above that. Good luck

whats benzaclin? how would i figure out the amount of powder that goes into the amount of lotion?

Last edited:
simpllyhuge said:
whats benzaclin? how would i figure out the amount of powder that goes into the amount of lotion?

Benzaclin is just a benzyl peroxide cream for acne that I used to get from the derm back when I had insurance and could afford the luxuries like that, lol

I'm not sure of the mixing topicals dealie. Maybe just use 48.5g of cream/cetaphil/whatever you had planned on doing and mix it with either 1.5g of spiro for 3% or 2.5 of spiro powder for 5%. This would be to make a 50g jar, little bit smaller diameter and a bit taller than a Skoal tobacco can.

simpllyhuge: A-10's procedure should work as well....
They way I told you to use the isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be a problem but overall A-10's instructions look easier to follow.

ok i was just confused about the math. i wanst sure if u figuring it out by grams was the same because the last instruction were for volume. im actually gonna see what the cream is like at 5% and if its still not that bad im gonna make it lik 7% or 10%. so now i get it. 10 percent would be 5 grams of powder and then i would only use 45 grams of lotion. thanks

can i crush the tabs first to speed things up? a-10 what do u think about adding in some finastride or dutastride. check the other posts, i posted something i wanted your opinion on.

simpllyhuge said:
can i crush the tabs first to speed things up? a-10 what do u think about adding in some finastride or dutastride. check the other posts, i posted something i wanted your opinion on.

I copied and pasted your reply from the other thread here because I think its more of a chem forum topic, plus some of the other chem knowledgable can give better advice than I.

simpllyhuge said:
a-10 check this out, they sell topical finastride plus they sell topical spiro and duta combo. i wouldnt pay that for it but i would like to try and copy it if u wanna help.

http://www.lipoxidil.com/site/fina.php

According to that page "Fina-Lotion contains 37.5 mg Finasteride Ethosomes and 10% Zinc Ethosomes in a fat free ethanolic base lotion. Zinc is important to keep the solution stable and skin-friendly." Ethosomes are water/phospholipid/ ethanol combined. The phospholipids being glycerol + fatty acids combined. It seems the hype about the product is its use of the ethosomes to act directly on the sebaceous glands in the scalp.

First, the order page lists it as having .125%, except 30g with 37.5mg of Fina like they say is .00125% not the .125. Maybe my math is wrong but thats a fraction of what the normal dose. I know much less is needed for fina to be effective when applied topically but I didn't think it was that minute of an amount. Either ethosomes are incredibly effective at doing this or the stuff is a scam. The combo of duta and spiro would seem like a productive for sure. I gotta run but I'll post more later.

so in laymens terms can i just dump X amount of duta or finas in my loiton to get an added benfit with the spiro

simpllyhuge said:
how much do u suggest? and should i go with fina or duta

From what I can see Duta would be the beest choice. Its stronger on a mg per mg basis so les would need to be used saving some $ possibly, and more importantly it seems to be superior because it has a considerable effect on both Type2 and Type 1 5ar.

The thing that I'm trying to figure out is how much topical dutasteride is needed topically before its absorbed systemically, which is what I'm trying to steer clear of. IMO I would mix up seperate batches of each instead of one combo one. That way you're not locked into certain ratios.

Earlier I briefly saw a post about a Swiss doc who only leaves the Duta on for minutes while in the shower and has seen great results and is writing a book about it, yet to hear anything else on that thus far.

For right now mix up the spiro at 5%o, maybe even 7-8% if you want. In the meantime I'm gonna try and see if I can find the studies with the dutasteride to see what dose was most effective. They said the study that used the best had used a "cream vehicle", whatever the hell that was not sure.

i wonder if they had dmso in it because then it might actually be working systamatically. BUt i wouldnt mind it that much if a little seeped into the blood stream. i could always adjust it.

their was something on one of the hair boards that said by adding this oil or something it increases it 10 times. ill check.

Back