Food increases the bioavailability of accutane

hhajdo

Community Veteran
Food increases the bioavailability of isotretinoin.

Colburn WA, Gibson DM, Wiens RE, Hanigan JJ.

Twenty healthy male subjects received 80 mg (2 X 40 mg SEG capsules) oral isotretinoin separated by two-week washout periods in an open randomized crossover design. Isotretinoin was administered during a complete fast, 1 hour after a standard breakfast, with a standard breakfast, or 1 hour before a standard breakfast. Blood samples were obtained at specific times over a 72-hour period. Isotretinoin blood concentrations were determined by a specific HPLC method. The relative bioavailability (AUC) of isotretinoin was found to be approximately 1.5 to 2 times greater when the dose was administered 1 hour before, concomitantly with, or 1 hour after a meal than when it was given during a complete fast. In addition, because the Cmax value is lower when the dose is administered with food rather than 1 hour after a meal, coadministration of isotretinoin with food may be the best method of administration.

----------------------------

...Due to its high lipophilicity, oral absorption of isotretinoin is enhanced when given with a high-fat meal. In a crossover study, 74 healthy adult subjects received a single 80 mg oral dose (2 x 40 mg capsules) of Accutane under fasted and fed conditions. Both peak plasma concentration (Cmax) and the total exposure (AUC) of isotretinoin were more than doubled following a standardized high-fat meal when compared with Accutane given under fasted conditions.
The observed elimination half-life was unchanged. This lack of change in half-life suggests that food increases the bioavailability of isotretinoin without altering its disposition. The time to peak concentration (Tmax) was also increased with food and may be related to a longer absorption phase. Therefore, Accutane capsules should always be taken with food...

very interesting sir... i guess i will be taking my accutane with cheeseburgers from now on :D

Back