? for medical professionals

thepeg

i have a history of heart disease in my family, father had open heart surgery at 53 and died of a stroke at 60. i have had high bp for 3 years now, controlled with meds. during the time where i didnt take meds my heart started going up to 100 at rest (1 episode), a cardiologist checked me, stress test and heart moniter with nothing showing up. by taking as am i putting myself at risk? i have used for over 7 years, stats 39 yoa 6-03 263 bf around 10-11%. if so how can i reduce chances of any problems?

I am not a medical professional, but will tell you that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) are known to raise the blood pressure, some more than others. If you are prone to high blood pressure and have a history of it within the genes of your family, then I would say you are MORE SUCCEPTIBLE to getting the side effects, but not that you will get them 100%. Gear will affect each of us differently, so its really hard to tell. It would be nice if you could talk to you doctor about this (assuming he knows his ass from a hole in the ground on this topic). An even better person to talk to about this would be an endocrinologist...

I would say that if your health is your primary concern, talk to a medical professional before injecting yourself with it so you know all the pros/cons and then decide for yourself whether this is right for you. You only get one chance at life!

Derek

what meds do you take for blood pressure? What do you mean by, "during the time where i didnt take meds my heart started going up to 100 at rest (1 episode)"? Do you mean pulse or diastolic pressure? What oer chronic illnesses do you have? Diabetes, high cholesterol? Do you smoke or drink? Also what exact sugery did your father have? A CABG?

100 was my resting heart rate that day, my blood pressure was around 155/100 then. it is controlled now with norvesc 2.5 mg, no diabetes, cholesterol a little over 200. yes it was a cabg.

Without a doubt you are increasing your risk of having a CV event by taking steroids. Even if all other risk factors are controlled within the appropriate ranges, your risk will still be higher b/c ofthe steroid use.
If all risk factors are controlled properly (BP, lipids, etc.), then you decrease your risk to a certain degree. How much this is "negated" by the steroid use, I don't know.
If nothing else, get BP, lipids, etc checked regularly (q1-2 months) and make sure they are well below the recommended limits for "your" level of risk (which can be determined).
That is probably the best advice I can give you, aside from advising you to not take steroids.

I agree with Durabol, Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) has been implicated in raisng BP and lowering HDL ("good cholesterol") levels. It's up to you; do you want to live longer or continue using. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) is one of the many risk factors of coronary artery disease that can eliminate.

P.S. Why Norvasc and not an ACE inhibitor? Most docs I work with use ACEI's as first line therapy for HTN.

carlomarx said:
......P.S. Why Norvasc and not an ACE inhibitor? Most docs I work with use ACEI's as first line therapy for HTN.

It depends actually. CCB's (or thiazides) are first line for isolated systolic HT. They can also be alternate 1st line to ACEI's/ARB's in uncomplicated HT.

Actually, ACEI's are only recommended 1st line for HT with diabetes, HF, renal disease, or previous CVA. Thiazides are actually recommended 1st line for uncomplicated HT

durabol said:
Actually, ACEI's are only recommended 1st line for HT with diabetes, HF, renal disease, or previous CVA. Thiazides are actually recommended 1st line for uncomplicated HT
This is very good info, and you actually beat me to it. We usually prescribe HCTZ as a frist line med ( a thiazide diuretic). I would actually use ACE 2nd in a regular pt. as opposed to 1st line in DM, HF, or renal dz pts..

Last edited:
I some times recommend the use of Beta blocker ( ie metoprolol) if the HR is high, but usually in the older person, whom is less active ( and ofcourse doenst have a history of asthma).
Mate i presume your HT has been investigated and proclaimed "essential HT", and other causes have been ruled out (ie renal artery stenosis, hyper thyroid etc)
some one with a strong family history of CV illness, and also whom is hypertensive, has an increased risk of having heart attack or stroke.
Anyone taking any gear increases that risk. By how much, hard to tell, probably genetically determined, and science hasnt caught up yet.
note : use of BP medication and gear can decrease libido

i am not sure why the doctor gave me norvesc, i did mention i didnt want any thing that would cause sexual problems. i havent checked my cholesterol levels before and after cycles but i can start to. i knew as affect bp but didnt think it was such a factor with blood lipids. thanks for all the responses and info, i may need to start changing how i approach this now, getting a little to old for this or just cut back.

I am a med student and a personal trainer and i recoomend being careful even if you are on meds treating it, steroids do increase your BP no matter how you look at it. They increase your Na retention and decrease your K retention. The Na retention is a great way to increase Blood volume, thus always increasing your BP. It increases your RBC and decreases your WBC's and monocytes and lymphocytes causing you to have a decrease in immune function. No matter what type of heart disease your father had, it puts you at greater risk, and it starts with the Blood pressure. First line relatives increase your risk i think 10-20 times for getting it. And remember Heart disaese is the number one killer in the US. And i'm not saying BMI is a good index, but its fairly good at predicting such things as heart disease but...keep an eye on that. I mean there are people that are in great shape with high BMI, but then there also arent. Good luck

Back