Free Diet Advice from 3J

3J

Super Moderator
FAIR WARNING: IF YOUR POST DOES NOT HAVE YOUR STATS, BMR, TDEE, GOALS, AND A COMPLETE DIET WITH FULL MACROS, I WILL NOT CRITIQUE YOUR DIET!! IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A MORE PERSONALIZED ONE ON ONE SERVICE WHERE I AM IN CONTROL OF YOUR NUTRITION AND EXERCISE PLEASE EMAIL ME AT 3JDIET@GMAIL.COM TO BECOME A CLIENT OR GO TO 3JSDIET.COM TO GET MORE INFORMATION. EMAILS ABOUT FREE DIET ADVICE WILL BE IGNORED!!

thought i'd put this out here.. this is my sticky for diet critique..

if you want diet advice, please read through everything and then post up your proposed diet..

Welcome to the boards diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

height
bf
goals.. be specific

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example: (btw these macros are not correct, just an example)

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
1g carb - 4cal
1g fat - 9cal
1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading)

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I should also give you an idea of what dieting should look like... you need to make sure every last calorie you take in isn't an empty calorie... every time you eat you should be eating with a purpose which is to fuel your body for growth and fat loss (predicated on your goals)...

Good meats/protien to eat..

Chicken Breast
Turkey Breast
Eggs/Egg Whites
Bison/Deer Meat
93% and up lean beef (ground beef, roast beef, london broil are just a few examples)
Fish (tuna, salmon, talipa etc..)
Whey (PWO ONLY)
Casien (BEDTIME ONLY)

Good Complex Carbs

Oats (not that instant crap, all natural steel cut/rolled oats)
Sweet potatos
Yams
Wheat Bread (no, not the enriched type)
Ezekiel Bread
Glutin Free Bread

Good Essential Fatty Acids

Almonds
Avocado (my fav)
Cashews
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Fish Oil

You can google endless more where that came from.. get creative..

Also, try to seperate your pro/carb and pro/fat meals, usually leaving your pro/fat meals for bedtime... Beefs should be eaten closer to bed time and usually falls between the last and second to last meal

PROTIEN SHAKES (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CASIEN SHAKES) SHOULD BE CONSUMED POST WORKOUT ONLY!!!!!! DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF BY REPLACING A MEAL WITH PROTIEN SHAKE, THEY DO 1/8 OF WHAT REAL FOOD WILL DO FOR YOU IN ITS PLACE...

This is my PERSONAL bulking diet, its customized for my needs.. use it as motivation and reference, but do not follow it to the T because we'll customize one for you...

meal1 cal/fat/carb/pro
3 xl whole eggs 249/17.3/1.3/21.9
8 egg whites 137/0.4/1.9/28.8
1 cup oats 311/5.1/54.3/13

meal2 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz chicken breast w/o skin 209/4.5/0/39.4
2 medium sweet potatos 230/0.4/53.5/4.1
1/2 tablespoon olive oil 60/6.8/0/0

meal3 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz turkey breast 370/18.80/49
7oz yams 234/0.3/55.3/3.0
1 tablespoon olive oil 119/13.5/0/0

meal4 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz salmon 331/13.4/0/491
1 cup red kidney beans 330/14.9/36.9/14

pwo cal/fat/carb/pro
whey shake 258/2/0/0/60
2 cup blueberries 165/1/42/2.1

meal 5 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz chicken breast w/o skin 209/4.5/0/39.4
1 tablespoon olive oil 119/13.5/0/0

meal 6 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz london broil 347/14.1/0/51.7
1 whole avocado 277/25.4/14.8/3.5

Daily totals

Calories: 4140 Fat: 157 Carbs: 320 Protien: 379

DONT FORGET UR VEGGIES GUYS.. I AT LEAST HAVE TWO SALADS WITH THIS BULK..
This is my sample cutting diet.. again, the calories are a bit higher because im a bigger guy.. make sure to have one customized for you....

meal1 cal/fat/carb/pro
8 large egg whites 137/0.4/1.9/28.7
2 large whole eggs 167/12.2/1.3/12.3

meal2 cal/fat/carb/pro
6oz chicken breast w/o skin 177/3.8/0/33.2
1 oz (about 22 pieces) almonds 172/15.6/5/6

meal3 cal/fat/carb/pro
1 1/2 medium sweet potato 172/0.3/40.1/3.1

pwo cal/fat/carb/pro
whey shake 258/2/0/60
1 white bagel 270/1.7/53/10.5

meal4 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz turkey breast 379/18.8/0/49

meal5 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz salmon 331/13.4/0/49

meal6 cal/fat/carb/pro
6oz london broil 260/10.6/0/38.8
1/2 avocado 138/12.7/7.4/1.7

also, 3 servings of veggies daily.. the greener they are the better it is... i usually do 2 cups of brocolli.. but its your disgretion
Daily Totals

Calories: 3008 Fat: 107.4 Carbs: 163 Protien: 278.6

You can run a great many types of diets.. low carb, high carb, carb cycle, keto, etc.... there is no ONE right way.. the best thing you can do is pick one and stick to it while paying attention to how your body is reacting to it... some people are carb sensetive, some are not... you'll have to find out yourself

MICROCALIBRATION - Microcalibration is a must for dieting.. usually based upon your goals you will be set either 500 calories above or below your TDEE. This is a starting point and you need to be checking yourself by weight or measurment every week to scale how your body reacts..

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

When you've completed reading all this feel free to post up your diet for critique..

Last edited:
Thanks 3J for the great information all in one place.
I am going to attempt to get the stats you are looking for and get some advice!

Well, I'm ashamed to post this info, but I want to change bad enough, so here goes:

weight: 210
height:6’0”
bf: 28%
goals.. BF=12%
BMR: 1854.57
TDEE: 2874.58
Workout Schedule: Typically workout on this schedule:
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Back, Biceps
Day 5-6: Rest
Repeat
I typically do 30 minutes of cardio 3 times per week on treadmill.

Meals: For the past two weeks, my diet has been as follows: the first week, which had been my norm, is the worst. The second week, I have begun to alter things from information gathered on this site.

Week 1 Meals: generally 3 meals per day:
Meal 1: sausage biscuit
Meal 2: fast food
Meal 3: generally balanced (wife eats healthy, so my dinners have been good)
Night Snack: popcorn and coke
Week 2 Meals:
Meal 1
4 Eggs, ½ cup oatmeal
15 almonds
1 tblsp natty PB

Meal 2
Protein shake
Meal 3
Veggies, chicken or lean beef

Meal 4
Shake – PWO

Meal 5
Veggies, lean protein

Meal 6
Protein shake

I'll work on the macro's today and post as requested.

well.. what has worked for you in the past?? do you consider yourself an endomorph?? are you carb sensetive??

btw you have wayyyy to many shakes in your diet..

there are only two times that shakes are okay

1. pwo
2. casein before bed (but i'd rather go whole foods with some lean beef)

What has worked in the past? To date, there honestly hasn't been a past of clean eating and/or dieting.
Since I have only been eating "clean" for the past week, it may be too early to judge, but it does appear that I am a little carb sensitive. After a meal with 1 cup brown rice and 6 oz. of turkey for example, I feel sluggish. However, I've cut out cokes in the past week as well, so its entirely possible that's the cause.

Looking into casein now, learning a little about it - thank you.

i would say run low carb...

so 150g carbs is what you wanna aim for.. i have to do the math in order to give you the proper split but it should look something like this (anything less then 150g carbs and your liver starts producing glycogen.. so it's pointless unless ur going keto)
your tdee is about 2900 calories, so let's give you a cutting calorie limit of 2500 kcal
150g carbs
250g protien
1600 calories right there..

u need 900 calories more..

so 100g of fats should do it..

finalizing

250g protien
150g carbs
100g fats (make sure to have the most of this as efas)

build a diet around that..

use your carbs PRN... so breakfast, pre-workout, and post-workout only so u can promote carbohydrate tolerance...

and lose all those shakes..

if it's a financial issue, let me know.. there are tricks around it..

you said you do cardio 3x week... why only that??

can you do cardio in the morning before you eat anything?

are you going low intensity, hits, etc? whats your average heart rate at when your doing cardio?

Last edited:
Thanks 3J. I'll use the info above along with the info in the cutting diet you posted to build a diet as prescribed.

The cardio 3x/week I guess came from the "exercise 3x/week motto" :)

However, I can certainly do fasted cardio in the morning, and will begin that 5/6x week (been reading the thread on here about that).

Typically my aver. HR stays arounds 120, which is low for me, so I can also increase that and begin to build up my endurance to maintain it.

Thanks for the great info. I'll be writing this up tonight and beginning tomorrow, and will post progress. This is a great site for building muscle, and that's ultimately my goal, but I feel I need to lose some BF first and get my diet in order. Very motivated!

good to hear bud...

get your hr to about 130 and keep it there in morning cardio sessions. anything higher and you risk catabolism...

also, take the time to post up a finalized diet with macros so we know your on the right path..

Finalized diet, but still tweaking to try to add some variety.
meal1 cal/fat/carb/pro
8 large egg whites 137/0.4/1.9/28.7
2 large whole eggs 167/12.2/1.3/12.3

meal2 cal/fat/carb/pro
1 oz (about 22 pieces) almonds 172/15.6/5/6

meal3 cal/fat/carb/pro
1 medium (6 oz) sweet potato 194/5.5/40/3.3

pwo cal/fat/carb/pro
whey shake with waxy maize 364/3/40/46

meal4 cal/fat/carb/pro
8oz turkey breast 379/18.8/0/49

meal5 cal/fat/carb/pro
5oz tuna 120/1/0/26

meal6 cal/fat/carb/pro
4oz lean ground beef 265/19.3/0/21.1
1 cup spinach 75/4.2/6.8/5.3

Daily Totals

Calories: 2530 Fat: 99.5 Carbs: 149.3 Protien: 277.1

diet looks great..

the only thing i would change is that i would add veggies to at least 3 of the meals you got going on..

also i would replace the waxy maze with fruit... berries in particular...

in adding those veggies and berries your introducing phytonutrients into your diet... this is very very important..

also add a good multi-vitamin.. dont go spendin 40 bucks a month on it.. do u have a trader joes around?

i dont really know the macros-but i can tell you what i ate today. Im currently on a bulking cycle. i started at 219-im up to 251 im like 7 weeks in. im sitting right at 15%%. im 6'3. I wanna be 240-250 or so at 10-12% %. in the spring im going to run a var/prop cutter and will need a good diet then.

today

10am 4 eggs, 4 turkey sausage patties, 2 cups of oatmeal

1pm 2 6oz chicken breasts, whole wheat tortellini pasta-no sauce Buitoni 330 cals a serving 46 gram carb per serving. 2.5 servings

5pm 2 8oz pork chops-another 2.5 serving buitoni, celery and PB-2tsp each stick-2 sticks

7pm pre workout shake 46 gram protein

9pm post w/o shake

10pm 2 6oz cx breast-5 pierogies-green beans, and a salad

midnight snack-2 servings flaxseed cereal skim milk

everything is cooked in olive oil-and i snack on fruit in between-usually banannas.

too loose? too many carbs?

why are shakes so bad? I typically mix 1/2-2/3 cup oats with my protein shake in the morning for breakfast.

i dont really know the macros-but i can tell you what i ate today. Im currently on a bulking cycle. i started at 219-im up to 251 im like 7 weeks in. im sitting right at 15%%. im 6'3. I wanna be 240-250 or so at 10-12% %. in the spring im going to run a var/prop cutter and will need a good diet then.

today

1pm 2 6oz chicken breasts, whole wheat tortellini pasta-no sauce Buitoni 330 cals a serving 46 gram carb per serving. 2.5 servings

5pm 2 8oz pork chops-another 2.5 serving buitoni, celery and PB-2tsp each stick-2 sticks

9pm post w/o shake

everything is cooked in olive oil-and i snack on fruit in between-usually banannas.

jamy, take care of my man newbs!

today

thats alotta carbs for one sitting
tortellini? buitoni?? i guess it's okay, but i would choose better carb sources
omit pork chops.. too much fat.. omit pb.. phytotoxins.. use better fats.. avocado maybe??
add complex carb
9pm post w/o shake
add semi-simple carb.. examples.. white rice, bagel, berries.. etc..
good..
yea omit this for a pro/fat meal.. carbs before bed lower gh release overnight... also, make sure you have beef here.. my fav is london broil/roast beef with a whole avocado, you can get creative..
well, you have to count for everything bud... especially that olive oil and the fruit... fruit causes insulin spikes.. not to say a single apple is bad for you but an apple and a banana are two diff things.. also is the banaa green? yellow? or brown? how many tblspoon of olive oil are you using to cook?

here's something to get you started but i need your bmr/tdee to finalize what your needs are going to be..

also, your gonna have to use fitday.com to get your diet finalized.. we need macros..

macros are the pro/fat/cal/carb of each meal.. it's essential..

me next!

cal/pro/carb/fat

meal 1
5 egg whites
1 oz cheese 193/25.5/2.7/8.2

meal 2
4.5 oz ground turkey
2 cup spinach
1 tbls salsa 312/36.1/3.2/16.7

meal 3
Whole Grain tortilla
1tbls. ANPB 327/14/37/16