Free Diet Advice from 3J

if your trying to hold on to muscle and lose fat at the same time you need to keep your heart level low in your cardio sessions so you dont go catabolic...
ill be posting a beginners cardio taper soon..

i would say you should do pwo nutrition well.. pwo.. when your done with your cardio, eat! have your shake!

hey all, im new to this board but im sure some of you will know me from the other ones...

thought i'd put this out here.. this is my sticky for diet critique..

if you want diet advice, please read through everything and then post up your proposed diet..

Welcome to the boards diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

height
bf
goals.. be specific

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example: (btw these macros are not correct, just an example)

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
1g carb - 4cal
1g fat - 9cal
1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading)

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I should also give you an idea of what dieting should look like... you need to make sure every last calorie you take in isn't an empty calorie... every time you eat you should be eating with a purpose which is to fuel your body for growth and fat loss (predicated on your goals)...

Good meats/protien to eat..

Chicken Breast
Turkey Breast
Eggs/Egg Whites
Bison/Deer Meat
93% and up lean beef (ground beef, roast beef, london broil are just a few examples)
Fish (tuna, salmon, talipa etc..)
Whey (PWO ONLY)
Casien (BEDTIME ONLY)

Good Complex Carbs

Oats (not that instant crap, all natural steel cut/rolled oats)
Sweet potatos
Yams
Wheat Bread (no, not the enriched type)
Ezekiel Bread
Glutin Free Bread

Good Essential Fatty Acids

Almonds
Avocado (my fav)
Cashews
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Fish Oil

You can google endless more where that came from.. get creative..

Also, try to seperate your pro/carb and pro/fat meals, usually leaving your pro/fat meals for bedtime... Beefs should be eaten closer to bed time and usually falls between the last and second to last meal

PROTIEN SHAKES (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CASIEN SHAKES) SHOULD BE CONSUMED POST WORKOUT ONLY!!!!!! DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF BY REPLACING A MEAL WITH PROTIEN SHAKE, THEY DO 1/8 OF WHAT REAL FOOD WILL DO FOR YOU IN ITS PLACE...

Below are links to a great series of diet/nutritional vidoes that will give you a better idea as to what dieting is. Please remember that Milos only gives you a standard diet while we are trying to CUSTOMIZE one with you. This is why we need your BMR/TDEE and MACROS

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt1_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt2_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt3_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt4_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt5_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt6_extreme

You can run a great many types of diets.. low carb, high carb, carb cycle, keto, etc.... there is no ONE right way.. the best thing you can do is pick one and stick to it while paying attention to how your body is reacting to it... some people are carb sensetive, some are not... you'll have to find out yourself

MICROCALIBRATION - Microcalibration is a must for dieting.. usually based upon your goals you will be set either 500 calories above or below your TDEE. This is a starting point and you need to be checking yourself by weight or measurment every week to scale how your body reacts..

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

When you've completed reading all this feel free to post up your diet for critique..

you are one sexy guy bro :). I love it when bros like you take the time to help others out. If I post up the diet I want to do, will you check it for me? my goal is lean mass with some reduction in fat ONLY BY DIETT AND CARDIO

i'd be more then happy to help you bud... that's why this thread is here..

Hey jamy, dont know if you remember me from the other board.. great to see you're here.. you helped me a lot before crafting my diet.. lost about 25lbs so far.. just posted a new thread though.. trying to improve on it, possibly.

Damn I have a shake along with 2-3 of my 6meals a day, I am not fat at 11%bf but I dont seem to gain alot either, and im not skinny at 5'9" 208lbs. My diet is very clean just not measured and scaled like listed above.

Hey jamy, dont know if you remember me from the other board.. great to see you're here.. you helped me a lot before crafting my diet.. lost about 25lbs so far.. just posted a new thread though.. trying to improve on it, possibly.

haha.. wassup brother.. i was doing cardio when i got this message, put a smile on my face!!

CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!

ill check your thread in a sec..

Damn I have a shake along with 2-3 of my 6meals a day, I am not fat at 11%bf but I dont seem to gain alot either, and im not skinny at 5'9" 208lbs. My diet is very clean just not measured and scaled like listed above.

that's how i work... some people have it figured out for themselves through trial and error.. i use formulas to help those who dont...

1) Water to detoxify.
2) 5 meals a must.
3) Know your hunger pangs.
4) Eat light at night.
5) Relish the favorite little by little.
6) Light meals all through.
7) Proteins a must.
8) Spice it up.
9) Take Frozen Food .
10) Be determined and enjoy your workout.

I drink a bit of smoothie drinks, made up of grapes, bananas, orange, berries, etc you know the deal. One class (250ml) contains about 50gr of carbs mostly natural sugar. Should I stay away from these or do they not count towards your total daily carb intake.

What is your take on smoothies and fruit sugar?

I drink a bit of smoothie drinks, made up of grapes, bananas, orange, berries, etc you know the deal. One class (250ml) contains about 50gr of carbs mostly natural sugar. Should I stay away from these or do they not count towards your total daily carb intake.

What is your take on smoothies and fruit sugar?

that's predicated on your goals..

This is a GREAT thread. Really enjoy the reading.

I lost 190 pounds back when Muscle And Fitness was the absolute bible; I can only imagine how much better/easier it would have been had this forum and helpful peeps like 3J been available.

For what it's worth, I'm carb sensitive with a family history of diabetes and I have very good luck with the anabolic diet as a sustainable eating plan for the long term.

Wow, great tread man, well here it goes, all that stuff you want to know I have no idea about, I'm hoping you can use me as an experiment, I am not new to the world of bodybuilding but been out of it off and on for a few years and it has really caught up with me. Here are my stats:
Age = 37
hieght = 5' 6"
wieght = 285 lbs
Waist = 44 "

My goal is to lose 40 lbs by June 2010 which sould be attainable? maybe not in your opinion but I have done it before, but much younger, I will post a pic so you know what you are working with. As far as my diet goes it is not good right now, so you will have to start me from scratch! yes I have been eatting a lot of carbs and I do well on a low carb diet but I would like to reap yourservices to get and keep me motivated!

If I need to do all the info for you, just let me know and it wil be done. I hope you can help me with my transformation and I look forward to your response.
Thanks,
Ridgeback.

^^ ur a big mofo.. your almost a foot shorter then me and weight just about the same.. and i cant say thats ALL bodyfat.. you look to have a build under there.. which is a good thing..

u look to be sitting at about 38% to me... go back to the begining of this thread, i teach you how to get your bmr/tdee when you have a bf estimate.. get back to me with it.. we'll start from there..

Hello there :)

I'm hoping you can help me out with my diet plan? I'm having trouble figuring out what and how much to get into me before I start workin out. I've never done heavy weight lifting before, so never was too heavy or had tons of muscle, but was really toned and solid as I used to do Muay Thai.

As far as my eating habits go now days, I eat 3 meals per day.
morning I eat some country store with some berries and a banana, lunch time I eat some pasta (carbonnara, bolognese......) and for dinner usually potatoes with chicken or beef and veg. and in between I usually eat some bread with pate, cheese, fish. Not quite sue how much of these I'm eating in weight, but I'm sure it's too much. Here are my stats :)

my RMR is : 2038.45

Weight is : 94.6kg

BF : 25.5%

Height : 184cm.

I'm about to start the Stronglifts 5X5 workout.

as far as my goals go, I would eventually like to be about the same weight I am now but at 12-14% BF :)

I'm not quite sure how to set my diet up and would greatly appreciate some help with this. I have no problem eating anything at anytime as much as needed. Just need some help working out what to eat as far as calories and proteins are concerned.

Thanks in advance :)

Great thread by the way :)

Last edited:
Hello there :)

I'm hoping you can help me out with my diet plan? I'm having trouble figuring out what and how much to get into me before I start workin out. I've never done heavy weight lifting before, so never was too heavy or had tons of muscle, but was really toned and solid as I used to do Muay Thai.

As far as my eating habits go now days, I eat 3 meals per day.
morning I eat some country store with some berries and a banana, lunch time I eat some pasta (carbonnara, bolognese......) and for dinner usually potatoes with chicken or beef and veg. and in between I usually eat some bread with pate, cheese, fish. Not quite sue how much of these I'm eating in weight, but I'm sure it's too much. Here are my stats :)

my RMR is : 2038.45
i have it at 1892.3.. did you remember to remove bf from your total weight??

Weight is : 94.6kg

BF : 25.5%

Height : 184cm.
in feet and inches??
I'm about to start the Stronglifts 5X5 workout.
your gonna have to explain that one to me...
as far as my goals go, I would eventually like to be about the same weight I am now but at 12-14% BF :)

I'm not quite sure how to set my diet up and would greatly appreciate some help with this. I have no problem eating anything at anytime as much as needed. Just need some help working out what to eat as far as calories and proteins are concerned.

Thanks in advance :)

Great thread by the way :)

give me a solid view of your training sessions including cardio...

do you still do muai thai??

on a side note: please dont hijack other peoples threads.. u should have just posted here in the first place... this was the right things to do...

nevertheless, we'll get you set up.. just get that info to me

cheers mate :)

Must of made a mistake with my RMR.

here's a link to the stronglift 5X5 workout spreadsheet. It's a 12 week program, but not strictly, will be doing it for about 24 and then move onto something a bit more strenuous.

StrongLifts 5×5 Beginner Strength Training Program | StrongLifts.com

It's down the bottom of the page to download.

Cardio, 30 mins running, 4X per week.

Unfortunately I don't do muay thai any more, wouldn't mind, but there's nowhere in a 100 mile radius of where I'm livin that has a muay thai gym.

My height in feet is 6f 0"

Cheers man :)

Info:
Age - 25
Weight - 201(as of today)
Height - 6'1
BF - 15.1% (3-pt jackson-pollock computer calipered back in December @ 209lbs)
Goals - continue to reduce BF, I have a good bit of loose skin left over from my 23 yearbulk(I was 300lbs Jan '08)
BMR - (using 209 body weight @ 15.1% BF) - 2108
TDEE - (using 1.725) - 3638

Diet:
2400-2500 cals/day @ 150-180g protein, carbs cycled, cals consistent
PWO Meals actually differ; I always eat 2 bananas and 1 whey isolate shake ~350 cals total

Carb Meal:
1 serving whole grains - 120-200 cals
1 serving lean protein - 100-120 cals
1 serving fruit or veggie - 20-100 cals
1/2 serving healthy fat - 65-100 cals

No Carb Meal:
1.5 servings healthy fat - 200-250 cals
1 serving lean protein - 100-120 cals
1 serving dark green veggie - 5-25 cals

Lifting Style:
10min Warm Up Cardio
10min Dynamic Stretching
50-60min Lifting in the AM
10min Static Stretching
LISS/HIIT Cardio later in day

6-8 exercises per day
3x5 sets x reps(may change to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy or FST-7)
20 deep breaths between sets
3-4 minutes between exercises

Current Supplements
GHenerate
Creatine Mono
Multi-V
Fish Oil(enough for 1g DHA)
No NO, Caffeine, Yohimbe, Beta Alanine, Taurine, Carnosine, etc etc...just don't feel they're needed nor have an effect

The Week:
Monday - Legs, No Cardio, 5-6 carb meals
Tuesday - Chest, Cardio, 3 carb meals, 2-3 no carb meals
Wednesday - Back, No Cardio, 2 carb meals, 3-4 no carb meals
Thursday - Rest, Cardio, 5-6 no carb meals
Friday - Traps/Shoulders, No Cardio, 3 carb meals, 2-3 no carb meals
Saturday - Arms, Cardio, 2 carb meals, 3-4 no carb meals
Sunday - Rest, Cardio Optional, 5-6 no carb meals

Ex: Today's Workout
Traps/Shoulders

10min Warm Up Cardio
10min Dynamic Stretching

3x5x175 Power Cleans
3x10x405 Shrugs
3x5x115 Power Snatches
3x10x70 Face Pulls

3x5x145 Jerks
3x10x100 Rear Delt Machine Flies
3x5x55 Front EZ-Bar Raises on a Bosu
3x10x15 Lateral DB Raises on a Bosu

2x10 Hanging Leg Pikes
2x20 Bosu Crunches
10min Static Stretching

Was thinking about going on a cutting PH cycle, do you know much info on cutting compounds? If so, I've got a plan I'd love to bounce off you.

Thanks in advance!

Back