FSH & LH levels = 0

DUANABOL

Hey bros, I'm on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and my latest blood test revealed normal levels of testosterone but my LH & FSH were "0"...Is there anything that I can take to get these hormones back up, seems like they are asleep. I'm thinking that Clomid could possibly help, any input appreciated.

40 years old and taking normal dose of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), concerned b/c trying to get wife pregnant!

hi, the "LH" is a luteinizing hormone that responsible to produce the test in your testis cell. the normal value is between 0.80-7.60.
follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is responsible to produce spermatozoon in your testis. the normal value is 0.70-11.10.
if your LH/FSH is absolute zero so you have a problem on your hypothalmus.
according to your blood test your now infertile, it can be temporary so dont panic.
H.C.G should help you to get a normal results.

I havent been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) but i've been using Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) over the past few years and my semen analysis came back at basically zero and i'm only 27. After looking back, I believe it was the Deca I had used 2 months earlier. I began taking Clomid at 50mg ED for 2 months with some Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) at 500iu's 2-3 times weekly, and my count came back up to 36 million.

If I were you, i would go to a Urologist and have a Semen Analysis done. If your sperm count is abnormally low, they will more than likely take you off the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and place you on Clomid and possibly Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) until conception occurs.

You could come off the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) on your own and begin taking Clomid at 25-50mg/day, but I suggest going to the Urologist so you can monitor your progress. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Also, here is a good fertility supplement they recommended for me...

http://www.fertilityblend.com/

Why couldn't I continue with the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and take the clomid at the same time?

DUANABOL said:
Why couldn't I continue with the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and take the clomid at the same time?

Well, i'm not a doc so I can't give an educated answer. But I will tell you that's what the two doctors i've seen would do since Test is suppressive and can affect the hormone production at the Pituitary gland which directly affect sperm production (I think i'm correct here). My Test, prolactin, LH, and FSH were all out of wack.

Some docs may have a different approach, though.

DUANABOL said:
Hey bros, I'm on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and my latest blood test revealed normal levels of testosterone but my LH & FSH were "0"...Is there anything that I can take to get these hormones back up, seems like they are asleep. I'm thinking that Clomid could possibly help, any input appreciated.

40 years old and taking normal dose of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), concerned b/c trying to get wife pregnant!

how were your other hormones. a zero reading is extremely uncommon.

you will likely need Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) and HMG in order to produce significant sperm for impregnation.

exception, a zero reading may be an error OR it may be due to isoforms that are non reactive.

have you had a sperm count done?

btw- you should have no issue getting Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) and HMG prescribed if you have low or zero sperm count.

Reply to Macro

I first went to a fertility place at a major hospital and had a semen analysis. The results were zero sperm. My urologist saw the results and then set me up for a complete blood test. The results showed testosterone at 566 and LH & FSH at "0"...she couldn't believe it. She said that she had never seen these hormones at 0 in all her years of practicing medicine. She said that she's read about it and it is very rare, like 1 in a million.

Last edited:
I would be interested in knowing if you have done prior tests on LH and FSH, and if so, what the outcome on those was.

you should get your other pituitary hormones checked because a zero reading (if accurate) indicates partial pituitary failure. there are genetic disorders that cause complete cessation of gonadotropins as well.

Add hCG. If that doesn't work, add HMG.

I'd be interesting in seeing a copy of bloodwork that literally says zero for LH and FSH. < 1 is one thing, 0 is another.

Thoms said:
I would be interested in knowing if you have done prior tests on LH and FSH, and if so, what the outcome on those was.

I have a bloodwork report from 4/2/07 which gives results of LH = 1.7 mlU/mL and FSH = 1.5 mlU/mL

have you been taking any progestins (nandrolone, tren, oral "prosteroid/designer steroids)

Yes, I've taken Deca-Durabolin and Durabolin in the past. I'm very aware of how these AAS's can shut one down, but it was about 3 years ago that I used them.

Fertility drugs for men

Clomiphene (taken daily as a pill) prompts the pituitary gland to make luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, which tell the testicles to produce testosterone and possibly more sperm. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) (injected two to three times a week, sometimes with hMG) prompts the testes to produce testosterone and sperm directly.

Knowing the above info, couldn't I try Clomid by itself first? Then if it doesn't work, go the Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) and HMG route?

TRT will shut down LH and FSH adding clomid is in my opinion asking for trouble why do you need the LH and FSH?

When I say this I mean why do you need the numbers when you are on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) go by the other suggestions and use Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) and HMG people tolerate them much better without the sides of clomid. They will produce functioning testes but will still keep LH and FSH levels at nil which is why I ask if there is another reason you want to see these numbers up.

Last edited:
macro said:
how were your other hormones. a zero reading is extremely uncommon.

mranak said:
Add hCG. If that doesn't work, add HMG.

I'd be interesting in seeing a copy of bloodwork that literally says zero for LH and FSH. < 1 is one thing, 0 is another.

My last results were 0.1 and 0.2 for FSH and LH respectively on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with hcg.

DUANABOL said:
Clomiphene (taken daily as a pill) prompts the pituitary gland to make luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, which tell the testicles to produce testosterone and possibly more sperm. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) (injected two to three times a week, sometimes with hMG) prompts the testes to produce testosterone and sperm directly.

Knowing the above info, couldn't I try Clomid by itself first? Then if it doesn't work, go the Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) and HMG route?

Yes, I would go ahead and start the Clomid.

One option is to discontinue the testosterone and start up the clomid. This will effectively be testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) using clomid.

Back