Ginger root...anyone take this??

Hey Mister

Supposedly ginger helps absorb more protein and reduces gas, which I have lots of.

Do you guys really find that ginger root is worth it, especially with respect to reducing gas? A difficult one to answer, but do you find that is also helps you absorb more protein?

Thanks bros!

I use it all the time, I used to have really bad gas too, on the leg press forget about it, i would drop protein bombs all day long.

I found since i've taken it my gas has gone down considerably, I know its supposed to help with protein absorbtion but i cant really testify to that.

I just buy ginger root from the market, cheap, and is effective.

I use it and it definately helps reduce gas, I can't say from my own experience whether it increases protein abosorbtion, but then who really could?

It has proteases in it (1) which turn your cheap whey into smaller peptides (like hydrolyzed whey). People say you absorb smaller peptides better and therefore don't feed the bacteria that cause gas.

I've got a bottle I'm going to finish and then I'm not going to buy it again because it's also a COX inhibitor (2) and they have been shown to reduce postexercise protein synthesis. (3)

1. Eur J Biochem 2000 Mar;267(5):1516-26

Amino-acid sequence and glycan structures of cysteine proteases with proline specificity from ginger rhizome Zingiber officinale.

2. Bioorg Chem 2001 Jun;29(3):156-63

Effect of ginger constituents and synthetic analogues on cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme in intact cells.

3. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002 Mar;282(3):E551-6

Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis.

I just take it because it allows me to digest my food faster so I don't feel full and bloated all the time. That way I can eat more when bulking :D. oh well, I never thought it would reduce gas. I guess I'll try that next time.

Back