Glutamine

Dr. Colgan states glutamine ( high dosages ) can saturate one's system with ammonia. Recently he moderate his position a bit but only adding that AKG ( ketoglutaric acid ) should be added to glutamine to scavenge ammonia.

bizup69 said:
so if glutimine is such a waste then why is it so expensive and why do so many people take it?

Why is it so expensive? No idea. Why do people waste money on it? Theyre uninformed and believe supplement hype that supplement companies dish out.

everyone is different, i say judge for yourself whether or not glutamine is useful for you.... i would never give it up, no matter what scientific 'proof' there is that it doesnt work, and no matter what board 'experts' say

Im no expert and dont claim to be, but then again, its your money, not mine.

dude, didnt mean that to be a dis to you whatsoever, all my point was that people should judge for themselves, which is my philosophy on EVERYTHING in life... no insult intended bro

ham said:
Dr. Colgan states glutamine ( high dosages ) can saturate one's system with ammonia. Recently he moderate his position a bit but only adding that AKG ( ketoglutaric acid ) should be added to glutamine to scavenge ammonia.

I remembered reading that a while back somewhere. Do you have a link?

Awe Dito got here late for the argument.:sad:

Here is pretty much final words I had with a debate with JB on GM. Full thread is found here: http://gaining-mass.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=1075&st=15

Sorry but argument by intimidation does not work on me. It could be many things yes placebo could be one. But being open minded and really thinking about it there can be other possible things. 1. Perhaps you are lacking in your diet somewhere? 2. If I remember correctly most glutamine is made in the lower intestine. So perhaps your body is not manufacturing enough glutamine. Meaning when you do exercise you are infact glutamine defficient thus supplemental glutamine would aid you. Even if it doesnt get past the gut.

The Ultimate Nutrient: Glutamine/the Essential Nonessential Amino Acid
by Judy Shabert, Nancy Ehrlich (Contributor), 1994.

this book wasn't a supplement ploy, yet it related glutamine to many positive effects, including anti-stress, liver friendly, anti-catabolic.
I think we must take things with a grain of salt or two....
If we look at hyped, over priced supplements & outrageous claims like " increase GH 400% ", then that's rubbish.
If we buy fairly priced glutamine hoping to get muscle/liver/anabolic friendly benefits, then we're right.
A few grams are enough, not to trigger the ammonia response.
If we hope to raise GH 400%, triple protein synthesis etc, then perhaps not even Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) can do that.

Unfortunately i don't.
it was written on some newletter/booklet published years back i got stuffed in my cellar.
Recently on another board the owner said to have prompted dr.Colgan about it, which got the quoted reply back.

Last edited:
i dunno, its seems very possible for people to be taking something that is worthless but but why did companies even start making it if it had no real value for people?

Wait.....supplement companies didnt "make" glutamine, its a naturally occuring amino acid, they only put it in a powder form and bottle and it and overprice it. And youre saying supplement companies only make supplements that work? Theyd never put out anything they knew or wasnt sure wouldnt produce as advertised results? Ha, ever heard of Muscle Tech?

Back