gonna buy some supplies

zephyr_987

hey bros, so im gonna order some supplies in the next day or so... does this look about right?

-16 oz grape seed oil
-scale w/100 g calibration weight
-2 containers bb
-1 container ba
-2 sealed sterile vials 50 ML
-1 pack 18g needles
-1 (10pack) 20cc syringes
- 2-3 Whatman Sterile Syringe Filters .20u
- additional titan filters 20u, as backups
-Graduated Beaker Set 50,100,250,600 and 1000ml glass, with glass stir rod

just one question about filters. our sponsor on here sells whatman filters at different prices. they seem to be the same thing but one is Whatman Sterile Syringe Filter .20u for 4.96 each and the other is Whatman Syringe Filter - .20um for 2.99 a piece. is there a big difference?

anyway i am open to any advise. would i be g2g with all this or should i grab a few other things? thanks bros!

Hi Zephyr

I'd 86 the whatman syringe filters and go with bottle top filters and a hand pump. I've never used the syringe filters but after reading about them they sound like a pain in the neck (or thumbs - lol). Get this instead:

150ml Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter with a 33mm neck
125ml Wheaton Standard Glass Media Bottle with a 33mm neck
33mm cap with attached silicone septa
a Mityvac Vacuum Pump to pump the oil through the filter

Some things I'd add to your list would be:
25 gauge 1/2" needle for your vent needle for the 50cc bottle
individually packaged alcohol wipes (200 per box and are really convenient)

Also maybe think about 10cc or 20cc sterile sealed vials for finished product. 50cc is a big bottle. Say you make TestE at 250 mg/ml and run a cycle of 500mg a week for 12 weeks. You would shoot 1cc on Mon and 1cc on Thurs. That means you have to pierce that stopper 50 times to empty it. Not to mention that would be 2 cycles worth, so the 2nd cycle could be months down the road and a foriegn object has been in and out of your oil 25 times by then. I'd rather use a virgin bottle for my second cycle or even the 2nd half of my first cycle.

When I ordered all my supplies I over ordered a few things. I ordered 4 graduated beakers (2 150's and 2 250's ). I realized I only need one. If you're going to do 100 ml at a time just get one 150 ml graduated cylinder. I also ordered 4 receiver bottles (125ml Wheaton Standard Glass Media Bottles). Again I really only needed one as the can be washed and sterilized and reused. I also ordered 6 33mm caps with attached silicone septa. Same thing there, one or two would have been fine. I also ordered 4 whatman syringe filters in case I had issues with the bottle top filters and the hand pump. But that process went smooth as could be.

I think you're on the right track. I wrestled for months looking at gear sites to try and I just couldn't pick one. It's really a crap shoot. After making my own gear - home brewing was the best thing I ever did. Assuming you trust your raws you'll have sterile accurate dosed gear. And enough to do several proper cycles. So many more variables are in your control with home brewing.

I've only made one batch so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good Luck
Shaq

hey bros, so im gonna order some supplies in the next day or so... does this look about right?

-16 oz grape seed oil
-2 containers bb
-1 container ba
-1 pack 18g needles

just one question about filters. our sponsor on here sells whatman filters at different prices. they seem to be the same thing but one is Whatman Sterile Syringe Filter .20u for 4.96 each and the other is Whatman Syringe Filter - .20um for 2.99 a piece. is there a big difference?

anyway i am open to any advise. would i be g2g with all this or should i grab a few other things? thanks bros!

List looks good. Ive often thought of making my own and have done lots of research, but havent given up online as of yet. Would like to correspond with you if possible as you go. If thats cool, please PM me.

Best of luck.

Hi Zephyr

I'd 86 the whatman syringe filters and go with bottle top filters and a hand pump. I've never used the syringe filters but after reading about them they sound like a pain in the neck (or thumbs - lol). Get this instead:

150ml Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter with a 33mm neck
125ml Wheaton Standard Glass Media Bottle with a 33mm neck
33mm cap with attached silicone septa
a Mityvac Vacuum Pump to pump the oil through the filter

Some things I'd add to your list would be:
25 gauge 1/2" needle for your vent needle for the 50cc bottle
individually packaged alcohol wipes (200 per box and are really convenient)

Also maybe think about 10cc or 20cc sterile sealed vials for finished product. 50cc is a big bottle. Say you make TestE at 250 mg/ml and run a cycle of 500mg a week for 12 weeks. You would shoot 1cc on Mon and 1cc on Thurs. That means you have to pierce that stopper 50 times to empty it. Not to mention that would be 2 cycles worth, so the 2nd cycle could be months down the road and a foriegn object has been in and out of your oil 25 times by then. I'd rather use a virgin bottle for my second cycle or even the 2nd half of my first cycle.

When I ordered all my supplies I over ordered a few things. I ordered 4 graduated beakers (2 150's and 2 250's ). I realized I only need one. If you're going to do 100 ml at a time just get one 150 ml graduated cylinder. I also ordered 4 receiver bottles (125ml Wheaton Standard Glass Media Bottles). Again I really only needed one as the can be washed and sterilized and reused. I also ordered 6 33mm caps with attached silicone septa. Same thing there, one or two would have been fine. I also ordered 4 whatman syringe filters in case I had issues with the bottle top filters and the hand pump. But that process went smooth as could be.

I think you're on the right track. I wrestled for months looking at gear sites to try and I just couldn't pick one. It's really a crap shoot. After making my own gear - home brewing was the best thing I ever did. Assuming you trust your raws you'll have sterile accurate dosed gear. And enough to do several proper cycles. So many more variables are in your control with home brewing.

I've only made one batch so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good Luck
Shaq

hey shaq, thanks for your reply. yea after getting burned by customs so many times ive realized that home brew was the way to go... because ill have enough for a few cycles. but about the needles, i was buying the 18g needles for vents & filtering, but you used 25g only as vents? do u think 18g is too thick for venting? but yes i definately need some alcohol swabs for sterilizing the stoppers and everything... and it does make sense to buy some smaller vials. as for filtering i will definately think about using the handpump. syringe filter sounds long and like a pain in the thumb. thanks again for the help bro!!

anyone else wanna weigh in on this please???

List looks good. Ive often thought of making my own and have done lots of research, but havent given up online as of yet. Would like to correspond with you if possible as you go. If thats cool, please PM me.

Best of luck.

i too have tried to do as much research as i can... we'll see if i learned anything as soon as i try haha

in regards to the filters, get the sterile filters. The others are unsterile and really no point in using them if you want a sterile product.

Syringe filters work just fine depending on how much your brewing. If you doing smaller batches, like 30ml or so, syringe will for fine. If you doing larger, use pump and cup filters.

-16 oz grape seed oil
-2 containers bb
-1 container ba
-1 pack 18g needles

Hey bro, Where do you go shopping for you lab supplies?

Agreed. From my shopping around online most laboratory supply places will save you a lot over those smaller "stores". Its easy to get hung up on the first place you see but keep looking, there are many deals to be had online.

Just another question here. Does anyone know how much those Nalgenes Filter before they should be tossed. I read a post that said you should only use about 1/2 as many ml as the size (ex: 125ml for 250ml, or 500ml for a 1000ml Bottle Top Filter).

I haven't had any problems & finished doing a conversion. I have multiple ones & ran about what was sugggested above and it didn't bust.

The most time consuming thing has been transfering the media from the media bottle into the sealed vials.

Anyways, Thankyou!

Just another question here. Does anyone know how much those Nalgenes Filter before they should be tossed. I read a post that said you should only use about 1/2 as many ml as the size (ex: 125ml for 250ml, or 500ml for a 1000ml Bottle Top Filters

Each one of those filters can filter 1000ml

I wish one of the more expierenced home brewers would just make a (wish list) supply list and make it a sticky. I"ve been reading alot on the supply list and everyone have the same basics...But almost every person have needed to make changes to there list for the next supply run. If there was one master fool proof list a lot of problems would be solved.

Back