HBO's Real Sports - Argues Our side of the Steroid Issue

Friedmoney

Did anyone else see Real Sports on HBO tonight? They had a segment on Steroids. I thought it would be more regurgitated BS as usual, but it wasn't. It's the first time I've ever seen the media actually argue the other side of the issue saying there is no scientific evidence concerning the dangers of steroid use in healthy adult males. I almost fell out of my chair. Finally someone actually did some real reporting on this issue.

I'm sure they will rerun it all this week. If you get a chance check it out. Here's more info:

HBO Real Sports is airing a segment this month entitled "The Contrarian View" about anabolic steroids. Armen Keteyian, who has been reporting on illegal substances in sports for the past five years, investigates the belief held by some scientists that steroids, when properly administered, cause no harm in mature adult males (the segment emphasizes that the serious risks to teens and women are higher). The proposition seems like heresy in the current atmosphere of national steroid hysteria, but HBO concludes that the scientific evidence against enlightened steroid use by adult men is sorely lacking. The persistent myth that steroids killed Lyle Alzado is properly debunked, and anti-steroid authority Dr. Gary Wadler seems flustered when pressed for proof to support his claims that steroid use by mature adults is "Russian Roulette." Given the many millions of users spanning nearly five decades, the fact that an exhaustive review could turn up only twelve deaths purportedly linked to steroids (and some of these are reportedly very questionable) suggests that the risks are much less than for some accepted cosmetic surgery procedures. Keteyan ends the piece with a surprising apology for helping to spread unfounded information in his previous stories on the subject.

Last edited:
Here's the schedule for the show:

Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO High Definition - EAST
Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO - EAST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO - WEST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO - EAST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO High Definition - WEST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO - WEST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO - EAST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO - WEST
Sun 6/26 02:00 PM HBO2 - EAST
Sun 6/26 05:00 PM HBO2 - WEST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO - EAST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO High Definition - WEST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO - WEST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO High Definition - EAST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO - EAST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO - WEST

Friedmoney said:
Here's the schedule for the show:

Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO High Definition - EAST
Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
Thu 6/23 01:00 PM HBO - EAST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Thu 6/23 04:00 PM HBO - WEST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Fri 6/24 01:00 AM HBO - EAST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO High Definition - WEST
Fri 6/24 04:00 AM HBO - WEST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO - EAST
Sat 6/25 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Sat 6/25 01:00 PM HBO - WEST
Sun 6/26 02:00 PM HBO2 - EAST
Sun 6/26 05:00 PM HBO2 - WEST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
Mon 6/27 07:00 AM HBO - EAST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO High Definition - WEST
Mon 6/27 10:00 AM HBO - WEST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO High Definition - EAST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO - EAST
Mon 6/27 05:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST
Mon 6/27 08:00 PM HBO - WEST
TV guide an all:D

JohnnyB

Nice. Hopefully stuff like this makes it on to network TV eventually. But I doubt it.

i saw it and it was unbiased and real.... maybe the first time i ever saw the truth being networked, everyone here should check it out...it was on hbo last nite with bryant gumble

There is no actual scientific evidence that cell phones cause brain tumors either, so I guess they dont.

You know what buddy? Who cares! Bodybuilders do what they gotta do, and thats that!!!!!! We know its not healthy even without the "scientific evidence". Oh, and who cares.

Juice J said:
There is no actual scientific evidence that cell phones cause brain tumors either, so I guess they dont.

You know what buddy? Who cares! Bodybuilders do what they gotta do, and thats that!!!!!! We know its not healthy even without the "scientific evidence". Oh, and who cares.

Well maybe you don't care, but all the negative media attention and biased reporting influences people and politicians. This is the reason steroids became Schedule III drugs in the first place. Now you have to worry about getting busted just for building a huge ripped physique with chemical enhancement. If doctors, politicians and the media are going to make steriods out to be worse than mainlining Drano, maybe - just maybe they should have some scientific evidence to back it up. Sure naive steroid abuse can destroy your body, but there are ways to use them safely as well. It's just nice to see someone in the media recognize that there is more than one side to the story. Public opinion matters whether you think it does or not.

Friedmoney said:
Well maybe you don't care, but all the negative media attention and biased reporting influences people and politicians. This is the reason steroids became Schedule III drugs in the first place. Now you have to worry about getting busted just for building a huge ripped physique with chemical enhancement. If doctors, politicians and the media are going to make steriods out to be worse than mainlining Drano, maybe - just maybe they should have some scientific evidence to back it up. Sure naive steroid abuse can destroy your body, but there are ways to use them safely as well. It's just nice to see someone in the media recognize that there is more than one side to the story. Public opinion matters whether you think it does or not.

Im big.
:insane2:

i agree...

Friedmoney said:

You're right on the money. Look at what public opinion has done for marijuana? It's still illegal but it's use is widely accepted throughout society. There's very little stigma attached to its use - as long as one isn't a total pothead. It's also true that politicians make laws concerning things which they know nothing about. They have these panels on steroids where they invite a bunch of parents who blame steroids for their kids killing themselves, or getting in a car accident and dying. And, partly because of the social stigma that comes with steroids, there's no one to present the other side.

I saw this special today.... I loved when the Activist against Anabolics was interviewed.... you could tell that he had nothing to back his case and all of his responses were emotional and not rational... Great Job HBO... It's about time!

steel59 said:
I saw this special today.... I loved when the Activist against Anabolics was interviewed.... you could tell that he had nothing to back his case and all of his responses were emotional and not rational... Great Job HBO... It's about time!

such is the case for almost every stupid rule or law.

Saw it today, pretty informative. I love how they mentioned that Lyle's own doctor said that steroids had nothing to do with his death, yet politicians and activists continue to throw his name around. Also interesting on how the AMA, FDA, and DEA all opposed making steroids illegal in the first place.

bleachcola said:
Saw it today, pretty informative. I love how they mentioned that Lyle's own doctor said that steroids had nothing to do with his death, yet politicians and activists continue to throw his name around. Also interesting on how the AMA, FDA, and DEA all opposed making steroids illegal in the first place.

now that i did not know ( the bunch who didnt want it made illegal).

Good Point.

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 was passed contrary to the testimony of the DEA, FDA, NIDA and AMA, all of which sent representatives to testify against scheduling steroids.

This is something everyone should know. It just goes to show that there is no medical reasoning for the scheduling of steroids. Otherwise they would have listened to the recommendations of the AMA and FDA. Surely congress doesn't think it knows medicine better than those organizations. The real reason they became scheduled was because politicians were upset about the use of steroids in sports which they considered cheating. (This all happened in the aftermath of Ben Johnson getting caught using steroids after he beat Carl Lewis in the Olympics). It seems to me that if the reason for the law is to stop cheating in sports, then only people who play competitive sports and are caught using steroids should be busted. Who is the guy getting buff in the gym cheating against? Not only is this law imprudent to begin with, but it doesn't even accomplish its objective. I don't see any competitive athletes going to jail over steroids, just the unlucky bodybuilders seeking a better physique.

The solution to all of this is to create the First Church of Juice. Federal law protects the harvest, possession and use of peyote for the Native American Church because it's part of a "bonafide religious ceremony." :druggie: Some religions sprinkle water on the head, this one will inject testosterone in the glute. I'm just waiting to get struck by lightning after that one . . .
:bowdown:

Back