Help with blood sugar reading

darkwing86

Hey guys , had a question for some of you guys who test blood sugars and have a good understanding of them more over time . I eat alot in a day . i can only imagine 5000cals maybe . im about 210-215lb . I eat alot of carbs in a day . alot . and many are simple . Ive been doing this for years . My question is , i havent trained yet today , i just went for lunch and had a chicken breast with rice (white) , a garlic loaf (white bread) small bun on the dish (white) and a glass and a half of pepsi .
I just checked my blood sugar 20 mins after the meal and am reading 4.7 . What do you guys think of this ?
is this normal ? do you think that over time ive gained a bit of resistance to carbs that they dont spike my blood sugar as much due to how many of them i eat ?

Assuming mmol/L, just multiply by 18.18 to convert to mg/dL. 4.7*18.18=85.45mg/dL.

That's pretty good, but not accurate as you haven't had a chance to allow the complex carbs to hit yet. Fasting numbers are also a really good number to know. Check about two hours after a meal with complex carbs for post-prandial glucose. :)

yah sorry guys i should have specified better . It 4.7 mmol/L . So im guessing if i were to test now id assume that they would have raised a bit ?

yah sorry guys i should have specified better . It 4.7 mmol/L . So im guessing if i were to test now id assume that they would have raised a bit ?

Usually, yes. However, you're still in the very healthy category by a large margin. This is why I always go against the grain when it comes to insulin use, and recommend complex carbs with simple - even fast acting lasts for a couple hours. As you've seen, the Pepsi (simple sugars) already left your system, and the complex should pick up over the next two hours or so.

Another good test to run is to do it after you get home from the gym. My situation is different as I'm a diabetic, but I've had to learn how to tweak things so I don't go hyperglycemic by taking too little, but also to avoid hypoglycemia by taking too much insulin. You just have to worry about the latter. :)

Back