Help with my hormone results, is my endo ignorant?

equel

Hello there, 27M here.

April last year, I contacted my family doctor cause of low/no libido, very little motivation, no drive and very low libido, I wanted to check my testosterone levels.

We did so, it came back: 9.1nmol (ref range 8.6-35nmol).

He said that I was in reference range so it was no problem, I asked him to be sent to a endocrinologist to be sure, he sent me there.

Some months later, I did blood work for the first meeting with my endocrinologist, It came back:

Testosterone: 5nmol (ref 8.6 - 35nmol)
LH: 6.0 (ref 1.0-10)
FSH: 2.0 (ref 1.0-9)
SHBG: 19nmol (10-50)
Prolactin: 528miu/L (i think)

At the meeting with my endo, I explained my low libido, I couldnt have sex, I had very little energy and my self confidence was down.

She asked me to take my shirt off to check out my muscle mass, I did and she said I had alot of muscle mass so It was weird how my testosterone could be low. I explained that I had been working out for like 10 years, three workouts every week.

She seemed sceptical, but she said she wanted to do a MRI on my hpta cause my prolactin was high, so I had to wait some months for my MRI.

I waited three months, then I did my MRI. Two weeks after I did another blood test checking the hormones yet again.

Today after many months, my endo call me and say, MRI didnt show no tumours, so that was good. My testosterone remained low, this time:

Testosterone: 6.0 (8.6-35nmol)
LH: 6.0 (1.0-10)
FSH: 2.0 (1.0-9)
Prolactin: 280miU/L
SHBG: 20nmol (10-50)

Then she tells me: "Lets be honest now, I do believe you use steroids to push your testosterone down before the blood tests, to get testosterone replacement therapy", I told her I absolutely did not. She told me that I had too much muscle mass to be testosterone deficient and that was very very weird and shouldnt happen.

I told her I built all my muscle mass several years ago when I felt fine, and now I dont build any muscle no more, only maintain. (My muscle mass isnt really super good, I mean I can bench 200lbs for 1 rep).

She told me she didnt believe me and that I probably cheated to get testosterone replacement therapy, but then she told me she could sent me to YET ANOTHER endocrinologist, and that I had to wait for another appointment.

Can anyone make any sense of this? I mean, I know for sure I have never taken any steroids, but Ive read you can have low T yet a decent muscle mass. The problem for me isnt really my body, its that I have no mental strenght no more, like semi-depressed, no libido, cant almost get a boner and I feel no drive for nothing.

Input anyone?

Your Doctor is off her rocker. (Sounds nuts to me). Find a new Doctor and explain your situation again. To accuse you of things that are not true is very wrong. You can be hypogonadal which appears you may be and still have muscle mass. Find a new doctor!

Your Doctor is off her rocker. (Sounds nuts to me). Find a new Doctor and explain your situation again. To accuse you of things that are not true is very wrong. You can be hypogonadal which appears you may be and still have muscle mass. Find a new doctor!

Hello and thankyou for your response.

Yes this sucks pretty bad, and Im gonna find a new doctor. I find it pretty difficult to be assertive too, compared to some years ago when I felt fine.

Keep a positive attitude, but don't take crap from anyone. Don't piss off the doctor, but demand proper care. You are the patient and you should have an imput in your treatment.

I would call the nutjob back and ask her this... "IF I was using exogenous testosterone to suppress my natural testosterone why was my Luitinizing Hormone(LH) almost optimal?" "If I was using such an agent wouldnt that surpress my Luitinizing Hormone as well?" Secondly, it is common for people with chronically low testosterone to have a high IGF3, and or Growth Hormone, which apparently she didnt check, which would explain some muscularity. Thirdly your Prolactin wasnt high enough to suggest the presence of a pituitary tumor or prolactinoma. So tell this endo, "You've fucked around with me for 6 months now, and ive done everything youve asked of me, you were arrogant and wrong. I have a right to be treated for primary hypogonadism. You have discriminated against me. You have accumulated in excess of 5000 dollars of billable tests and visits and done nothing but accuse me of trying to commit a felony." If she will not treat you file a complaint with the appropriate medical board if you are in the united states, if in europe i have no idea what to do. Do not schedule another office visit with her, call her office and tell them to have her call you back saying you had a question about something.

We need to start filing complaints against these discriminating endocrinologists who are nothing but douchebags. If we just doctor shop it allows them to keep collecting money for office visits and lab work. The only way they will change is if it hits their pocketbooks and they start having to answer complaints to their respective governing bodies. Also, utilize doctor review sites, write negative reviews against these quacks.

I would call the nutjob back and ask her this... "IF I was using exogenous testosterone to suppress my natural testosterone why was my Luitinizing Hormone(LH) almost optimal?" "If I was using such an agent wouldnt that surpress my Luitinizing Hormone as well?" Secondly, it is common for people with chronically low testosterone to have a high IGF3, and or Growth Hormone, which apparently she didnt check, which would explain some muscularity. Thirdly your Prolactin wasnt high enough to suggest the presence of a pituitary tumor or prolactinoma. So tell this endo, "You've fucked around with me for 6 months now, and ive done everything youve asked of me, you were arrogant and wrong. I have a right to be treated for primary hypogonadism. You have discriminated against me. You have accumulated in excess of 5000 dollars of billable tests and visits and done nothing but accuse me of trying to commit a felony." If she will not treat you file a complaint with the appropriate medical board if you are in the united states, if in europe i have no idea what to do. Do not schedule another office visit with her, call her office and tell them to have her call you back saying you had a question about something.

We need to start filing complaints against these discriminating endocrinologists who are nothing but douchebags. If we just doctor shop it allows them to keep collecting money for office visits and lab work. The only way they will change is if it hits their pocketbooks and they start having to answer complaints to their respective governing bodies. Also, utilize doctor review sites, write negative reviews against these quacks.

Hello and thanks alot for your response.

I had actually read about the LH testosterone thing, so I told her exactly that, IE If I had been shutting down my own testosterone with exogenous test, my LH would be down too. She answered: "no it doesnt have to be", and then she said: "im the educated one here, not you".

I actually did check my igf-1 the first time, on a range of 90-280, I was 250, she said "that is good!". So she knows about my high igf.

Im in europe, in sweden, she said she should send me to another endocrinologist for "a second opinion".

Its quite crazy how bad I feel now by the way, the low hormone levels are killing me and I barely get out of bed nowadays, I was really hopeful to atlast be helped with this so I was really excited for my call with her, but nope, nothing, lol it kills ur morale for sure

Hello and thanks alot for your response.

I had actually read about the LH testosterone thing, so I told her exactly that, IE If I had been shutting down my own testosterone with exogenous test, my LH would be down too. She answered: "no it doesnt have to be", and then she said: "im the educated one here, not you".

I actually did check my igf-1 the first time, on a range of 90-280, I was 250, she said "that is good!". So she knows about my high igf.

Im in europe, in sweden, she said she should send me to another endocrinologist for "a second opinion".

Its quite crazy how bad I feel now by the way, the low hormone levels are killing me and I barely get out of bed nowadays, I was really hopeful to atlast be helped with this so I was really excited for my call with her, but nope, nothing, lol it kills ur morale for sure

I would still file complaints against her. And negative reviews. The only upside to all the shit youve been though is that you shouldnt need to do any more testing and imaging. You might be better off trying to find some test and hcg and dex on ur own. i dont know the laws there but if docs keep ripping u off id just take my health into my own hands. just have to do some research and figure out what other poeple in ur area are doing.

I would still file complaints against her. And negative reviews. The only upside to all the shit youve been though is that you shouldnt need to do any more testing and imaging. You might be better off trying to find some test and hcg and dex on ur own. i dont know the laws there but if docs keep ripping u off id just take my health into my own hands. just have to do some research and figure out what other poeple in ur area are doing.

Thanks, yeah I will definately give negative reviews. I will also inform her boss about it.

I have been searching for private doctors today, with great reviews, Ive found some leading experts regarding andrology in sweden today, male ones (ROFL), and ive sent a couple of emails explaining it all, aswell as the test results. Hopefully I will get some response there.

Pretty far from where im stationed, but doesnt matter to me.

Had an email consulation with a doc today.

Basicly he told me that my testosterone of readings 9, 5, and 6 were completely normal and could mean I had "good genetics and good androgen receptors", so I didnt need more.

Soul draining? yea

Back