Herniated Disk- advice needed

got2bestronger

Im new to the forum

I have been diagnosed with 2 herniated disc in the lower lumbar region (2 and change actually). Was in the hospital for a week, was getting pumped with meds/ including decadrone ( I think I was getting 60mg and then was dropped to 40mg, not sure whether it was 1-2x/day) and had a folly catheter b/c I could piss on my own…. Anyways, I’m out of the hospital. Main reason I was there was because the disks caused inflammation was messing up the nerves in the pelvic region, hence… what I stated above. They started me on prednisone, after tampering me off the Decadrone. I should be tampering off the prednisone towards the end of this week. And I have already received a epidural shot in my spine and will go for 2-3 more in the following weeks. Long story short, I have clearance to swim. And I lost weight, im always sore due to have a being in bed for nearly a week, I’ve had been recovering extremmly well so far and faster than the doctors expected. I know swimming helps with herniated disks, along with physical therapy. I will not be lifting weights for @ least 3 months.

I know A.S. will not cure my herniated disks. Certain ones just have temporary anti inflammatory properties. This is why I am not lifting and doing the epidural shots. Swimming will aid in the “healing process” so to speak even though it cannot be really healed. I would just like to be stronger/muscular/ and help reduce the inflammation further more. This brings me to my question:
I have Eq 200ml lying around, am I better off using deca?
As far as deca is concerned I know it has and is known for its anti inflammatory properties, which helps masks the pain by the water retention if I’m not mistaken. I don’t want to add too much weight to the point where it will aggravate it more (though idk how just using deca will do that). I do know that I won’t need to use a Aromatase inhibitor (AI) if I’m using the EQ, and that I will with deca. and I do have nolvadex on hand.
-I’m open to suggestions as far as which to use, dosage, frequency, diet (considering im only doing excessive swimming, and place of injections if that matters… as well as if I should use it during the epidural shots, or wait till after .

-Thought this may also be useful--
I will be tappering off the predisone this week. And will only be on
the following medications--

antibiotics to prevent uti, generic version of flomax, and a nerve meditation
-the only thing which concerns me is the nerve medication so i will see how long ill have to be on that....
But id though id wait to finish will these all.. before i did anything.

Thanks Guys!!!

Im new to the forum

I have been diagnosed with 2 herniated disc in the lower lumbar region (2 and change actually). Was in the hospital for a week, was getting pumped with meds/ including decadrone ( I think I was getting 60mg and then was dropped to 40mg, not sure whether it was 1-2x/day) and had a folly catheter b/c I could piss on my own…. Anyways, I’m out of the hospital. Main reason I was there was because the disks caused inflammation was messing up the nerves in the pelvic region, hence… what I stated above. They started me on prednisone, after tampering me off the Decadrone. I should be tampering off the prednisone towards the end of this week. And I have already received a epidural shot in my spine and will go for 2-3 more in the following weeks. Long story short, I have clearance to swim. And I lost weight, im always sore due to have a being in bed for nearly a week, I’ve had been recovering extremmly well so far and faster than the doctors expected. I know swimming helps with herniated disks, along with physical therapy. I will not be lifting weights for @ least 3 months.

I know A.S. will not cure my herniated disks. Certain ones just have temporary anti inflammatory properties. This is why I am not lifting and doing the epidural shots. Swimming will aid in the “healing process” so to speak even though it cannot be really healed. I would just like to be stronger/muscular/ and help reduce the inflammation further more. This brings me to my question:
I have Eq 200ml lying around, am I better off using deca?
As far as deca is concerned I know it has and is known for its anti inflammatory properties, which helps masks the pain by the water retention if I’m not mistaken. I don’t want to add too much weight to the point where it will aggravate it more (though idk how just using deca will do that). I do know that I won’t need to use a Aromatase inhibitor (AI) if I’m using the EQ, and that I will with deca. and I do have nolvadex on hand.
-I’m open to suggestions as far as which to use, dosage, frequency, diet (considering im only doing excessive swimming, and place of injections if that matters… as well as if I should use it during the epidural shots, or wait till after .

-Thought this may also be useful--
I will be tappering off the predisone this week. And will only be on
the following medications--

antibiotics to prevent uti, generic version of flomax, and a nerve meditation
-the only thing which concerns me is the nerve medication so i will see how long ill have to be on that....
But id though id wait to finish will these all.. before i did anything.

Thanks Guys!!!

Where are you from? Maybe I can direct you to a great doctor in your area. I strongly suggest finding a chiropractor/ manual therapist that practices cox flexion-distraction or specializes in mckensie technique -- it does wonders for discs in most people. Was it a true herniation? Do you know if any of the disc material was sequestered? I'm sure you had an MRI...

Here to help....hit me up man.

Gear will not help your back. Deca can increase the fluid in your synovial sacs in your joints but will do nothing for your dics in the lumbar region. There is hardly any circulation in your lower lumbar area. (age dependent of course)

Disc replacements have been aruond for 15 years and they are mostly failing. There are a ton of lawsuits regarding artificial discs etc.

Do you have the option for a microdiscectomy? How old are you?

I have had two back surgeries and I get disc injections every 6 months in attempt to buy time until a fusion, (or hopefully something new comes out inthe mean time)

Ryand has some good advice above as well. A good chiropractor can work wonders. Emphasis should be on the word GOOD!! There are a ton of quacks out there.

re

good luck with this bro, I've been dealing with pain from a bulged disc for close to 7 years. If your one of the lucky ones, it will heal on its own. However, with me, it didn't matter whether i took time off, did physical therapy, chiropractic, swam, strengthened my core, the pain was always there. At this point, i'm just living with and managing the pain. Most doctors will not do surgery, nor do i think they should unless you have serious serious issues stemming from the disc herniation.

Avoid anything that increases pain, do anything that decreases pain, and learn to live with it. May sound simplistic, but unless you plan to get some sort of surgery thats all you can do.

I've had two vertebrae thqt were Hung up for years and I never knew it causing me years of problems. A good buddy has a herniated disc. Both of us have been to a chiropractor. I'd recommend you go to one ASAP as living with it only does more damage.

My l2 is herniated and like slair nothing has cured my disc thus far. Its been about 5 years now. I have tried physical therapy, cortisone shots, cortisone pills, and all I can do is manage the pain. I go to a chiro every other week and get a massage every other week (alternating). I have found that using an inversion table everyday and seriously stretching my hamstrings are the only ways for me to manage the pain... I can't cough, sneeze or even run without dropping to my knees. If I don't stretch and stay up on my maintenance I have sciatica every morning and my days are miserable.

Moral of the story, stretch, stretch and stretch you're hamstrings some more.

Back

Years ago, I was rear ended by a freight truck. 2 years later I had 3 disc's taken out.
It provided some relief. Now years I'm looking at more surgurey in a couple weeks.
Like most of the Brothers that posted, B-4
me, I tried everything. Throw in Acupuncture and shots every 5 weeks. The
thought in the medical circles now is, have surgurey, and feel the same in 6 months. I'm only trying it again to keep me out of
a wheel chair. Back pain is like cancer. Always there, gets worse, never gives you a break. I wish you guy's the best in dealing
with your back challenges.

Warrior

You def want to make surgery an absolute last resort. They call it back surgery because you'll be going back.

i wasnt sure how to quote you so I just wanted to thank you guys for all your input.

I actually went to a chiro before this happened, and was healing nicely. and its kinda rally fucked up why this happend. courtesty to a really old bad matress, which made my already unstable back worse. he is actually a few blocks from House.
I went to see him today, and I am glad I did.
He gave me more detailed advice than my primary doctor and the pain managment doctor, didn't mention. like some of you stated I want to avoid surgery. I am staying home being some what home bound, not walking around to much for @ least three weeks, and resting up. I am going to be using a pool.
What the chiro was telling me: swimming is good, but certain strokes can actually aggravate the lower lumbar region, because you are extending your back. I didn't know this. what he suggested, was that i sit and walk in the pool. (it isnt very deep 3-4 ft)
sitting actually helps the spine decompress, so i will do that. and not swim.

^^
I hope you guys try this, might help

(I had a mri done in the hospital, do not recall which ones)

Ryand, im 23 and I live in NY.
He actually said he wouldn't manipulate me..
@ rest for now, just said take it easy, and chill out for now. i could ask about those teq. though

Last edited:
ah you'll be back may not be able to squat but theres a lot u wil be able to do. talk to guys with this all the time gh if anything but let the docs and therapists etc do there part first.

live in nyc but im all over the state for work.

i wasnt sure how to quote you so I just wanted to thank you guys for all your input.

I actually went to a chiro before this happened, and was healing nicely. and its kinda rally fucked up why this happend. courtesty to a really old bad matress, which made my already unstable back worse. he is actually a few blocks from House.
I went to see him today, and I am glad I did.
He gave me more detailed advice than my primary doctor and the pain managment doctor, didn't mention. like some of you stated I want to avoid surgery. I am staying home being some what home bound, not walking around to much for @ least three weeks, and resting up. I am going to be using a pool.
What the chiro was telling me: swimming is good, but certain strokes can actually aggravate the lower lumbar region, because you are extending your back. I didn't know this. what he suggested, was that i sit and walk in the pool. (it isnt very deep 3-4 ft)

^^
I hope you guys try this, might help

(I had a mri done in the hospital, do not recall which ones)

Ryand, im 23 and I live in NY.
He actually said he wouldn't manipulate me..
@ rest for now, just said take it easy, and chill out for now. i could ask about those teq. though

I'm sorry to hear your condition is keeping you down so much man.

I'm going to get a hold of some people and see what I can do for you in NY...I'll see if I can find you the right person. I'm from the midwest so I don't know a ton of people east but I do have some close friends in NY. Did he mention anything about lightly walking everyday?

Cox flexion-distraction and mckenzie are specifically for the disc and can yield amazing results. I manipulate even if disc issues are present most of the time (depending on the severity and the MRI). A lot of people walk around with herniations symptom free. I'll keep in touch man. Take care.

Sitting (the general population will sit with a flexed lumbar spine) is the most unatural and demanding position you can be in compared to standing, bending, etc. I don't care if it's in a pool.

I'm not advising that you go against your doctor's advice--but this is wrong. I'll get back to you this week and see if I can get a hold of someone.

Ryan, i was told that I should hold off on being manipulated by both my pain and primary doctor. Would it depend on which disks they are?

I might have used the wrong word, when i said sit. he basically showed me with a prop spine... when he extended the spine, the disks didn't move and essentially being squeezed. and when bent it the spine slightly open and the disks de-compressed. He said that this would be me goal. idk it if he meant literally sitting and he sure inst saying bend over completely. But being in that motion, like slightly bend over and doing this under/partially submerged under water would be good.
Yeah I have been to told to walk, and I do around and in my house.. just to take things easy...

Ive heard about GH, but its is so freaking expensive, and to be on it year round... loll Ive read that the absolute minumin as far as for astehic, would be 3 months. Regardsless ill keep that in mind, As far as the GH- ill keep it in mind, what are things to consider?

I also have exercise that i do/ and did when i was layed up in the bed @ the hospital for a week. which helped me walk again. (I couldn't right before i went to the hospital)

thanks again..

Last edited:
BRO...I was in the hospital 3 weeks from a herniated disc. I couldn't move at all. The doctors gave me an epidual which helped a ton. I would look into that first. I jumped on gear about 2 months later and it helped me a ton. I did something like test and eq. I had siatic pains for nearly 8 months or so and I don't have any now. I was in bad shape but I did a ton of core stuff. I was in the gym and all I would have my friends put weights on the machines and workout. I used a lot of the machines and didn't really do free weights for a while. I made sure I did 20 mins of core stuff and I would role out the leg and back as much as I could with a foam roller. Don't do anything with bending. I go very hard now it's been 2 years and I even do MMA. I'm doing jitsu and I have guys stack me I bend in all different ways and my back hasn't gotten hurt but I have bad days. Sometimes I'm so stiff it's not even funny. I pick everything up with my legs never use ur back. Since my injury I have only hurt it 2 more times and I was layed up for about a week. I take Anti flam when my back re hearniates. 2 times in 2 years isn't bad considering I'm so freaking active. I train every day and sometime 2 times a day. The main thing is your core if you have a weak core you will get hurt over and over and you will probably need surgery. I didn't get surgery and I'm very happy. You can live a normal life if you train your core and once the pain goes away and you think your fine don't stop training your core cause if you do you will hurt yourself again that's a promise. Like I said I couldn't even walk or turn on my side when I was in bed. Nobody understands how much the spine effect your whole body. You become cripple and can't move but trust me when the swelling goes down and you start doing your PT you will feel a lot better.NEVER get adjusted don't even get massages in that are unless it's very light and it's just to loosen up the muscles. I really don't think you should get surgery I know a lot of people who have and got worse and i know people (dad) who have and got better. If your young def don't get it but get the epidural for sure that helps big time. I know so much about herniated disc lol over the years I've done so much reading. When it first happened I thought my life was over. Thats me in my AVI...I work out legs and do leg presses now. I still can't do dead lift and I probably will never try. I don't do bend over rows. I don't do anything that has my back bending unless it's support like when you do leg presses and you have back support. If you do legs make sure you wear a back brace and make sure you don't go to deep. Start out light and remember when your on gear your more likely to push to the point your back can't support it so stay go with high reps for the first 6 months until your core is super strong.

Ryan, i was told that I should hold off on being manipulated by both my pain and primary doctor. Would it depend on which disks they are?

I might have used the wrong word, when i said sit. he basically showed me with a prop spine... when he extended the spine, the disks didn't move and essentially being squeezed. and when bent it the spine slightly open and the disks de-compressed. He said that this would be me goal. idk it if he meant literally sitting and he sure inst saying bend over completely. But being in that motion, like slightly bend over and doing this under/partially submerged under water would be good.
Yeah I have been to told to walk, and I do around and in my house.. just to take things easy...

Ive heard about GH, but its is so freaking expensive, and to be on it year round... loll Ive read that the absolute minumin as far as for astehic, would be 3 months. Regardsless ill keep that in mind, As far as the GH- ill keep it in mind, what are things to consider?

I also have exercise that i do/ and did when i was layed up in the bed @ the hospital for a week. which helped me walk again. (I couldn't right before i went to the hospital)

thanks again..

Chiropractors are experts in neuromusculoskeletal conditions. Most medical doctors don't understand what chiropractors do unless they take the time to understand. They are experts in medicine...and so forth.

Depending on your MRI, you probably shouldn't be manipulated based on the severity you have explained. But the info you have given me, and what the chiro is doing for you is strange. Chiropractors are just like anyother person or any other doctor...there are shit ones and great ones. Yours may be great at what he does...I have no idea. I've been asking around about dr's in New York. You said you travel but, Is there an area in NY you mostly reside to? (north, south, east, west, w/e) So I can narrow my decision? I'll do my best to direct you to someone.

I'll PM you some locations once you reply back, I'm in a referral network . Also, if you don't mind can you send me the website of the chiro you have been seeing so I can look into his website?

BRO...I was in the hospital 3 weeks from a herniated disc. I couldn't move at all. The doctors gave me an epidual which helped a ton. I would look into that first. I jumped on gear about 2 months later and it helped me a ton. I did something like test and eq. I had siatic pains for nearly 8 months or so and I don't have any now. I was in bad shape but I did a ton of core stuff. I was in the gym and all I would have my friends put weights on the machines and workout. I used a lot of the machines and didn't really do free weights for a while. I made sure I did 20 mins of core stuff and I would role out the leg and back as much as I could with a foam roller. Don't do anything with bending. I go very hard now it's been 2 years and I even do MMA. I'm doing jitsu and I have guys stack me I bend in all different ways and my back hasn't gotten hurt but I have bad days. Sometimes I'm so stiff it's not even funny. I pick everything up with my legs never use ur back. Since my injury I have only hurt it 2 more times and I was layed up for about a week. I take Anti flam when my back re hearniates. 2 times in 2 years isn't bad considering I'm so freaking active. I train every day and sometime 2 times a day. The main thing is your core if you have a weak core you will get hurt over and over and you will probably need surgery. I didn't get surgery and I'm very happy. You can live a normal life if you train your core and once the pain goes away and you think your fine don't stop training your core cause if you do you will hurt yourself again that's a promise. Like I said I couldn't even walk or turn on my side when I was in bed. Nobody understands how much the spine effect your whole body. You become cripple and can't move but trust me when the swelling goes down and you start doing your PT you will feel a lot better.NEVER get adjusted don't even get massages in that are unless it's very light and it's just to loosen up the muscles. I really don't think you should get surgery I know a lot of people who have and got worse and i know people (dad) who have and got better. If your young def don't get it but get the epidural for sure that helps big time. I know so much about herniated disc lol over the years I've done so much reading. When it first happened I thought my life was over. Thats me in my AVI...I work out legs and do leg presses now. I still can't do dead lift and I probably will never try. I don't do bend over rows. I don't do anything that has my back bending unless it's support like when you do leg presses and you have back support. If you do legs make sure you wear a back brace and make sure you don't go to deep. Start out light and remember when your on gear your more likely to push to the point your back can't support it so stay go with high reps for the first 6 months until your core is super strong.

Ryan and Bob the I did respond well to the first epidural.. bc I was able to use the bathroom on my own, after i gt the shot and the sciatica pain isnt really there the swelling/inflammation when down. I am scheduled for another next week. I was wondering how you guys work out with injuries and Bob you pretty much answer my questions.
I think Im supppose to be doing PT soon, as i stated i do what i was giving @ the hospital. i will also try to strengthen my core. right now i tighten my abs/ bend my knees with what i need to do..

No joke, i just vomited, and i figured i would have to be careful with that, no bending and tightened my abs..

Ryan I will also pm you

Ryan and Bob the I did respond well to the first epidural.. bc I was able to use the bathroom on my own, after i gt the shot and the sciatica pain isnt really there the swelling/inflammation when down. I am scheduled for another next week. I was wondering how you guys work out with injuries and Bob you pretty much answer my questions.
I think Im supppose to be doing PT soon, as i stated i do what i was giving @ the hospital. i will also try to strengthen my core. right now i tighten my abs/ bend my knees with what i need to do..

No joke, i just vomited, and i figured i would have to be careful with that, no bending and tightened my abs..

Ryan I will also pm you

I got your PM broha. Do you have difficulty using the restroom because of the pain? Or is it actual difficulty with controlling your bowel/bladder function? Have you noticed any numbness/ change of sensation in your pelvic area (gooch, taint, w/e lol). Any changes in sensation with your genital region? Or has low back pain and sciatica been your main symptoms?

This sounds severe enough that the MD/pain management place is def where you need to be right now--they'll keep you sane and make life manageable.

I'm getting a hold of some people and doing some research to hopefully send you in the right direction. The right chiro should get your life back.

Try not to reach down and touch your toes and shit..I'm not sure what's up with them telling you to sit and w/e but loaded flexion (bending through the lumbar spine rather than the hips is once of the main causes of herniations--especially with weight).

Ask your doctor about walking, That's what I would be doing. I know you prob can't workout right now lol--but don't. Once this issue resolves, learn proper mechanics, and you do the proper core strengthening you should be back to lifting because your so young.

I've had sciatica and low back pain severe enough it's knocked me on my ass and I haven't been able to walk. I'm more knowledgeable now and I haven't had an episode in years. Keep a positive attitude man, I'll be in touch.

I'll eventually send you some info on functional core training and functional respiration training. If you go into the gym and start killing core like most people--hitting primarily hip flexors lol--could def make things worse.

Back