High calorie intake but still not gaining!

Being only 2 weeks off pct...complicates the picture quite a bit.
For example, you may simply be losing excess water gained on cycle - plenty of guys drop 10-20 pounds within a month of coming off and its never all muscle.

For thyroid you want TSH and T4 & T3.
Low TSH indicates your thyroid is overworking - but since your doc monitors this I doubt you'll see anything interesting. If T4/T3 is too high then that's an indicator that your T4 medication is too high, so dosing will need to be adjusted.

You don't HAVE to get both T4 and T3 but sometimes the t4-->t3 conversion gets effected by pct so its a useful stat to have access to.
Basically, a t3 level of 7.0-7.4/pmol/L or 450-480 pg/dL indicates no issues regardless of what TSH/T4 is doing.

- Wait the usual 6 weeks, doing bloodwork earlier isn't going to show anything good for obvious reasons.
- Yes, continue the medication.

That's a 1/4lb a week if you gain your supposed limit of LMM yearly.

If I only cycled for 14 weeks, 3.5lbs based on your information.

Hard to grasp if it's the truth. But, I don't honestly believe 3.5lbs in a 14 week period is all the dry muscle weight you can possibly gained while "enhanced".

Not saying you're wrong, and I know you're a vet (you have wisdom, and been doing this much longer).. but it's incredibly hard for me to believe that.

I try not to argue, I'm NO authority but experienced enough. I should have said 15-18 on good year. This is taking as you described it as dry muscle weight. That just changes the fractions but still hold the truth. Take a look at the pro's and how much they gain a year at a time while in show.

Best yet do some research on this topic of How much LMM in one year. If you find reference different to what I have proposed please show me. Unfortunately I haven saved all my research in this matter and probably should have but never knew it would come into this Question.

Being only 2 weeks off pct...complicates the picture quite a bit.
For example, you may simply be losing excess water gained on cycle - plenty of guys drop 10-20 pounds within a month of coming off and its never all muscle.

For thyroid you want TSH and T4 & T3.
Low TSH indicates your thyroid is overworking - but since your doc monitors this I doubt you'll see anything interesting. If T4/T3 is too high then that's an indicator that your T4 medication is too high, so dosing will need to be adjusted.

You don't HAVE to get both T4 and T3 but sometimes the t4-->t3 conversion gets effected by pct so its a useful stat to have access to.
Basically, a t3 level of 7.0-7.4/pmol/L or 450-480 pg/dL indicates no issues regardless of what TSH/T4 is doing.

- Wait the usual 6 weeks, doing bloodwork earlier isn't going to show anything good for obvious reasons.
- Yes, continue the medication.

Yeah, I feel like I'm just getting fatter.. but I suppose this is 3J's way of ensuring what will stay... will. Leaving the uncontrollable losses to happen, but not take what I can spare with diet in the process. Thanks for the clarification.

I will have everything checked at 6 weeks as normally recommended and will also get my thryoid panel done then too.

Thanks again!

PS: there are charts that speak to this very topic as to how much LMM weight a man can gain in one year using different variables.

The charts show that the answer differs with the amount of years training. Simply put the diminishing returns. The 1st year the gains "are " much more and as you get 2nd, 3rd, 4th years of training it decreases.

I am always thinking in regard to a guy with a few years under his belt and maybe that's my mistake here. But the overall average make a statement as to the reality of what gains people think they should have or have had. Like the novices thinking they have gained 30 pounds of muscle in 12-16 weeks.

I'm sorry I am not really ready with all my facts (shame on me) but they are out there to see the research. I'll dig into my stuff and see what I can bring to the board here to make better my statements. Thanks....OMM :Pat:

Hmm, I'll post some pics up. Why not. I'm fat though be warned. I'll show a before, during, and after cycle. You want flexed or no?

No need to its not gonna change anything if you got tuff skin go for it most guys here are cool but never know some ass might rub it in your face that your fat later on. Its obvious you have to drop fat and that should be your focus. Honestly im not a good dieter and neve have been. Wether i did it erong i dont care you all know what i used to get leaner and im happy and look way way better than when i started.

Im gonna tell you something that can save you years and lots of money......
Anyone that makes it far and doesnt stay the same every year Never comes off Never always on low test bare minimum. ..... Second tip.....

Stay the fuck away from high test and anything that fucken aromatizes! You have too much fat and its a nightmare to control estrogen you have to tske alot of ai compared to average people. Dont even go higher than 300mg test i prefer less.

Well, I'm only 2 weeks off PCT.. checked my calendar. A little earlier than previously thought actually. Regardless, I'm willing to get bloods to rule out anything but I was going to wait the usually recommended 6-8 weeks after PCT. Thoughts on that? As in, should I get one done sooner and later?

I got the Post cycle bloods covered as far as what panel. But, as far as the thyroid panel goes.. What should absolutely be checked, AND I'm going to imagine that I should continue taking my medication as normal correct?

Thank you

You're likely still hypogonadal. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain/maintain muscle mass in that state. FYI: You're consuming more calories than I am, and I have 100lbs on you at 13% bf. I'd scale that back, or you're going to see fat building up once your metabolism stabilizes. Stop looking at the scale, and focus more on measurements/training improvements. If you are losing strength, then I'd worry.

My .02c :)

I try not to argue, I'm NO authority but experienced enough. I should have said 15-18 on good year. This is taking as you described it as dry muscle weight. That just changes the fractions but still hold the truth. Take a look at the pro's and how much they gain a year at a time while in show.

Best yet do some research on this topic of How much LMM in one year. If you find reference different to what I have proposed please show me. Unfortunately I haven saved all my research in this matter and probably should have but never knew it would come into this Question.

This can be changed so many ways.. as the variables at hand are just massive in amount. Genetics, Gender, Age, Diet, Training, Drugs, Time, Starting point, Ending Points.

The pros gain very little year by year once they are there.. I understand that, they are hitting their genetic/steroid induced/growth and insulin induced limitations and slowing down to a crawl in terms of gains. I went from 183-201.. 18 from cycle and got a little fat in the process. What you're saying is I should expect, if I do actually keep it to only have 4 maybe 5 lbs from the cycle in dry muscle weight, yes? 5 is even pushing it.

I'll give it some researching, I just think starting weight can matter too.

If I was 140 skinny natural.. and gained 30lbs from a cycle of test, I bet you I'd have kept 10-15 of it at the very least and as dry muscle.
Just like if I was 215 semi lean natural, and gained 15lbs on cycle it would be a totally different story I'd think.. I may only have put on 3-5 dry pounds there.

I don't know, I just really think there is more than just a simple range like 15-18lbs a year you know? So many things can affect that.

Halfwit said what I was going to say - look at measurements and strength over the scale. While the scale does not lie, it does not tell you enough information to find what the truth actually is. Take all the measurements you routinely took for 3J and keep a record of them, along with your weight. Add in the weights you push at the gym so you can keep track of your strength as well.

I am eating 3200 calories right now and just lost weight, but 3J is giving me cheat days and adding in more food to increase my calories.

You're likely still hypogonadal. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain/maintain muscle mass in that state. FYI: You're consuming more calories than I am, and I have 100lbs on you at 13% bf. I'd scale that back, or you're going to see fat building up once your metabolism stabilizes. Stop looking at the scale, and focus more on measurements/training improvements. If you are losing strength, then I'd worry.

My .02c :)

I didn't seem much weaker in the gym when I went Friday night, but I've been wayyyyyy more exhausted after work lately. Gonna have to ride it out to the 6 week mark regardless to really know anything. Oh well.

I didn't seem much weaker in the gym when I went Friday night, but I've been wayyyyyy more exhausted after work lately. Gonna have to ride it out to the 6 week mark regardless to really know anything. Oh well.

When I was at 2880 calories and in ketosis, EVERYTHING felt heavy. Granted, I was cutting - but that helped me to keep track of how much mass I was losing on top of fat. I'm currently on a dieting break for the first time in forever, and still realizing what a difference just 2000 calories can make!

Of course, I'm staying the hell off the scale as I don't want that little bastard to remind me that I'm putting weight back on. Messes with the head a lot, which is never a good thing. ;)

AS I said in the beginning I will not argue an I'm no authority but this is what my research tells me as well as what I have witnessed and have seen in myself.

Think about this. The typical guy at say 175lbs trains 3-4 years. So he gains , well whatever you want to put him at. and at only 15 lbs a year he would be 235. do you see him being bigger Yes maybe. 250, 275,290 I question then how much LMM. If he leaned out after 275 where would he sit.

That's all I'll go into with this. I don't think it does the thread any good and research will tell a better story. Even with the variables all of them it will still pan out this way.

AS I said in the beginning I will not argue an I'm no authority but this is what my research tells me as well as what I have witnessed and have seen in myself.

Think about this. The typical guy at say 175lbs trains 3-4 years. So he gains , well whatever you want to put him at. and at only 15 lbs a year he would be 235. do you see him being bigger Yes maybe. 250, 275,290 I question then how much LMM. If he leaned out after 275 where would he sit.

That's all I'll go into with this. I don't think it does the thread any good and research will tell a better story. Even with the variables all of them it will still pan out this way.

I might have alot of fat but id say its spread out pretty good and look 100× better than a natty 275lb man

I might have alot of fat but id say its spread out pretty good and look 100× better than a natty 275lb man

Well I never said look at me. You know I'm just a skinny little shit wanna be big.. I wish I had some of your fat in the right places. :). I'm a has been and just wanna see if I can look like a guy that lifts seriously. Better than those old guys.

Well I never said look at me. You know I'm just a skinny little shit wanna be big.. I wish I had some of your fat in the right places. :). I'm a has been and just wanna see if I can look like a guy that lifts seriously. Better than those old guys.

You look really great mike you are a inspiration honestly and hope to look as good as you as I age

You look really great mike you are a inspiration honestly and hope to look as good as you as I age

I'll second that.

Trying to get my dad looking into HRT. I think he's highly considering it now with the information I've learned on this site being presented to him.

He got a second opinion on what I told him, from someone his age but considerably larger (more muscular).. and heard the same stance on the matter.

Things like that really make me love being here and learning day by day.

I have a similar problem lol. I know people find it hard to believe, but I take in about 6000 cals a day too. Whenever I post this, ppl usually call BS too. Makes me annoyed cause what do I get out of braging about eating more. wtf

Split is 260 Pro/100-110 Fat/ 600+ carbs. All cleans foods, no junk at all.

I'm 21 and put on .2 lbs last week. It's frustrating and takes more effort to shovel this BS down than any workout.
5'75 @ 200 lbs. Maybe 15-18% BF Not sure. I do hold so much bloody water though cause of huge salt diet + carbs.

PS: I do lift for around 2.5 hrs 6 days a week. Lots of drop sets too and lots volume. PPL Split x2 a week. Also, I track my macros killer too. Logged past 2.5 years of lifting by HAND in notebooks, Looking at em atm.

Last edited:
Back