hole in stopper

jediclampet

not a wigger
I just made some test undec. I filtered through an 18 g pin. When I finished filtering, I noticed that a small "tear" remained in the top of the rubber stopper. When I hold the vial upside down, a small amount of oil slowly oozes out of the tear.

What should I do? Can I just draw up my gear around the tear? Transferring the gear to another vial sounds like a pain in the a$$ and I don't really see what good it would do unless I refilter - which really sounds like a pain in the a$$.

Last edited:
its generally ok as long as the gear doesnt leak out. If you want, you can get a new stopper and crimp it. If thats not an option, they sell fold-over stoppers that can be simply placed in the vial neck and folded over the lip creating a good seal. I think g e t p i n z .com has them.

jediclampet said:
I just made some test undec. I filtered through an 18 g pin. When I finished filtering, I noticed that a small "tear" remained in the top of the rubber stopper. When I hold the vial upside down, a small amount of oil slowly oozes out of the tear.

What should I do? Can I just draw up my gear around the tear? Transferring the gear to another vial sounds like a pain in the a$$ and I don't really see what good it would do unless I refilter - which really sounds like a pain in the a$$.
They make these rubber stoppers too thick and hard; easy for them to crack or punch holes thru. I hate it.

I find that 18g sometimes takes chunks out of the stopper and leaves them floating in the oil, I use 20g to draw.

pineapple said:
They make these rubber stoppers too thick and hard; easy for them to crack or punch holes thru. I hate it.

Most stoppers are very soft, the reddish ones are very durable and hard though. They need to be thick enough for spongy rubber to close up the holes you just punched in it.

Mudge said:
I find that 18g sometimes takes chunks out of the stopper and leaves them floating in the oil, I use 20g to draw.

Yep, I use 20 g to draw too. But I use 18 g when I am filtering.

My friends,

If your butyl stoppers red or grey short or long neck are cracking, you are buying shit stoppers that have been sitting in storage for years improper. that alone would scare the shit out of me if that is the stopper, what is the rest like. "gear wise" you should never have that problem, and should slam your supplier for selling that crap.

Back