How do you guys cook your chicken breast!?!?!?

This requires a little prep work, and adds a (small amount of) sodium to your diet, but you can make a bunch in advance on sat or sun and have your chicken breasts ready for the rest of the week, tastes great too. I'm assuming boneless skinless chicken breasts here.

We're using thawed chicken breasts. Cut off the tenderloin piece, it's too small to do this, set that aside for some soup or chili or hell, skewer them with some peppers and onions with a pinch of salt. Pound the chicken breasts down to 1/2 inch thickness. Make a brine solution: 1 gallon of cold water (salt doesn't dissolve any faster in hot water) stir in 3 tablespoons of table salt (or 1/2 cup if you use kosher, it's flat and you need a lot more to get the same amount of NaCl) and stir the crap out of it to get the salt to dissolve. If you are big on presentation, you can add 1/2 cup of sugar to the brine, which makes the chicken come out a nice brown color, but if you're loath to use refined sugar in your diet (the actual amount that ends up on the chicken is so small you don't taste it, it's just for color), you can omit the sugar and the chicken will still come out nicely, it just won't brown as well. Now, pour the brine into a large roasting pan or two and set the chicken in the brine and leave out at room temp You could use ziplock bags if you have any big ones as well. The chicken must be fully covered in brine. This sits for half an hour minimum, but you don't want to go over an hour or the salt in the solution will start to make the chicken less firm.

While the chicken is brining, you're going to build a very hot charcoal fire in your grill. Briquettes don't get hot enough, so we're going to use lump charcoal. I can get it here at the grocery store, but in places I've lived in the past, I had to go to places like Lowes, Home Depot, or 84 Lumber to get it- basically any big home improvement store will have lump charcoal. It looks like black wood. Take the lump charcoal and fill up the grill, like beyond what you would be using for a regular backyard bbq. You want those coals just under your grate, don't be afraid of overfilling your grill for this. As long as you can get the grate on properly, you're good. Light up the grill and by the time your grill is ready, your chicken will be done brining.

Hopefully, you prepped a lot of chicken (the brine recipe can be doubled or halved or whatever, just keep the proportions equal) because this cooking process is quick. You might lose some of the hair on your fingers/hands from this if you don't have real barbecue tongs. Those ones that fit in your kitchen drawer are going to have you cussing up a storm if you try to use them for this. Take the chicken straight from the brine and without shaking the brine off or dripping it of, drop the dripping wet chicken breasts onto the grill. Wait 1 and a half to 2 minutes and turn them over. 1 and a half to 2 minutes more and they're done and you can put the next batch on.

One of the things I always disliked about boneless skinless chicken breast is that it isn't very flavorful. It's great for you, and has an awesome texture, but the taste just isn't enough. This method of cooking fixes that. The super high heat on the grill sears that chicken and the fact that you're cooking over lump charcoal made out of real hunks of wood gives a nice flavor all throughout the meat. The brining makes the chicken really juicy. Now you have a bunch of grilled chicken breasts that you can chop up and put onto your salads or eat as they are with a side of brown rice and a sweet potato or however you like your chicken meals. If you absolutely need a strong flavor to your chicken, before brining, use a dry rub with some cayenne or lemon and garlic or something and rub it into the chicken before brining. Use a little bit more (but not too much) than you would normally use, as some of it is going to wash away in the brine, but I find I don't need any flavoring added with this

i just recently discovered that crock pots are amazing. its 4:31 am, i think im going to go throw some ckn breasts in now...we need a thread for healthy late night snacks. my schedule is way off from normal and im starving right now...i know the basics i can eat now but need some more ideas!

I buy skinless breast with the rib bone still attached. (Leaving the bone on adds so much flavor) I simply pan sear them in a non stick frying pan with no added oil or fat. Start them bone side down. The bone will not stick. I cover them with a splatter screen which holds in some of the steam. When 3/4 cooked (just a small circle of pink remains on top) I flip them. The natural fats will have by now coated the pan preventing the skinless meat from sticking. The beauty of this meathod is that the natural juices and fats carmelize and coat the breast leaving a nice golden color and rich taste.
You'll never be able to eat a steamed skinless/boneless breast again!

cant beleive no one said they love boiled chicken...go figure.

1 gallon zip lock bag, 3 lbs of boneless skinless breast...i butterfly the thick breasts so they cook faster. throw chicken in bag with a half bottle of italian dressing.....let sit for a day.

grill .... dont clean your grill toooo good....... there is flavor in dem black flakes (i am being serious even though i said it funny)

I buy my chicken by the 4kg box.
Casserole dish has been my best friend, throw a couple frozen chunks in there @ 350 for about 45 mins, season half way through.
Add Franks Red Hot.

Good to go.

If you're gonna cook chicken at a big batch like that... At least season a few tits differently... You'll get sick of eating the same thing over and over ;)

Always stick with dry herbs for chicken like, oregano, basil, thyme, garlics, even the pre mix stuff like the greek mix or roasted red peppers... Those come in handy too...

Even simmering your chicken in water with dried herbs work too if you're cutting ;) Just a little cooks insider!

Wife tends to pick up the reduced sodium stuff, but dont know the exact #s or if it would be a good fit for you!
Sounds delicious but every chicken broth I've seen canned anyway is packed with sodium unless you use your own broth. Trying to watch my sodium intake when I start my cycle, gonna look bloated enough as it is. :x

Broiler with some seasoning on it works great! Takes less time than baking and can do other stuff during. Grilling has to be watched more. On higher fat days i brush each with olive oil

Crockpot Chicken Recipe
3lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
1can Low sodium/msg free vegetable broth
.5c Salsa or Hot Sauce
1 packet of Low Sodium/msg free Taco, Chili, or Meatloaf Seasoning
Chopped Onions and Peppers

Add first 4 ingredients to Crockpot. Cook on HIGH for 4hours. Add vegetables and cook for 45-60 more minutes.

Your welcome.

similar to the above poster..

cube chicken breasts and place them into an electric pressure cooker. cook on high pressure for 10-11 minutes submersed in water. remove the chicken and place it into a deep bowl. beat the chicken with an electric mixer. you now have pounds of shredded chicken. to hydrate and season i simmer 1 cup of water and add a taco seasoning packet. toss the chicken in the seasoning and enjoy.

i pressure cook my brown rice too. just add a 1:1 ratio of rice and water with a pat of butter. set on high pressure for 9 minutes and you have tons of ready made rice.

It really depends but most recently I baked a bunch at 350F for 45 minutes then SHREDDED it all. This way I can put it into wraps with wheat tortillas, in my salads with guacamole (on low carb days/high fat days), and mixed in with brown rice with olive oil. I totally hear you on finding new ways on how to cook this lovely bird. I eagerly await more creative responses with my notepad!

My .02c :)

I do similar things... avocado is awesome.. ive been adding it to my post work out shakes and I think it helps a lot

grill them on the barbecue or throw em in the crock pot and let them get nice and tender with potatoes carrots and onions

Back