How do you know when to take time off??

Thunder

Just curious to find out how long you guys get after it hard before you take a break for a bit and how long so you dont "overtrain"...for me i guess i can never really tell if im overtraining...i never feel tired or feel like im not making consistant gains...just curious to know..late

I just took 1 week off I needed it. i went back to the gym today and busted out the 120's on flat bench.

I take a break for midterm or final exams weeks (total of 6wks/yr pretty much evenly spaced).. nutrition/sleeping typically goes awry at those times, so lifting time is better spent studying anyways.

Those weeks are not a total break, but usually just one total body session each week to try and maintain what I have gained until things are less hectic and I can get things back in line.

If I'm feeling really tired and run-down, I'll take a week off of the gym.
Sometimes I need a break every three months, sometimes I can go six without a break. I just listen to my body.:)

Listen to your body. If it hurts or just isn't putting out, you probably need a good rest period. Other things that help me is changing the routine around. I do this once a month. This month I am trying double split workouts. I may hit the gym at 4:30 for an hour of Hamstrings then go back about 8:30 and hit my back. I used to do these together in one workout but I have wanted to hit my Hams hard and then I am too spent for back, bi's or anything else. Go home have dinner, rest a while and I have a second wind.

You just have to listen to your body and mix it up. Most people will tell you, if they take a week off, they come back stronger.

Whenever I feel like shit or tired I take some time off. It even depends on the day. If my wrists are achey, and I am tired there is no way I can push myself and if I were to go to the gym it would be a wasted workout. So if I am not up to it, I take a day off. If I really feel like shit all over I take a week. Maybe a week off every couple of months.

right now i am tired, iratated easy and dont feel like going. thats why i will be taking a few days off.

your body will tell you when it needs a few days off

i usually schedule 1 week off for every 2 months. every now and again though, if i feel sluggish, i will take a week off in between.

Back