How Healthy are you?

Eze

I never really cared about what I ate because I was gaining muscle and my bf% is never over 15% no matter how shitty I eat and how lazy I am. If I ate McDonald's for a month while watching 10 hours of TV per day my fat never gets out of control.

One week ago I went to the doctor and my BP was checked - 138/90. 140-90 is considered hypertensive, but considering I am under 30 years old this is a concern.

Granted, I did have about 6 glasses of green tea that morning, but that reading really got me thinking. The green tea (caffeine) could have raised the BP, but I should be 120/80. I really don't have an excuse why I shouldn't be.

I used to have the mentality ~ get big at any cost. Now, things have changed. I may never step on the competitive stage, but who knows. But instead of the "get big" mentality, I have no focused on getting healthy.

- Minimum of 2 hours of cardio per week.
- Complex carbs for breakfast, pre workout, and post workout only
- More Fish Oil, EVOO, Natty Peanut butter, mixed nuts with be in the other meals throughout the day
- Salad atleast once per day
- Increase Fiber intake
- I am taking Red yeast Rice and Flush Free Niacin for Cholesterol
- No Caffeine

Any other suggestions? comments?

Last edited:
It's good to see your getting vegetables. If you want healthy than increase those veggies still. Also, I don't think that caffeine is all that healthy. I wouldn't worry about cutting it out completely. Also make sure you get tons of water, but I'm sure you do anyways.

This is something that hit me really hard as soon as I stepped back on the treadmill. I would suggest 1 hr of conventional cardio/wk plut another hr of a sport or activity (bbal, soccer, roller blading, swimming etc) because these keep areas of your body healthy you don't normally get around to (elbows, ankles, hips) and keep you moving without problems. Plus it's fun to do these.

I've completely ditched the notion of "get big at any cost" and not only because it doesn't work (gain 20lbs of fat, you have to lose that later...your wasting time) but because it made me feel like shit carrying around the extra fat, not to mention the mental burden of being a tubby. I promised myself I will never get over 12% again, 10% if I can manage it.

As for healthy diet, I recently (due to cutting up) starting eating a lot stir fry. Here's the ingredients:

Broc
Red Pep
Yellow Pep
Green Pep
Celery
Cucumber/Zuccini
Mushrooms
Tomoatoe
Chicken breast or lean beef
some others I forget, you can throw in whever you like

Lots of healthy veggies and it actually makes you full for a while.

Your concern is my concern at this point to-

Heck i'm doing about 6 hrs of cardio / week at this point and really starting to lose some weight. My goal was to be down to 210 lbs by summer (49 more to go) even if it meant losing a lot of muscle along the way because even that extra weight has started to be come a real problem. I even changed my workouts to become a little more functional and allow me to go and play sports with friends on the weekend.

My point is nothing beats lowering BP and other problems then just getting your weight down.

My main goal is dropping my weight down. Last week I was 230lbs at 5'8" and my bodyfat is pretty respectable, but it's too much weight to be holding at this height. I've made cardio a priority and do 30 mins during each lunch break at work. I try and keep my HR about 150. I'm going to throw in weights once or twice per week, but right now I am focused on a healthy heart.

Next time I bulk I will follow strict carb cut off, drink lots of green tea, and bang away at the cardio, keep my EFA high. I would like to have a couple kids and live long enough to see them grow up.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Your concern is my concern at this point to-

Heck i'm doing about 6 hrs of cardio / week at this point and really starting to lose some weight. My goal was to be down to 210 lbs by summer (49 more to go) even if it meant losing a lot of muscle along the way because even that extra weight has started to be come a real problem. I even changed my workouts to become a little more functional and allow me to go and play sports with friends on the weekend.

My point is nothing beats lowering BP and other problems then just getting your weight down.
Yep.

Lower the weight
Clean up the diet

I guess these sort of go hand-in-hand

did you have blood work (ie. lipid, CMP) and have a full check up.

yeah, 5'8" 230 wether muscle or fat is a load on the body

Easto said:
I never really cared about what I ate because I was gaining muscle and my bf% is never over 15% no matter how shitty I eat and how lazy I am. If I ate McDonald's for a month while watching 10 hours of TV per day my fat never gets out of control.

One week ago I went to the doctor and my BP was checked - 138/90. 140-90 is considered hypertensive, but considering I am under 30 years old this is a concern.

Granted, I did have about 6 glasses of green tea that morning, but that reading really got me thinking. The green tea (caffeine) could have raised the BP, but I should be 120/80. I really don't have an excuse why I shouldn't be.

I used to have the mentality ~ get big at any cost. Now, things have changed. I may never step on the competitive stage, but who knows. But instead of the "get big" mentality, I have no focused on getting healthy.

- More Fish Oil, EVOO, Natty Peanut butter, mixed nuts with be in the other meals throughout the day
- Increase Fiber intake
- No Caffeine

a lot of it is genetics . im maybe 5 foot 9 if i cheat a little and at 310 pounds my bp is 120 over 80 even if i take xenadrine lol . my genetics make me predisposed to being big and im blessed in the fact that my bp and cholesterol are way above average even for a guy 20 years younger and ripped .

edit = i read this and realized i didnt mention i had been dropping weight as well . my joints just cant handle that much weight anymore at my age [ 44] so id down to around 275 and still dropping .

Last edited:
Easto said:

- Increase Fiber intake
- No Caffeine

Last time I checked I was 100%

Easto

IMO if you make an efford to have a clean diet and make some cardio (low intensity and some high intensity) it should allow you to adapt to virtually any weight.

Some sports like boxing give you a great endurance for handling a heavy bodyweight.

I have been doing 30 mins on the EFX with my HR around 150-155

I hate doing cardio, but I feel better when I am done and I know it will help me live a longer, healthier life.

Easto said:

I hate doing cardio, but I feel better when I am done and I know it will help me live a longer, healthier life.
living long lives is for wussies :insane2:

If you want to lose weight, you should try eating small amounts of diversified food 5 times a day, at regular hours.
Try to eat more at breakfast, because the calories you get will be burnt during the day. Also, try eating less at the last meal of the day, so that when you sleep you don't have to burn those calories.

Easto said:

The food you eat is much more important to your life expectency...Cardio is an added bonus...

After my cycle I shocked the body and ate heavy, I was around 213lb at 17%bf.
BP was at 138/89.

I dieted, cardio and high rep weightlifting got me down 2mo later to,
188lb probably 10%bf and a BP of 119/78.

Having gained 30lb+ on my first 13wk eq cycle made me have horrible back pains/pumps. I was immobile, strong as hell but always tired. I hated how it became so hard to move around and flexibility dropped like crazy. I always wanted to get big but after noticing how that feels, I think I am never going over 200 lb+ ever again. Good luck with your bp im sure you will fix that soon.

Back