how long does it take for an abscess to form?

des3587

I did a shot in my glute about a week and a half ago. It was a little sore, but other than that it was fine...until last night, I noticed a lump that was slightly painful. Could this be an abscess, or knotted muscle, or scar tissue? I used a rather large needle (20 gauge), could that have anything to do with it?....anyway, why would it take so long to form?

If that shot is from a week ago...you might have an issue.

Of course, you might not have noticed it before now and you might have done something that aggrivated it. Many times, you will pop a vein and fill the area with blood. That blood and the oil from the shot leaves a mess that is very conducive to bacterial infection.

I would try ice and heat on it. I would also go with some advil.

Hopefully, it isn't anything. You certainly don't need to inject in that same spot until after the problem is gone.

hard to tell, it could be or it may not be, what does the lump look like? Red? Discolored? Hot to the touch etc.?

20g are not the best for injecting imo. You don't need to go that big.

All you can really do is keep a close eye on it. If you begin to symptoms of a flu or get really scared from some reason go see a doc.

I know the basics,
cleaning the skin with alcohol as well as the lid
(good idea to inject after a shower so that your clean)
making sure the gear u get is clean
never reuse needles...
but i was wondering if there is anything else?..

des3587 said:
I did a shot in my glute about a week and a half ago. It was a little sore, but other than that it was fine...until last night, I noticed a lump that was slightly painful. Could this be an abscess, or knotted muscle, or scar tissue? I used a rather large needle (20 gauge), could that have anything to do with it?....anyway, why would it take so long to form?

I know when I did my first cycle I injected into my delt once and it got extremely sore and blew up. It was red, extremely hot to the touch and became a severe infection (maybe the beginings of an abcess). I freaked out, but waited 2 week and it went away, others may not be too lucky. But also I have had lumps before and they have gone away after two weeks. If they hadn't I probably would have gone to a doctor. So if its not painful, red and inflamed I would wait a week or so and if it still is there consult a doctor.

I injected in my right quad about 10 hours ago and about 2 inches down it is hurting if i push it, did I not inject into muscle and into fat tissue? (25g 1")

hopefully just a hematoma or something simple. how often are you rotating sites? 20g is good for drawing but too big for injecting IM. get 25g pins.

I think I injected too low in my quad, can this be a problem? Sorry to threadjack but I'm quite scared at the moment. The area around the shot is hurting but only if i press it but it is hot compared to the rest of my body. Any ideas if this an abscess in the making?

an abscess in under 24 hours? doubt it

assuming your gear is good and you didn't contaminate anything

I injected too low in my quad once, it was my first ever inject and it scared the shit out of me. The oil must have leaked out and soaked into my knee cap because my knee swelled up like a bitch and i could barely limp for about 9 days untill it went away. just wait it out and see what happens.

Depending on your gear... 25 gauge can be to small to push the thick oil through the pin. 22-23 gauge might have to do...
but when you go bigger I have found that you have to watch the site for about 5 min afterwards. I have had some blood/ oil leak back out the site.
WATCH OUT FOR THIS
Don't just pull your drawers back up and go on your way!
If you don't wipe if off with an alcohol swab it will give you a rash/ big itchy lump.
I never had to see a physician... but it is a pain in the ass (if you know what I mean)

Back