how many exercises and sets for each muscle group?

@coleman

How many exersies/sets do you guys do for each muscle groep?

This is an exemple on how I do it:
legs: 5 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
chest: 3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
back: 3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
shoulders: 2/3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
triceps: 2 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
biceps: 2 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
calfs: 1 exercises, 3 sets

I noticed that on the boards in the Netherlands (that's where I'm from) people do a lot more exercises and sets. They do 4/5 exercises for chest and for each exercise 4 sets, for example. Isn't this way to much(for people who train natural)??
I now that for every body something else works, but in general, it still looks way to much to me.

8-10 reps per set. it is just an example. But if people do 4/5 exercises and for each exercise 4 sets of 8 reps for chest/back, that's to much I think. that's my question.

You nailed it when you said everyone is different. If your training like that and not gaining (and your diet is in check...) try dropping the volume a little.

I think people are much to scared to overtrain. Look at the guys back in the 60's and 70's. They worked out 2 times a day - for 2 hours at a time! They were fucking jacked - more so than most on any board. Usually if your not gaining and your working out, it's probably diet related. I think you gotta work pretty hard to overtrain. Just my opinion.

I train based how I feel, some days volume will be a little high and some days very low. I have done as few as 2-3 sets for chest for example, and gone much higher some days.

outlawtas2 said:
Oh, and are you having trouble gaining right now?

I think I am not gaining the amount that I could. My diet was always pretty good (clean food) but now I think it was to low on fat and carbs. So one year ago I started a better diet with more carbs/fat/protein. Since then I gained 18 pounds, but I don't no how much of that is fat. I think 5-8 pounds where muscle gains.

are you on cycle? 18lbs is a very good, off or on cycle!

What exactly are your goals? IF your diet is good, just make sure your focusing on heavy compound lifts in the right rep range.

outlawtas2 said:
You nailed it when you said everyone is different. If your training like that and not gaining (and your diet is in check...) try dropping the volume a little.

I think people are much to scared to overtrain. Look at the guys back in the 60's and 70's. They worked out 2 times a day - for 2 hours at a time! They were fucking jacked - more so than most on any board. Usually if your not gaining and your working out, it's probably diet related. I think you gotta work pretty hard to overtrain. Just my opinion.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, you hear the words "I think I'm overtraining" way to much these days, back in the 70's these guys were destroying there muscles for hours and hours day after day. I personaly respond very well to short breaks, although I never push it when my joints/tendons feel sensitive..then I'll give that bodypart a couple of days off.

On average I would say I train each body part with 3-4 sets / 8-12 reps , I tend to finish of each muscle group with a good pump so blood is left floating around I then quickly down my protein shake and simple carbs.

outlawtas2 said:
are you on cycle? 18lbs is a very good, off or on cycle!

What exactly are your goals? IF your diet is good, just make sure your focusing on heavy compound lifts in the right rep range.

I never have used any storoids. Yes 18 pound looks good, but like I said a lot of it is fat. So when I am cutting and lose more then 10 pounds than there isn't much muscle gain left for one year of training.

My goals are to gain muscle's. I think my diet is now pretty good, maby still a litle low on fat and carbs. But I am gaining every week 1 pound maby a litle less. So I don't want to eat more carbs and fat because then I am gaining to much fat.

@coleman said:
How many exersies/sets do you guys do for each muscle groep?

This is an exemple on how I do it:
legs: 5 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
chest: 3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
back: 3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
shoulders: 2/3 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
triceps: 2 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
biceps: 2 exercises, and each exercise 3 sets
calfs: 1 exercises, 3 sets

I noticed that on the boards in the Netherlands (that's where I'm from) people do a lot more exercises and sets. They do 4/5 exercises for chest and for each exercise 4 sets, for example. Isn't this way to much(for people who train natural)??
I now that for every body something else works, but in general, it still looks way to much to me.

what are you tryin to be,powerlifter or bodybuilder? then you can get a direct answer to your question..... :rockband:

I do 4 to 5 maximum excersies per body part. anything over that is over training. You get these kids who stroll up to the gym on chest day and hit flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, dumbell flys, cable flys, seated flys, dips, incline dumbell presses.....that is called over training and does you no good.

Back