How many reps is best to build muscle mass?

Damn amazin, you got me to reply to the old post too!

Good your searching bro, just check the dates before replying ;)

I didnt read everyones post but heres my .02

I like mixing shit up. I love the 5x5 with a spotter. I feel that works the best with the muscle fibers. However, if I have no spotter I lighten up the weight a little and go for more reps.

My goal each time is to make sure I can get the best pump as possible. MOST guys take to much time inbetween sets..including me up until about 6 months ago. When I sped things up I noticed way better pumps and results..just something to think about

Op you didn't really say what you mean by "low reps". If you mean 5 reps and under I would say that is definitely not the correct rep range for maximum muscle mass. Read this to find out the scientific explanation for the optimum rep range -
How many reps to build muscle...

this^^

i just read an article in Flex magazine about a workout called Linear Periodization and several more workouts and iv done the first month and i liked it,ive never tried anything like it in my life in essence it looks like this

1st week-3 sets of 12-15 on all muscle groups

2nd week-3 sets of 9-11

3rd week-3 sets of 6-8

4th week-3 sets of 3-5

after the 1st month,change all excercises and start all over,but start backwards.....

1st week-3 sets of 3-5

2nd week 3 sets of 6-8

3rd week- etc....

than there is another periodization the next 4 weeks with different excercises and rep schemes,....its soomething new to me and might work for you,if you've never done anything like this it might work,if you try it,you will find out which rep scheme works for you best,i think this is the idea of the whole program,good luck

4th week

This is almost like what i do. for 3 weeks ill lift in the 8-12 rep range, then for 2 weeks ill lift in the 1-6 rep range, then back to 8-12 for another 3 weeks and so on and so forth.

My lifting partner got me on Dorian Yates' blood and guts routine. Basically you are doing two sets per exercise - the warm up set is about 40% of your max then the workout set is a weight you can do 6-7 times maximum. The whole workout should take more than an hour. Google it, he has videos on his website.

I thought it wa stupid when my buddy suggested it, but now I swear by it. I've had my best gains; both mass and strength with this routine.
I have noticed my biggest gains on the Blood and Guts routine as well, especially in my chest which is a plus for me since it is my hardest developing.

you guys really call 3 sets a workout? (no offence) but less them 5 sets is nothing but a warm up.....

i see alto of guys posting 3 or 4 sets of this or that.. you mean total for the workout? id be done a workout in 15-20min if thats the case.
I rec going for 40-50min lifting HEAVY with asmany "sets" as you can do. be it 10 or 25... but then rest the next day and repeat another body part. :-D

I've seen different people build mass on work out plans that we would all laugh at. People are so different when it comes to this that it isn't even funny.

Couldn't agree more.
Seen some people train like fools and still gain muscle..

Work sets 6-8 reps
Soon as you get 9 time for more weight
Power bodybuilding baby
6-8 work sets per body part = mass

EAT EAT EAT! When u train go for 6-8 reps. If u get 8 reps and ur not really struggling, throw another plate on and do it again. Make sure u eat 2 peanut butter and banana sandwiches before bed! You will be sure to put on some good size :)

Back