How much protein do I need?

Libra Guardian

Hi everyone, I'm not sure how much protein I should be eating daily. I'm 33 years old, 6'2 207 lbs. My body fat is approx 17.5-19%, and I really want to get cut. 2 1/2 years ago, I was up to 240 lbs of pure fat lol. I changed my diet, and started doing a lot of cardio.

Now, I am lifting weights and doing cardio 3-5 times a week. I finally got to that point where I feel shitty and guilty if I don't work out. I'm there, I love it, but I want to take it to the next level.

My main goal right now, is to build muscle, but primarily lose the body fat. I want a nice set of abs. I'm cutting down my calories, but I don't know how much protein I should be eating on a daily basis.

I'm lifting weights, jogging for about 30-45 mins, and about to join a mens bball league. If you have any advice on different workouts to help me burn fat, I'd really appreciate it. Once I get a better knowledge of diet/training, I'll start a workout thread to track my progress and keep me motivated. Thanks in advance for any advice, I really need it, and appreciate any feedback. Take care!!

At least one gram of protein per bodyweight my friend. Theres lots of different routines to help in shedding fat. The best workout ive found so far honestly overall is reg parks 5x5 system. That along with cardio will be very beneficial for you. Good luck

Thanks Metal. I just looked up the reg parks system. never even seen that before, thanks for the info. Damn, I've only been taking in 60-90 grams of protein a day. I've built some muscle in my biceps/triceps, but have had trouble building any muscle in my chest. Must be because I'm not getting enough protein. Thanks!!

Haha yeah man, very possible, protein is very essential for muscle repair and build. Im sure you know that. just take in 200+, and get you a good routine and youll see some awesome results. Not to mention, when you get SERIOUS about it, get a good diet plan. Diet is just as important as lifting. Once i got my diet in check, thats when i started to see the real results, and with regs workout scheme, its been a major change for me. Best of luck brah

I've been lifting for about 30 years and doing AS for better than 10. I'm 6'0", 202 lbs. and was recently tested at 8.5% bf. I am now consuming about 300 grams of protein a day. When I was aggressively bulking up to 220 lbs. 10 years ago I went as high as 500 grams a day and about 7,000 total calories.

Lifting weights and consuming enough protein to gain muscle is in my opinion the best thing you can do to get and stay lean. Each pound of muscle you add burns 30-50 additional calories per day at rest. Cardio is also important, and high intensity cardio is best because it bumps up your metabolism and this lasts all day. Try HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Hey man for a good diet plan talk to 3J. He's got an ad on the right and a whole forum on the web page.

Thanks everyone for the advice. For the last week, I've started the 5x5 routine. I really like it! I've also finally got up to about 200-210 grams of protein/day. It's really hard finding the proper foods to get that much protein for a vegan, bit I've found some great protein powders that I've been taking.

Today I'm going to the gym to run for 45 mins, and swim for 20. Tomorrow I will start the HIIT. I can feel myself getting stronger, but damn I'm really want to get rid of this ugly belly fat.

I'm still around 205-208 lbs, I was hoping to see some weight loss. My clothes fit much better though, could it be that I'm loosing a little fat but also building muscle??? Thanks again to everyone. This really helps! Have a great new years!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. For the last week, I've started the 5x5 routine. I really like it! I've also finally got up to about 200-210 grams of protein/day. It's really hard finding the proper foods to get that much protein for a vegan, bit I've found some great protein powders that I've been taking.

Today I'm going to the gym to run for 45 mins, and swim for 20. Tomorrow I will start the HIIT. I can feel myself getting stronger, but damn I'm really want to get rid of this ugly belly fat.

I'm still around 205-208 lbs, I was hoping to see some weight loss. My clothes fit much better though, could it be that I'm loosing a little fat but also building muscle??? Thanks again to everyone. This really helps! Have a great new years!!

Yea you could be gaining muscle but like everyone says diet is everything. And loosing all that wont happen over night but if you get real serious and get a good diet and workout going i guarantee you you will start to really like your transformation. Good to see your trying to better yourself and best of luck to you.

Do take deep breath in fresh air, Take multivitamin regularly,
Share your problems with your family, Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other stimulants...

Damn, I can't thank everyone enough for the words of encouragement and all the advice. Since my last post, I've started HIIT 3x's a week, and focused more on cardio. I'm still trying to get the proper amount of protein my body needs, but it's hard. I'm still doing research on different products; the vegan style is really hard now that I want more and more protein.

Today was my first day of fitness boot camp. Although i have a golds gym membership, I also just joined a local personal trainer's boot camp. I'm paying for 3x's a week, and he's also writing up an 8 week meal plan for me to go along with my training. He really blew me away on my initial consultation... After I told him my diet, he said I wasn't eating ENOUGH. He said it may sound strange, but I wasn't giving my body enough fuel. I need to look at my body like an engine, and my food being my fuel. I'm not giving it enough fuel so therefore it was harder for me to lose weight/build muscle. He said he has no problem with me being a vegan, but if I wanted to diet the right way, I'd really have to be consuming LOTS of food to compensate for my non meat diet. He also asked that I read an article by Mark Sisson, The Primal Blue Print. I've started to look it over and it's really interesting. I'm really torn with this vegan thing LOL.

Well, like I said today was my first day of fitness camp. After some insane warmups/stretches, I did 2 rounds of 5x5 bench press, bent rows, and shoulder presses. After that I had 2 rounds of these workouts for my biceps and triceps with this long handle bolted into the wall, and I used my bodyweight to basically do preacher curls and tri pushdowns. I then did these squats where I had a dumbell on my shoulder while doing it. Also jumping jacks, farmers carries, and planks for 2 mins.. IT FELT AMAZING!!!! I am going to start my first workout thread on the proper forum page. I'll include body pics (how embarrasing!!lol) my diet, and supplements. So please view my thread once I create it, keep cheering me on!! Cheers to all of you and to good health!!! 1 luv!

Back