How often to train each body part?

jediclampet said:
Is there no place for doing full bodyworkouts, say once every three days? I have heard of people having success putting on mass with such a routine although I have never tried it. Here's an example:

Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Seated Rows 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Bench Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Tricep Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises 1 X 8 - 12 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Do this routine, rest 2 days and repeat. Is this a bad idea?

Pretty much every guy in the gym that I see there 5 nights a week does this. And I tell you, since Ive been going to this gym, it dosnt seem to me that these guys have agained anything. Most of them usually just go arms and chest 5x a week.....they will occasionally throw in a set of squats. So I would have to say that it is a bad idea from what Ive seen.....but what the fuck do I know.....ask Biggie

jediclampet said:
Is there no place for doing full bodyworkouts, say once every three days? I have heard of people having success putting on mass with such a routine although I have never tried it. Here's an example:

Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Seated Rows 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Bench Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Tricep Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises 1 X 8 - 12 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Do this routine, rest 2 days and repeat. Is this a bad idea?
This seems to me like a well composed full body program.

Full body workouts can prove very effective, I believe, if you put them into some kind of system. I´ve been doing almost exclusively full body workouts the last year, first HIT-style, but now HST-style, with good results.

Now i perform full body workouts (2-)3 times a week, alternating between two (slightly overlapping) sets of exercises. Cirka 15 exercises per workout. 1, sometimes 2, sets per exercise. Seldom to complete failure, usually stop 1-2 reps ahead of failure (to avoid CNS-fatigue). Cycles of 6-8 weeks, increasing weight continually in the cycle, so reps drop from 15-20 to 4-6. Then cirka 10 days of rest, and new cycle.

By the way, I´m far from an advanced bodybuilder, but this works well for me. I also like the time-saving aspect about working out no more than 2-3 times a week, as my schedule often is (more than) full.

I'm starting to learn olympic weightlifting. The guys that train there usually do squats (different variations) everyday, but not all out to failure. One day a week they do triples, another day they do sets of 5 reps. But they are working their legs every day with different types of squats and weightlifting exercises. A lot of these guys have huge quads. I just started it this week predict that it will really put some mass on my legs. Plus it is fun to throw the weight down on the ground.

once a week for everything but calves. i feel that my chest is lacking so i do lots of pushups in between chest days.

Back