how to train while cutting

ghost face

wanna start cutting for this summer wondering how should i train

high rep?
low reps?

and how much cardio should i do

I am for sure no expert and this is actually my first time really going and the cutting thing, but I will try and help out! :)

From my understanding you want to keep training simple and heavy for the most part. you will already be setting your self up to over train your muscles and burn out, just with cutting calories alone.

I am keeping weight training very basic and sticking with mostly compound movements. I would say use both low and high reps, but keep it simple to keep strength up as much as possible.

Cardio I am actually going to try and stay clear of at first, if needed I will add 20-30 min low intensity a few times per week.

My thoughts on the whole thing are, you are already going to be more catabolic(spelling?)so adding more would not be the way to go. I think it all comes down to diet, training really may not need much change at all, just be sure diet is 110%

Again I am no expert but I hope for your sake and mine, I am thinking correct! :)

Last edited:
It will be a lot easier to suggest certain training if we had your specs available... height, weight, bf%, supps, etc, etc...

plain and simple; to cut, you need to expend more calories (energy) than you consume in a day.
dont starve yourself; but keep your diet CLEAN and limited. 5 small meals a day.

lifting - higher rep ranges
cardio - 4+ times a week, 45+ minutes per session.

put up your stats and you'll get alot more feedback on how to tailor your routine to better fit your body and goals.

It will be a lot easier to suggest certain training if we had your specs available... height, weight, bf%, supps, etc, etc...

plain and simple; to cut, you need to expend more calories (energy) than you consume in a day.
dont starve yourself; but keep your diet CLEAN and limited. 5 small meals a day.

put up your stats and you'll get alot more feedback on how to tailor your routine to better fit your body and goals.

Agreed. High reps. Mucho cardio. High protein, Low carbs. 5-6 meals. water water water.

agreed
post diet and i'll help you critique it

on the subject of cardio and lifting, it's been shown that doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach burns fat at a higher percentage than after eating, i can explain why this is if you would like

that being said, cardio must be done at a low intensity to prevent catabolism and gluconeogenesis

on lifting, i disagree with the high reps theory as it's been shown that higher weight, lower reps cause the nervous system to go into overdrive and this can increase metabolism for up to 12-16 hours after the resistance is stopped

personally i use supersets to keep my heart rate up during weight training, i can explain this as well if needed

stats
age 23
weight 92kg
5ft,8
14% bf

diet

meal 1 9.00

8 eggs whites 1slice of bread (whole meal)

meal 2 12.00
300 grams chicken (raw weight)
100 grams brown rice

meal 3 3.00
4 egg whites
2 slice of bread

meal 4 5.30
protien shake with oats

6.30- workout

meal 5 7.30 pwo
shake with 2% milk

meal 6 8.00
1 piece of fish

stats
age 23
weight 92kg
5ft,8
14% bf

diet

meal 1 9.00

8 eggs whites 1slice of bread (whole meal)
cut bread and add steel cut oats or 5 minute oatmeal
meal 2 12.00
300 grams chicken (raw weight)
100 grams brown rice
cut the brown rice, not a very good carb source, use red potatos, sweet potatos, barley or lentils instead
meal 3 3.00
4 egg whites
2 slice of bread
repeat meal 1, make double in the morning to make it easier
meal 4 5.30
protien shake with oats
cut the shake, eat the oats and a lean protein source, 20g or so of protein and 30g of carbs for preworkout
6.30- workout

meal 5 7.30 pwo
shake with 2% milk
shake is fine PWO, make sure you are getting at least 50-60g of protein and carbs and drink sooner
meal 6 8.00
1 piece of fish

go ahead and eat the fish, but add some cottage cheese, which contains casein, a protein that digests within 12 hours so you have protein throughout the night, you can also add some blackberries, strawberries or blueberries at this meal, or some peanut butter(natty only)

You might want to add more green leafy vegetables.

I agree with Blueberries.

As an Aussie, can I suggest Kakadu Plums as well.

Back